This is gonna sound crazy but

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rat fink, May 29, 2006.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    dont pass me off as a nut job just hear me out i want to put a trot lilne acrose a river but i dont have a boat or even access to a boat and there is no boat access i have trouble getting doun there with my rased jeep as a traler is out of the question so i was thinking trow line but that isnt the same and i could trow the trot line but its inpractal becouse i can onlie get it out about 1/4 the way if i dont get snaged my self i was thinkingthe best way to do it is to not trow it your self i was thinking a catapult and jump box what u think [over complcated yes fun yes dangerous no]

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Don't you think that all those hooks and baits would get tangled on the way out. I know I wouldn't even attempt it myself.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kinda of depends on which river and where at your planning on setting lines. Some rivers get to be so shallow you can wade them and set lines. Others will allow you to set lines on a diagonal, while other rivers is just SOL for waders. Whichever you decide to do, remember you can buy a whole lot of catfish at Long John Silvers - a lot cheaper than what your life or extended hospital stay would cost. Make sure the prize is worth the effort.

4. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    good point but thats why i think ill use a jump box this is still all just an idea in my head but i have a small catapult all ready and i know itll trow a 10# weaght and line accross the river im just looking for input and im gonna have some spare time later this month and i like having projects lined up ... and i like over complicat things its my fatel flaw oh well

5. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats another thing the ablity to be a litil bit away [and probly behind a tree] whin i do this

6. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Heck build ya a little raft with a tow rope and a little outboard hook the trotline to it and send it across the river and hit the release to drop line and then tow the raft back how is that for complicated. LOL

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A friend of my dads could not swim. The way he crossed the river to his cabin was to use a big rock. He would pick up the rock and cross the river. I was small and can still see his head disappear under the water. A couple minutes later he would walk out the other side.

8. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont have a raft r aney thing that is boyent enouf to float an out board and i dont have an out board moter but i do have a 2/4 trebushay with a quick relise along with twine and some ply wood to make a jump box but that is a prity good idea

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've had better luck with trot lines by running them paralell to the shore in about 2 to 4 feet of water in a lake or river rather then across a river but thats just my experience which I really haven't had much of with trot lines since I was a kid. Maybe some of the trot liners on here might shed some light on the subject.

10. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ok,you Guys Are To Out There For Me!but I Like Tims Idea. Or You Could Use One Of Those Potato Cannons But You Have To Make Sure You Calculate Right.

11. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    the rock idea could work if the rivers down or i could walk down river about 40 feet and tip toe accros im not trying to sound like a jerk so domt take it that way

12. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have 3 potato guns to but the people who live on the other side of the hill from me dont like the noise from it but thall put up with 2 dirt bikes a 4 weeler and a v8 dune buggy i dont get it my self but it mahes perfict sence to them

13. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Please video tape this! I gotta see the the catapult and potato cannon.

14. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats why i wanna be a wase a way4 that verey resion

15. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats why i wanna be a wase a way4 that werey resion and ill try to video tape ith catapult but i cant do the potato gun thing becouse the people over the hill will rase a stink sorry

16. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rat Fink, I don't want anyone to get hurt, so hypothetically, if you were going to do this, could you lay your line out on the bank, carefully so it doesnt get tangled, and shoot it across with compound bow and arrow. Then find the closest bridge and walk down and tie it off? Just an idea!! Be carefull!! Stan

17. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    there are no briges for 6or 7miles where i fish and i dont plan on being aney where near it when i fire it [about 10feet away and on the other side of a berm or behind a tree] and fore safty sake attaching the line to the waght gust befor i fire it but your consern for my personal safty is nice thanks

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    got a question for you. what you going to do when a big log or boat comes down the river and gets tangled up in your line there?

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry but the idea doesn't sound good at all to me. From my understanding, you are trying to do all of that just to get a trotline across the river??? It sounds like a pretty dangerous idea to me, why risk getting injured just to put a trotline across the water? And like Catfishrus said, what are you going to do when a boat comes?

My biggest question of all is, why not just use a rod and reel?

20. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    no boats go down this river there is huge log jam one way and the other is a bottel neck made by a couple of rock bars and a rock splits the diffrence in the center too far to hop and too much current to swim and if thay do the river has just jumped its banks and the plase where i bank fish is at water level when usule its 9 feet up and a sher drop to the water