Thinking Paddlefish already?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by NRA_Guns_Winner, Jan 26, 2010.

1. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    Well with hunting season nearly over, all I can think about now is snagging that first spoonbill of the year. I was just wondering how many other people on here have the same feeling. I can't wait to hit that Neosho in Oklahoma or maybe even Kansas.

2. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    haha yea i have thought about it.. i have never actually been but ive been reading alot about it and it seems fun.. i've snagged some 20 pound carp and gar but it would be nice to hook up on a huge spoon.. when is the season for that? thanks

3. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    The regs changed a little this year, catch and release is here. As for the season, dont quote me on it. Its something like March to May. Read up on all those regs before you go for it. Its fun and a lot of work, but I fish kansas and oklahoma for these monsters and have to always refresh my memory when it comes to tagging and daily limit, etc.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    wish i could fish for them, we dont have enough of them to really go for it in my neck of the woods...

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Okla. changed the rules this year--Catch and release ONLY on Monday & Friday. The other days you can keep one. You can catch and release all you want but once you keep one you are done for the day. License rules are the same. As soon as you keep one get it tagged. Saw a guy get a ticket for not tagging it as soon as he got it back on top of the wall. He was changing hooks so he could catfish and got a ticket. Also if you pick the spoonbill up with a basket off the wall you can't drop it over if you don't want to keep it.
    When I snag at Ft Gibson I just walk then down the wall and release them with out taking them out of the water.

6. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I'll be out trying to snag a few. I have never actually snagged any spoonbill. I've only got Big Head Carp and Drum. Maybe I'll get one this year.

7. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    im going to try this im going to go head and get me a oklahoma and kansas licsense so i can go snagging if anyone in wichita is planning on going when the water rises in late march early april let me no im up for the ride. and the season is from march 15 to may 15 in kansas yr round in OK(i think). 12.50 for a snagging licenses here i got mine for free last yr for oklahoma not sure if its the same this yr..........mayb some of us brotha's should get a snagging trip together to chetopa,KS or miami,OK??

8. ZachDinicola

ZachDinicola Member

State:
    Greatbend/Hays
    thanks for all the good info guys..