This could be stupid?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MO RIVER MAN, Sep 12, 2007.

1. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Is the Missouri river current faster when it's real low or is it constant with regular depth. I Know it's flowing hard when the rivers up but.....

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Not sure exactly what you're asking.

The current on the Missouri varies with the water level - higher=faster as you'd expect. But even when the water is way down, it moves along pretty good.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's usually running around 3 - 3 1/2 mph where I fish. Crazy (Josh) and I were talking the other day and I think he said he'd seen it upwards of 5 mph when it was at flood stage (he was out fishing, is how he knows. There's a reason his sign-on is Crazy:wink:) It probably slows down some when it gets lower, but I doubt it gets much lower than 3 no matter how low it gets since a large part of current speed is a function of slope of the riverbed.

It will fluctuate some (faster at the end of wing dykes, where the river narrows, etc) at certain points. Hope that was clear as mud.....:big_smile: Good Luck!

Branden

4. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Yep, thats what I thought. Thanks. NO need to change my weights for fishing this weekend. Ya know I can change a transmission and erect a building or house but theres things that i'm just ignorant too. I'm not even sure I know how the internet works. I always thought it was a fad like cell phones and rap music.

Just kiddin.

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know if this is right or not, but I have heard the average current speed is 6 MPH....Like I said I might be wrong, but thats what I have heard. I do know when floating my GPS 3.5 mph.

6. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I would think in the main channel it would be at least 4 mph if not faster and slower in other places of the river. I too just like Matt have heard it to be 6 mph.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've GPSed it, too, and the fastest I've ever seen is around 4.5. Talking to the local COE office, they say it runs between 3-6, depending. I've found 3.5 to be pretty consistent on the outside bends, but that's the stretches I fish, it could run faster or slower depending on river grade, width, all that good stuff. Never seen it any higher than 4.5, but of course that doesn't mean it doesn't run that fast in places, just that I've never seen it. Good Luck!

Branden

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Who ever tells you it's running 6mph is not out there with GPS. I find it pretty steady between 3-3.5. Just like Branden does. Only time I see it up at or over 4 is when we are on a sharp rise. When the water is high like we had this spring I was seeing the water in the 5 mph range. Although like Branden mentions different parts of the river are going to be different speeds and different stretches of the river is going to have a different downwards slope angle. All in all 3mph is a good number. Wonder what it would be like at 10mph?

9. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    You would need a engine block for a anchor HA HA !!