Thinning BJ's Dip Bait??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Jun 10, 2007.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Everyone,

I bought a Jar of BJ's Original Dip Bait the other day, as that was all they had NO Sonny's! :sad2: I think it is a little dry, because I can take a stick and scrape some out and form a ball on my treble hook without any of it sticking to my fingers!! I was thinking DIP BAIT is quite a bit thinner than that! I know you can use Vegetable Oil to thin it, but how thin do you want it?? I know it is a Newbie Question, but I always used Dough Bait, Cut/Live bait, Shrimp, or worms!

Thanks for any help Ya'll can provide!
    Andy

2. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    with my sonny's I always put about 4ozs of vegatable oil to a 15 oz bottle. That usually does the trick in the winter. doesnt take that mush during the summer. You can also use fish oil. You dont want it to thin, just enough to make it sticky.

3. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the QUICK HELP !!

I will start ading a Oz at a time to get it right!!
    ANdy

4. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    BJs is more a dough bait then a dip bait you from a tear drop around your hook and pitch it out. If it was real dry i might add a little oil

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Bee-Jay definitely is not a dip bait. It was around for 30 years before the term "dip bait" was invented...

It's a dough bait. Use a treble hook with a spring on it, make a dough ball to completely cover the hook and away you go. When the jar of bait gets too soft from the heat, add some corn starch, flour or dust to make it thicker.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Marty on this. Bee-Jay is a type of dough bait. To answer the question on the thickness of dip bait. I like to use corn oil to thiin dip bait a little at a time until it has a thickness of a thick milk shake. If you want to make your dip bait more sticky add peanut butter.:lol::smile2:

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    BJ's has been around forever seems like, you can make a dip bait out of it if you want. Some of the things to thin it with are fish oil, veg oil, cod liver oil yes you heard me right. Can't remeber which company had it on there bait but they said use milk.You can alao use a chicken egg. You can use Molasses or Cron syrup to thin it as well as make it stickier.If you should happen to get it to thin you can add corn starch to thicken it up, a little goes along way. You want to end up with a consistance of peanut butter when your done. If you want to take it one step further you can add Cattail Fuzz, Dryer lint, shreaded cotton balls then you have a Punch Bait.
    Loop

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's interesting....I was thinking the other night what I could thin my Junnie's with....I've got crawfish oil, fish oil, anise oil, and other oils....

BTW, would it hurt to mix some of the Junnie's in some water and let "cutbait" marinate in it for a couple of hours?????Thanks for the info, brothers.....Dwight

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    only way is to try it and report back to us. ive put 3 or 4 cut up bluegills in an icecream bucket with some water and some blood flavored Magic bait dough balls and let it sit for about 12 hours to go after channels with and i got a couple 4-6 pounders but thats it. i think it would work with just the cutbait alone just as good.

10. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thankyou All for the replies!!

I can use the BJ's as a dough bait the way it is. I was thinking it was a Dip bait! I will leave it alone and just buy or make some dip bait for the rigs I bought that are like Looper's Rigs.

Thankyou Again for all the GREAT HELP!!
    Andy:big_smile:

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    CatfishHateMe,

Thanks for the reply.....It's hard to beat "natural" blood/oils, but sometime it don't work.....Dwight