This is Unforgivable

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY AND
    ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

A MESSAGE FROM AN APPALLED OBSERVER:

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington, DC.
    I got an unexpected history lesson. Because I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, veterans of "the greatest war," with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring words of Eisenhower and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the
    words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor:

Yesterday, December 7, 1941-- a date which will live in infamy--the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked.

One elderly woman read the words aloud:

"With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbending determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph."

But as she read, she was suddenly turned angry. "Wait a minute," she said, "they left out the end of the quote. They left out the most important part. Roosevelt ended the message with 'so help us God.'"

Her husband said, "You are probably right. We're not supposed to say
    things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech." The two looked dismayed, shook their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself, "Well, it has been over 50 years. She's probably forgotten."

But she had not forgotten. She was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading --- "Flags of
    Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about the battle at Iwo Jima.
    I haven't gotten too far in the book. It's tough to read because it's a graphic description of the WWII battles in the Pacific.

But! right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt's speech to the nation ends in "so help us God."

The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war. But they
    couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved on their hearts.

Now I ask: "WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF HISTORY?????????"

:sure: :what:

:cat:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's very sad the state of affairs that we are all in!People have figured that if they forget about Him totally ignore Him it's no big deal how sad they don't realize it only themselves they are fooling!:sad2:

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    they probably did that because otherwise they sooner or later would have some non christian immigrant read the word GOD, get offended, and then hire some civil rights pencil pushin lawyer to interpret his view of the separation of church and state in U.S. court, unbelievably win, demand the monument be tore down, an opology be made to the atheistic non-american, get an astronomical settlement for his pain and suffering that would take a working born n raised American 30 years to make.
    wanna see my feeling on the subject, look at the attachment. i have this posted at the bottom of my fishin page.

Attached Files:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    What is being repeated here isn’t accurate.

The WWII memorial actually reads “No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory”. It’s from an entirely separate section of Roosevelt’s speech.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I aint one to use naughty words but your post says it all.Our soldiers are bleeding and dieing for this country it's just terrible how and what some folks think say and do!!!Just my opinion!:smile2:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes for our country not God

no person or country should say we are going to war for God or our God will help us win. We don't want to be as the muslins are. They think they are killing for God. Now Is our God stronger that their God. Lets not get started because I do know one thing for sure. God does not want us to kill each other.

Our government officials should never bring God into running the country. God made it clear that running the country is mans work. No one should ever ask God for power over other men.

When George W Bush said he felt as though he was called by God to run this country I knew at that second we were doomed. What he said is the same thing the bad guys say. Remember this. We are only doing what God wants from us. It scares me that we have so many good hearted Christians in this country that believe it is the duty of government to force a God on it's people. Dangerous...Very Dangerous...It scares me.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hmmm, i dont think God is being forced on anyone. actually, its quite the opposite.I think what you are seeing are those good hearted christians getting fed up with their rights being taken away and are starting to fight back. Forcing religion scared our founding fathers as well, thus the seperation of church and state. however, some people are using that law as a tool by interpreting it to fit their needs which in turn is actually slowly doing away with the morals and culture that this country was founded on. not to mention the fact that my rights and beliefs as a natural born 13th generation American are being infringed upon because of people coming to my country that get offended because I believe in God, or get offended because my children want to pray in school, or might get offended because a national monument might have some reference to God on it! ummm if I went to say China, do you think I would be able to change their culture because I was offended by a Buddha statue? heck no!!!

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Morals had nothing to do with founding this country. We slaughtered the people living here and took the land to use as we wish.

I understand what you mean and feel somewhat the same but the problem with this line of thinking is that this is not your country nor is it my country. The country belongs to all citizens equally it makes no difference if we have been here 10 years or 200 years. It doesn't belong to us. It belongs to everyone and if you want things the way you believe then you exclude other americans. You can't make everything inclusive in governament for just a certain per cent of the people.

Once again people let me say this country was not founded on christianty This country was founded by a group that was getting away from their governament because their governament told everybod how to believe and worship. This country was founded so mem could not worship christianty. This country was started by men who killed the real owners, we lied to them, we used germ warfare on them. We killed 60 million food animals they used to live just to starve them to death. Then after most of the killing was done we got ourself some of Gods other folks to wip into submission so we could get free labor. We raised our children to sit under the shade tree and drink lemonaid and watch the slaves work. I can still remember seeing signs in Indiana that said ( no blacks allowed ) even as a child I was shamed.

Anybody that really takes the time to study this country is mostly schocked and in disbelief when they see the real story. We have lied to the young in this country for so long that most folks think it is true.

I'm not against this country. It's my home and I don't want to live anywhere else but I can't say I'm proud of what we have done to get here. We didn't get here being Godly. We broke all of Gods comandments and let nothing stop our path to the top.

I am sorry to the ones who will think I'm wrong. The fact is it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong. What matters is I just told the truth of what we did to get this land and how and why this country was started. The entire story is much worse and has nothing to do with God. We remain bloodthirsty animals.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    thanks for saying could not have been better said

10. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Now that is a total and utter shame. You are right, who gave them the right to change the words of history. This 'GOD' thing has been taken too far. This country was founded on freedom of religion and the blood, sweat and tears of our forefathers.

Its a disgrace to all those that lost there lives and fought for this great *free* country.

Its a total embarressment, Im appauled to tell you the truth.

Thanks Ace for posting this, its sad but I suppose its the thruth. :what:

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

Didn't anybody notice this???? People have now began to debate off a subject based on information that isn't even right.... I researched it and Gary is right, its not even the same excerpt.
    I find that rather humorous...

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    lol, wars have started from less misunderstandings. Now back to fishin lol!

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    yep, prolly time to end this thread. some people have a weird understanding of American history.

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    These sorts of thing just enrage me. 200 yrs of adaptation and a melting pot. Seems now its let every one change our way of life, speech and even Change our history. I will just stop there. It may be a hate crime or I may use the wrong words and up set some one. Oh, I forgot. My Give a crap is Broken.
    :haha:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    “People have now began to debate off a subject based on information that isn't even right..”

Exactly. I tried to be subtle, now I will be less so.

The original authors of this were liars, and with the intent to mislead us they quoted the wrong thing and then claimed that “so help us God” was left off. This phrase doesn’t appear on the memorial because it was not said in that part of Roosevelt’s speech. The purveyors of this lie may be the ones who want to change history, they may disagree with what quote was chosen for the memorial, or IMO the most likely explanation is that they get their jollies by making up stuff and seeing it get spread. Don’t fall for it.

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    now that is what is unforgivable. This is why we have to be very careful about here, misinformation. Do a little homework before you go getting folks all upset....

17. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Whether the quote is correct or not, it is a shame that God has became a 4 letter word. Let me also say in passing, no matter how offended these people are over the word God, they all want that allmighty Dollar that says " In God We Trust". Sounds kinda two-faced to me!!! grizzly

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Already been said but you can read the facts here about that FW.

I looked through all my pictures that I made week before last but I failed to make a picture of President Roosevelt's quote.

19. 1 fishingfool

1 fishingfool New Member

State:
    il
    But I feel that if people want to come to this country then they should acceot the way of our nation and the language also. American people need to stand up and put an end to all this crap we have stood back and thaen their crap and it has got to stop. Ill not go any futher an save you from it .but you know haw I feel...

20. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Brother, you sure said a mouthful there..Thanks..