This is what an online email scam looks like

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, May 31, 2009.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have never received an online email scam here is one I received today. I have not replied yet, how would you reply. You will need to read from the bottom to the top. I have the boat for sale and "Tim" is the scammer.

The 1997 Tracker Panfish PF 16

Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:55 PM

"Tim Neeley" <email deleted>

To:
    jedimanhunter

#yiv2048570962 .hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px;}#yiv2048570962 {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Sounds Good,
    I will like to proceed with the transaction asap and my mode of payment will be via bank check drawn on my bank (Bank Of America) as there are too many scams online with bogus paypal payment and money orders,the boat will be picked up from you by my shipper so you don't have to worry about shipment of the boat also the check will be sent with the fund to cover cost of boat and also shipment by my shipping company due to company policy the amount i placed with my company can only be written on a single check so that is why i want you to receive the check and send the excess fund to my shippers that will arrange the pickup when the check clears at your bank,once your bank verify and cash the check you will deduct your fund and send the excess fund to the shipping company so they will proceed with the pickup because i also have other items to be picked up,i should have handled this myself but i am not available to do this now i am currently away for my company seminar that is why i want to do this to facilitate the transaction so proceed to delete the craigslist posting of this boat if my mode of payment is accepted and get back to me asap with your full name,physical address and phone # to send the check to you.

Regards
    Tim

Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 11:10:06 -0700
    Subject: Re: 1997 Tracker Panfish PF 16 - $4000 (Greenville)
    To:

Yes Tim I do I just posted it a few hours ago.

--- On Sun, 5/31/09, Tim Neeley wrote:

Subject: 1997 Tracker Panfish PF 16 - $4000 (Greenville)
    To: jedimanhunter
    Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 12:42 PM

** ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: url deleted

#yiv2048570962 .ExternalClass #EC_yiv1984836529 .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}#yiv2048570962 .ExternalClass #EC_yiv1984836529{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}Hello,
    I am interested in purchasing your item,do you still have it for sale?
    Please get back to me asap.
    Thanks

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Find out the address of your state's Attorney General and give the scammer that addy & Phone number.

3. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    hahaha thats a good one I would love it if he sent them the check and they actually pursued it.

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    they are some tricky devils:angry:

5. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can print out the response and send copies to; District Attorney's Office and Attorney General's Office. However, most of the responses are from people out of this country or it's going to be someone that cannot be tracked down.

The best thing you can do is ignore him and just forward the information. There is always a remote chance that the information could be helpful to a case where someone has become a victim of something like this.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Copy years back I listed a farm tractor online. Was asking $8000. The first day I got 2 emails. One from Canada and the other from the UK. Said almost the same thing. They didn't asked any questions about the tractor other than saying it was exactly what they wanted. You would have though they would have asked a few questions just to make it look truthful. They both wanted to send me a check for $2000 more than what I was asking. I was suppose to deposit the total check in my account and then wire the "shipper" $2000. :smile2:

I would have found out later that the check was a fake or stolen.

I've received dozens of the scams from Nigerian wanting to give me millions. They even have a song over there about the dumb Americans.

7. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    You just gotta love that advanced warning in "Tim Neeley's" original post, Jeff. At least you knew what was coming! :tounge_out:

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Dear Scammer,

Thank you for your interest in my boat, I am a Federal FBI agent, and have been following you for a long time, now that I have enough information on you, it would be best to turn yourself in and send me all the money you have aquired, I know down to the cent how much you have scammed citizens out of. If I dont recieve this in 72 hours, I will fill out a federal indictment against you, and you will serve at least 20 years. However, I am sure I can get the Federal Judge (My Brother) to drop the charges, I have done this in the past, for a small fee of at least 10,000 dollars. Please if you have any questions like how to get the money to me fell free to send me another e-mail.

P.S. For another (Cost of Boat), I will throw in the boat.

Signed,
    Yourso Scrued
    FBI

9. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    You Can Turn Them in or you can send me The Email Addy in a Pm msg :wink:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ask for a phone number.

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SUCH A SHAME THIS WOULDNT WORK PROLLY god it would be soooooo funny! im a big fan of this idea!