Thinking out loud...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by PTDixieGal, Oct 7, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Just wondering...why do channel catfish fiddle? I mean, I went fishing with my immediate family today and we caught a total of fifteen (SIX of them were mine!) and every time we pulled the stringer out of the water to put another on, they'd all be fiddling.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No idea,

but congrats on a good day fishing, sounds like you caught a couple of good dinners.

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    hummm, where you way back in the woods,,,:embarassed:

maybee thats just banjos,,:wink:
    puddle

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ONLY THE SLIME CAN TELL ( EVIL LAUGH!):crazy:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    HUH? Maybe I missed something here. Maybe it's geographical jargon. What do you mean by fiddling or is this just humor?

6. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Uhh...the sound that they make when you catch them. No offense, but I don't know how that's "geographical"-every angler I've met calls it fiddling.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Are you talkin about the pig noises they make? Kinda like oinkin?:smile2: I have never heard it called anything. I just say they are talking to ya. Probably sayin " put me back!".:smile2:

8. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    BINGO!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've heard the noise many times but I've also never heard it called that. :confused2:I've heard of small eater channels called fiddlers before though.:smile2:
    Thanks, new one to me. Must have not made it to OH & KY yet...:wink::smile2:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats what I have always called it here in Mo. Also. I knew what you were talking about!! LOL

11. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first but i understand now. I just say that they are talking to you.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    maybe they were having a hoedown? lol

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe we don't want to know what there saying either!

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    when the channels are croaking, or whatever you want to call it:smile2::smile2: making all the noise like they are telling you ( let me Go!!!!YOU!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

I always told my bros that they were hollering for help.or cussing us out..LOL..

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i thought the grunt was their way of saying "meow" :tounge_out:

16. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id probably fiddle to if i just had a hook in my lip and a stringer shoved in my mouth.lol.:wink:

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure why they fiddle......But it is a good sound to hear when the stringer is full. Congratulations on a fine catch:cool2:

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Never really heard it called fiddling.Like others I just figured they was saying Turn me loose,Turn Me Loose.
    Con grads on the nice days outing.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    All catfish subspecies are capable of making this noise....although channel are most notorious for it.

They make these "noises" by rubbing the base of the pectoral spine against the pectoral girdle.

The sound is normally heard when the catfish locks its spines as it's last defense mechanism...as it attempts to make itself difficult to swallow by a predator. (Guess they didn't count on the fillet knife!! lol)

And apparently the sound changes as they get larger...and is individual to each fish....and even some cats have a preference when it comes to using the left or right fins!

I'm VERY much interested to hear these "BIG" catfish make these noises...and would like to volunteer in the study!!