this is odd...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mactheaxe, Oct 21, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    here i am crappie fishin with minnows. bobber goes down, i set the hook, the drag howls. nice. what could it be? a giant slab? a big bass? dont know, lets reel in and see. whaddaya know, a catfish. not surprising. it was a 2lber and its gut was huge. so i take it home and fillet it. im very curious to see why its belly is so big. so i gut it, find the stomach, and cut it open. noting but a gorged belly on grass. and my minnow. i thought catfish were slowin down during this freeze. anybody got any ideas? full of grass, and still takes down my minnow like it hasnt eaten in months. i thought it might be roe because earlier i saw a tailfin of what i would guess to be a 30lb channel next to the bank. is he diggin a hole? still dont know. anyway, its got me confused. what i thought isnt what im seein. i had a trotline out and took it down yesterday because all i was accomplishing was feeding the crawfish. what yall think?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    catfish will injest vegetation at times. its rich in nutrients, with larvas, amphibian eggs, even microscopic phytoplankton.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Them some big words for us rednecks Matt!! :wink:

4. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    Catfish should be feeding heavily right now their instinct shows them it's getting ready for cold water, so they eat more.

5. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Try baiting your trotline with grass next time.
    I prefer zoysia sod cut into two inch cubes and soaked in garlic and vanilla!

:smile2:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell it would probably work fine :smile2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    At this time of the year the catfish are just big feeding machines. You can find an odd mixture of items in the stomach. Now is the time to catch them.

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catfish are omnivores meaning they eat both plant and meat.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i once saw a channel caught out from under a muscedine vine,on a muscedine.(spelling?)

10. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Preston, muscadines are a prime bait for fall catfish. Especially on the Emory River system here where I live near. I have several muscadine vines on my property and make wine and jelly from them. I didn't get around to it again this year, but I had planned on making a muscadine doughball. It would be simple, muscadine squeezings, flour, cornmeal, sugar, vanilla extract and water. There's one fellow on here named Craddock who says he's caught some drunken catfish that reek highly of a muscadiney smell. I believe it, a good ripe muscadine has a fairly high amount of alcohol. I know I've seen drunken squirrels and birds in the past. :smile2: :eek:oooh: I had to adopt two new tom cats this year just to keep the birds and other drunks out of my garden.