This burns me up

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Randync, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Took the kids fishing at Lookout Shoals last night. First thing we saw were 2 catfish on a stringer laying on the bank dead. One of them was at least 5 pounds the other about half that. I know people make mistakes but leaving fish on a stringer to die is such a waste. Maybe they just forgot the fish and somebody else pulled them out of the water. My guess is that they were either too drunk or too lazy to take em home and clean em. I keep fish but they are eaten, though if I ever catch a big one Ill let him go. To me and my pitiful catfishing skills, anything over 5 pounds is big. I don't eat fish but my Girlfriend does and if I bring fish home, she don't yap as much about how much time I spend fishing. Until I met her I let everything go I caught.
    Those fish on those stringer died a bad death for no reason, and will never be caught by anybody else, or make new catfish for us to catch down the road.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

waste not want not. The people that did that are wrong and I agree that waste is bad CPR the big one's and eat what you can't revive.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Definatly an abuse of the outdoors brother. I hate to see anything that can be eaten or released go to waste. Some people just do not have the same morals brother.

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    What a shame....

I was walking along the bank one day and saw an old black man tossing small channels, not big enough to be harvested legally behind him into the dry weeds. After he left later that night I cleared out some weeds and found nearly 20 5-12 inch channels dead, and covered in ants. Burned me up worse than any fishing experience I'd ever had.

Some people are too lazy, too drunk, or just too flatout stupid to CPR/clean and eat the fish.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that would make me mad also, thing like that are getting more comon.

6. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Down there where I fish alot, there are alot of drunks on the weekends, and punk kids. My kids are going to have a nice bit of cash at the end of summer from picking up beer cans we find down there. Keeps the lake area cleaner and puts some walking around money in their pockets. You have to walk a half mile to fish below the dam there now because Duke Power blocked the road because of people dumping trash down there.
    The other night we were there and some teenagers were throwing M80's in the water right next to some people fishing. I thought they were in for a butt kicking when one of the fishermen walked over towards them, but they took off.
    Wasn't the first time we found dead fish on a stringer down there either. We have found several dead carp with the eyes put out.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is sad. I eat quite a bit of catfish, but I only eat small ones. The good sized ones always swim to live another day. If know it's too big it gets sent right back. I don't really like stringers for catch and release I think they do a lot of damage. I wish I could catch people doing that stupid stuff sometimes.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Makes no sense to me either, you either keep the fish and eat them or let them go. When I go fishing if I have only one or two keepers when I am ready to leave I let them go. And when they are on the stringer I make sure they are in as deep of water as I can get them in. Why kill such a good sporting fish if your not going to eat it. Irresponsible people are all over the place.

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    May have been my stringer lol, my nephew forgot to secure ours the other night and it swam away. Talk about heartbroke.

10. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I keep mine in a bucket and change the water every once in a while. I also release them if I don't have at least 3 of eating size. Except the other night I only had one but I injured him removing the hook so I kept him. Ive been using mostly Dip Worms recently, on trebble hooks. Also liver on trebbles. Im not in love with them but they seem to work best with the liver. Been wanting to use more bream for bait, but they seem to be hiding out whenever I go fishing.

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man thats too bad.:sad2: I don't usually put anything on a stringer unless i know for sure i'm gonna keep em.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Doesnt make much sense... Im betting they were forgotten about...

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I would have to agree, its a shame but since the stringer was there I would say they forgot them.

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Man just another reason we need some laws in NC to protect the catfish....although if we had the laws don't mean they would ever be enforced but we got to start somewhere!!!!!

15. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    VERY WELL SAID and agreed

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats pretty messed up that somone would do that. these people don't care about what all of us appreciate. karma'll get em one day.

17. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think all stupid people should just explode!!!! I have no use for lazy, careless people like that. I throw almost every thing I catch back even when I catch 75-100 crappie, cause I have no one to eat fish with.

18. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i know where you are coming from i to see people do that sort of stuff i really hate to see people keep a big fish only for the pupose to show it off to others i have i new son 11 moths old and really want to help the future of fishing so he and others can enjoy the sport i love so much

19. This sure does get my blood boiling. If we could enforce laws like all the others I know we all could sleep a bit better at night, but it sure is a shame when there are people who don't take responsibility for all their gear. As an avid fisherman I would always kick myself in the rear for forgetting any piece of tackle back at the fishing hole.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sad some folk don`t care but i have lost my stringer before sad