This evening at Lake Shelbyville

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Flyingpig, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Decided to take my brother fishing this evening so we headed for Lake Shelbyville to get the boat out for only the second time I've had a chance too this year. Everything looked like it was going to be a beautiful night with the full moon and all. That all changed as soon as I backed down the ramp and unloaded the boat. Must have had some bad gas left over in the tank I grabbed for the boat. Motor started up, ran for a second or two and soon after died, then we smelled the aroma of stale gas, when I went to check to see if it was getting fuel. Needless to say now the motor wouldn't fire at all. So after an hour of trying to get the motor started we finally decided to load up, but we still were going to fish whether we had the boat or not. We set up and with my brother now calling me his personal fishing guide minus a boat that ran, we decided to fish off the point, just up from the ramp. This ended up being a great decision. I got skunked, but my brother caught two really nice channels, the first one was somewhere between 8 to 10 lbs. and the second one somewhere around 5 lbs.. We had a blast, even though it started out fairly bad it all turned out really great in the end.

Attached Files:

2. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    glad all was not lost:big_smile: just to let you know the 2nd picture is a little hard to make out at least on my comp.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the good night...and catching a couple just added to it.

These cool evenings make a guy want to just be there!

R Green

4. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Chris, it's the picture. (Cell phone only does good in the daylight I guess)

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Glad ya didn't get mad and leave, looks like a great time was had...(side note) Sta-bil every tank and (knock wood) have never had a no start from bad fuel..... even first fire-up after winter setting.

6. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    Flyingpig it sounds as if something was telling you to stay right there anyway. The fishing may not have been as good somewhere else on the lake. I hope to get my boat out on Lake Shelbyville this weekend, barring any technical difficulties from work. Especially since I have worked out the bugs in the batteries which got me some paddling fun there awhile back:roll_eyes:. 10 hours of rowing and walking my boat, in the dark, back to Coal Shaft Bridge was not fun!

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Steve, Hopefully we're out there this weekend too. If the boat would have started we were heading for the area up towards Coal Shaft Bridge.
    I'm going to tear into the motor when I get home from work on Saturday morning. I'll be happy if it's just a plugged screen on the fuel pump.

8. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    Well here's hoping for a plugged screen then! I put in at Coal Shaft Bridge everytime I go out so just look for the yellow Chevy ZR2 S-10 sitting there and I will be somewhere east of the bridge. I will wait until sometime in the afternoon to go out so a lady friend can go along with me. She has been finding out that fishing is a great way to relax and now she can see that fishing from a boat is even better than the bank. Well at least the fact you don't get stuck on the bank looking out to the deeper waters where you just know the bigger fish are waiting:big_smile: