This is my Essay on stink bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Matthew72, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.

The Stink bait industry is a multi-million dollar business. Cat fishermen have used stink bait for decades. Bought or homemade it is one of the most popular ways to catch catfish.

I guess I should explain what stink bait is and how it is used. Most of the bait is a gooey mess, very close to the consistency of thick batter with chunks in some cases. The color varies but is mostly a tannish brown. It is made from various types of cheese and fermented soy or fish. Some stink bait is molded into nuggets or dough balls by adding a binding agent, mainly a flour of some sort. In most instances the bait is dipped out of the container and then is squeezed onto the hook. Some companies make special hooks or lures that hold the stink bait on longer utilizing springs, mesh, sponge, or a combination of two or more of the three. The dough balls or nuggets, as some fisher men call them, are easily put on a treble hook, a hook with three points on it, one piece at a time. Stink bait comes in a plethora of flavors such as garlic, shad, blood, liver, limburger cheese, shrimp, and a hodge podge of combinations of two or more of those. Catfish being the scavengers that they are can not resist the potent odiferous concoction.

Doctor Mike (http://mike_esq.tripod.com) says, “There is a growing school of thought that shows no loyalty to stink bait or natural baits, fishing with whichever to be working at the time and often combinations of the two.”

It started with men making and using their own recipe of stink bait. One day someone must have been down at the creek fishing with it and someonewalks by and sees that they are catching a lot of fish and says, “That works real good you wouldn’t want to sell me some of that would you?”

One man, Danny King (http://dannykingbait.com) came up with what he believes to be the best combination: a bait that has proven over and over again to catch catfish, both large and small. Ruth Ann, started selling his bait out of the back of their pick up truck. Now they are nation wide selling thousands and thousands of little buckets of stink bait every year.
    Rusty Ryan (http://rustybait.com) made his first batch of stink bait in 1951 and by 1952 he was selling it out of his barber shop like gang busters. His business has grown every year since. The pint sized plastic jar costs a little over four dollars. His company called Rusty’s Bait now produces well over forty ton of product a year.

I myself have to say that I love any kind of fishing baits and lures but when I use the stink bait I put it on a treble hook with a plastic covering in which holes are drilled to let the smell through to lure the catfish. Right now I am trying out Magic Bait King Kat formula. I have caught a few on this and I can not wait until next year to try another one and see what it does for me.

So to sum up this journey through the world of stink bait, there is many online sources for information about stink bait. Thousands of catalogs from thousands of companies sell it for different prices ranging from one dollar up to ten dollars per package. Your best bet for information on stink bait is to go to the local bait shop and ask the old guy sitting by the checker table. Make up your own mind on the subject. Get out there and try as many kinds as you can to see what works for you. Just have a good time, because after all that is what fishing is about.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    By any chance, are you a student at SIU Carbondale? I went there back in the 90's.

3. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Shawnee Community College actually. I may oneday attend SIU. Thanks for askin.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Matthew, That was some good reading there. I hope your Instructor gives you an A..... I gave you a rep point for it, keep up the schooling and fish when you can.

5. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I hope so too. and thanks so much for the point. I was lookin at my points and I needed that one.I got some other essays but not about fishin. I will definately be writin more about fishin.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Interesting Mat, hope you get an A+ for it. Dick

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Mat, :worship:

"GOOD JOB" :thumbsup:

"GOOD READING"

"YOUR ESSAY IS AN A+ IN MY BOOK" :D

Take is easy Buddy,
    Bert :cool:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Matthew,
    Great job brother. I like a story that keeps the reader interested and your story did just that. Great job :thumbsup:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good job bro! Hope you get a A+, in my opinion it diffently deserves it. :)

10. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Very well written, Matthew,

I give you an A+ good job...

11. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :D Wow, I didnt think I would get so much feedback. Thank you all so much for the praise and I will have to one day write another one. Your kind words give me inspiration. Thank you all again and have a safe and wonderful weekend.:D

12. schmoofis

schmoofis New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I found this interesting article a while back on http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/gf_aa076502a/

...Many catfish anglers believe smelly baits are best for catfish, but Caprio disputes this.

"Most anglers think horrible-smelling baits work best," he notes. "But that's crazy. What stinks to you doesn't stink to fish. You're smelling chemicals volatilized to the air, but animals living in water can't detect them. They detect chemical compounds in the water. What you're smelling, fish can't smell."

13. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I did alot of my college writings on fish and fishing (I could always post some writings if people ask). I think your essay was great. (It is always good to have your writings looked at before you turn them in.) However, I found a few grammatical errors you may want to fix, or the teacher may dock a few points:

The <s>tink bait industry is a multi-million dollar business. Cat fishermen have used stink bait for decades. <I don't know if the 's' should be capatilized.>

Bought or homemade<,> it is one of the most popular ways to catch catfish.

Catfish<,> being the scavengers that they are<,> can not resist the potent odiferous concoction.

It started with men making and using their own recipe of stink bait. One day<,> someone must have been down at the creek fishing with it<,> and someone< >walk<ed> by and s<aw> that they <were> catching a lot of fish and sa<id>, “That works real good<,> you wouldn’t want to sell me some of that would you?” <Watch your mixture of tenses, past and present.>

Ruth Ann<> started selling his bait out of the back of their pick up truck. <No comma here, unless you were adding more like "Ruth Ann, whom started selling his bait out of the back of his pick up truck, is now a leader in . . . ">

I<,> myself<,> have to say that I love any kind of fishing baits and lures<; however,>when I use the stink bait I put it on a treble hook with a plastic covering in which holes are drilled to let the smell through<,> to lure the catfish. <Most college writing doesn't use I,me,myself as you are writing it for the audience (unless in the introduction or conclusion; however, this depends on the type of writing and the teacher. I would ask your teacher if you can make this part of the body personal. Also, you have done this a few other places.>

So<,> to sum up this journey through the world of stink bait, there is many online sources for information about stink bait. <I don't know if it is proper to start a sentence with so; however, I do it all the time.>

Great essay! P.S. what are your majoring/working toward?

14. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Hey Matt,great peice of work!Very well written bro. :cool:

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Bravo My man good job!!!!!

16. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Great essay! P.S. what are your majoring/working toward?

I was finishin up my AS in Automotive Technology. But, after movin away from all my tools and shop I dont have an interest in workin on cars and trucks anymore. So, I switched my major to General Studies for now. I will get as much education as I possibly can. Next year I will get some more then, I will find a job where I can use my head instead of my hands. I would love to write for a paper or publication.

17. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Hope you get an A. That was very informative yet interesting. Perfect.Don't change a thing.

18. ZZ170

ZZ170 New Member

State:
    Columbia,CA
    Good job enjoyed reading it:D :D

19. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I ended up with a B in that class. I am starting the next level this semester. wish me luck.

20. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    good luck matt........