this is random

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by natethe great, Mar 17, 2008.

1. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey boc members i was wondering if any of u do any carp fishing and what u use im asking this because on days like yesturday where it was to windy to take the boat out and i had to be at work at 12:30 i decided to do some bank fishing for carp so if u do any type of carp fishing please inform me on what type of gear u r using thnk
    till next time good fishing
    :wink:

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Something we are stoked about is fly casting for carp.

This is done quite a bit in Europe and it works. One of the neat things is you can sight cast to a feeding carp much like you would to a bonefish in salt water. I have a heavy fly fishing rig set up that is very similar to what you would use in salt water that works well for stripers and carp. However, nothing fights like a carp on really light tackle.
    Currently I am tying some floating flies for when carp are rising to the surface and little shrimp/crustation type flies for sight casting to bottom feeding fish.
    Something to do after the bow fishing season winds down. We usually bowfish during the spring spawn and start fly fishing after that.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon a week ago. I have had surgery to repair the damage but the road to recovery may be a long one. I am hoping I do not miss to much of the spring.

Later

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like to take my light spinning gear and go after them..lots of fun. there has been only one time when i wished i had my heavy set up and he was a monster but i guess thats the one that got away.

4. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanks guys itll help no doubt ive heard the fly thing and i thing it would be to tough so im going to stick with medium med lite eqipment with 8-10lb line but still itll help thnks again till next time good fishing

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The only place that I've ever been able to really get on some carp we just used a small extra long shank hook and pilled it full of corn. Just casted it out and waited or just cast to feeding fish like was mentioned earlier. I'm sure this isn't going to help but I just though I'd chime in.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    But I haven't caught or even SEEN a common carp since moving here from Iowa! I've heard they exist, but their numbers must be much lower then they are back home, because there you can't fish below a dam or most stretches of any river without catching one, and here....got me? Do they really exist?? lol Maybe just enough predators to keep them in check...?

7. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yes they do and i believe they are more common in lakes then in the rivers or ponds someone said they like to breed in light slow moving current and in a lake i guess u tend to have that y i dont know either but yeah im watch a lot of 5 combos on ebay and i think i might just get them they are med to med lite and im going to spool them with 10 or 12 lb test dont know yet well i have a good friend that fishes with me on the boat sometime for cats but even when were catfishing hes always talking about carp this and carp that well what im getting at is that he knows alot about them and i was just wondering what type of stuff u all use and some of yall have told me and that has led me to look at the ones im looking at on ebay so thank you till next time good fishing

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think i got a picture in my gallery of some carp i caught on my light stuff. the rod is a 7 footer, the real i'm not really sure but the line is proably in the 8 to 10 range.

9. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Try a med light spinnig setup with 10 pound test. Try to use a line that they cant see so you will have more luck with hookups. A differnt flavored dough ball would do you better that the vanilla butter and nut flavor. Give them more options and maybe you can catch the lake record. Im not the best at carpin like someone we know but i will get better over time. I plan to go out this sat to try some new stuff and if you arent working then maybe you can come to. Till next time good fishin.

10. natethe great

natethe great New Member

State:
    North carolina
    yeah man ill be out there bout 8ish to try it again well next week since were out of school hopefully i can get the boat out a few times o and next thursday is the first late night thursday so were out of school so ill be out there but i have to work 4- 10:30 so yeah ill give u a call king and hopefully well get on the lake o but bryson is wanting to go out also so it just depends well till next time good fishing o and dode u took my saying but it dont matter take it easy yall

11. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Alright dode. See you on the water.