This got me started catfishing!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Sep 25, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Fishing with my Dad on the Elk river in Maryland my Grandmother lived there for a few years and I would spend the whole summer there 20ft. away from the river's edge my Dad bought a 14ft. alum. rowboat I'd row down river a few hundred yards to where some springs came in with some blue crabs and cut white perch or eel and catch channels one after another with my Pflueger levelwinders mounted to my one piece solid fiberglass rods

Attached Files:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Real nice Jim. That's what I remember when young an being able to go fishing.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Nice story. Being I grew up without a living at our home father, I remember my first night catfishing excperience. A neighbor took his son and me to a small place fishing. I still remember seeing that black fish roll over and show the white belly with only the background light. I probably was only a small one but at that age it looked huge to me.

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Thank you very much for sharing your roots of catfishing. My catfish roots started in Maryland too. Dad took me to Conowingo Dam and we fished off the catwalk in the "boils". That was 47 years ago. Sorry, no pictures but we caught some huge channel catfish. Things were so much simpler then. :wink:

Ray

5. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I sure would love to hit that same spot up again but it's been bought by the county and will eventually be turned into some kind of park at least people will have access to the river then for now if you want to get to it you need a boat or walk 1/2 mile:confused2:

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    that is a nice pic Jim and thanks for letting us know how ya got started on the catfish.

7. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Isent that funny Eich, I never fished off catwalk but I went out there everytime I went fishing for Shad in the Deer creek about the same amount a year's ago. I have no pix. eather, hell I dont think camer's were even evented yet at that time.:smile2: Man they really did get some humungus cat's off there.:wink: It was fun to watch them guy's pull them cat up to the walk with them drop net's, it had to be atleast 20 to the water.:crazy:

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I was about 10 or 11 years old in that old picture,it sure makes me miss my pop I just know every time I reel in a fish I feel like I'm sittin there next to him again that was a great feeling spending that time with him enjoying fishing together and him teaching me the improved clinch knot and how to cast those old casting reels.I wonder how much he would love to reel in a flathead?I'm sure he'd be as addicted as me:smile2:

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Lucky. :angry: Well at least your hooked!:cool2:

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Can,t beat those early memories!:cool2:

11. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    This made me go back and scan a bunch of childhood photos I found including the one of my first big catfish you can check it out in my picture album if ya want.
    this thing got me hooked:big_smile:

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Good stuff guys! :big_smile: I always enjoy old pics! :cool2:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We were poor and didn't have a camera until I was in my 30s.:embarassed:

Like most, we owe our love of fishing to our fathers.:cool2: