This Is Good!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Since I'm new to this sport Ive been hunting around on "GOOGLE". Last night I looked for public archery ranges, behold this is what I found. Right behind Sam Boyd Stadium "Home of the choke Running Rebels". I just scouted it out after work on my way home to watch my Cowboys VS. Washingon. Thats a different thread..:confused2: I like this setup, bales all set up and marked from 10 to 70 yards, Its marked, not sure how accurate, great now I gotta buy a range finder..:roll_eyes: Anyways 24/7/365 and FREE!!!!! BPS is nice but they charge and have only 4 lanes and 1 distance and flat. This place has a couple of other bales at different elevations which is nice. Just wish they had a few poles in the ground for atree stand.

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Let me give ya a tip Mike. During the day while at work or whatever, look at an object and estimate the range then step it off. This is good practice as far as judging distance.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Ozzy! That looks like a nice archery range! Have fun and practice alot. Nice to have a range to practice at close to home. Nice scenery too! That's awesome!!

Good shooting to ya!!:wink:

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ya read my mind brother! I bought a catcher the other day and marked out my warehouse in 10-20-30 yard on the floor with paint. I figure the more shooting the better. Tomorrow will be my first launch at the warehouse. My work really messes with as far as hours. I did get it set up last week and ready to go.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Mark, Wasnt so far to home after I figured out the shortcut. Saw a lot of trash around so I guess a trash bag will make the rounds. I do it fishing, guess Ill do it bowing now. :crazy: What the hay, right.

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    thats cool Oz, i bought me a bow about 3 yrs ago shot it twice been in the closet since:sad2: enjoy it and shoot it!!!! i think i will get it out and start using it more ,seems like a waste just sittin in the closet

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nice looking lay out but if shooting in warm weather id keep a look out for buzztails.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's just what I would have said. Animals don't always give you time to use a range finder.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Kinda wish they had a side of a barn for my first shot. :crazy:

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree i step things off too but the problem i have is open field hunting with nothing to judge distance with but the size of my target. I can kill deer all day in the woods but have missed several in a bean field but i am getten better witch one god thing is i have almost always missed when im wrong. I know what your thinkg how is that good, well that means that the animal is not wounded out there running around. The two exceptions to this both wer spotted and doing fine, one with just a cut on his foreleg and the other was cut on the very bottom of his stomach my friend shot him with a slug just days later.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Looks like a nice place to shoot at. I set my stands up yesterday. Since this is my first year bow hunting I am not a good judge of distance yet. I took some 1 1/2" PVC pipe and cut it into six inch pieces. Painted one piece green, one yellow and one red. I sat in the stand and held one end of my 300 foot tape. My buddy drove the pvc pipe into the ground at 20, 30 and 40 yards. Now for quick reference I should be able to match the color of the painted pvc pipe with the color of front sight pin to use.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got some practicing to do. I wouldnt even attempt to take a deer or pig If I dont feel confidant in the shot. I figure next year. This is better than shooting, I can shoot all day long, been doing it since a kid. This is more spiritual, now I aint getting all religious on ya, plus I dont have to clean the weapon when I get home. :wink:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mike find somebody thats a competent bowman or a pro shop and get started off right. They can show you proper form and teach you what NOT to do. (ex. droppin your arm, not following thru after releasing) Shoot it every chance you get and in a week or so you can hit a snuff can at 20 yds. I got confidence in ya, and as you shoot your confidence will build also.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I set up stands I plan to use more than once, I take surveyors tape, that I always carry with me to mark blood trails, and tie a few pieces on branches at 20, 25 and 30 yards. It gives you a good reference when you are in the stand, and it's plastic so it won't give off scent.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I could have runned out and start launching arrows at everything right off the bat. I said to myself, self start off right. LOL. I bought a PSE DVD and they said if you shoot 1 arrow a week, make it count. I took that to heart. Next season is a year away, I dont want to start bad habits so Ill make every shot count. From the range that I found Ill find a few folk that will chew the fat.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I practice that way alot Mike. I shoot off my back deck thays about 15 feet high. Lots of times i'll shoot 1 arrow and go back inside. I can't speak for everyone but usually my first shot is the best after i have her tuned and everything is like it's suppose to be.

Another tip: Mark everything with a sharpie after you get it dialed in. I had a darton years ago that got to shootin krazy. Come to find out 1 limb bolt was backin out:confused2::confused2::confused2:. I have my rest,sights, limb bolts/pockets marked now.