Thinking of upgrade

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bmaultbay, Aug 14, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I currently have a 2006 25HP Merc 4 stroke on my boat, app. 30 hours of operating time. I am thinking of upgrading to a 50HP, the max my boat can support according to the manufacture. If I go with a trade what is a "fair" trade-in value I should look for or expect? Am I better off staying with the 4 stroke or should I look at 2 strokes as well?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Brian I couldn't begin to say if the upgrade would do you any good or not. As for the hours on that motor I don't think 10 more h/p would do you that much better. As for the 2 stroke I will always be partial to them.:smile2:

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Are you recommending I stay with what I have?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that engine hasn't given you any grief then yes I would stay with what has been tried and tested and went that mile I wanted to go.:cool2:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Call around to several dealers and tell them exactly what you have and what you want to trade for - they should be able to quote you a price difference on the phone.

Be aware that many dealers don't sell "loose motors" - if possible, I'd find a dealer that moves a lot of boats and handles exclusively Merc motors, maybe a Crestliner dealer since they're a Mercury-owned company -- those dealers will be able to give you the best price.

I recently traded my 05 Yamaha 60hp 4-stroke for an 06 115hp 4-stroke and was given prices ranging more than $1500. I did the best at a G3 / Yamaha dealer because of his volume.

As for what the motor is worth, you can check the NADA web site http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-578-50250&l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601 to get an idea.

6. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    if you idle a lot you might want to keep the 4 stroke or go with a larger 4 stroke.

If you mostly crank up and run pretty good and cut off and fish, you might want the 2 stroke.

the 2 strokes are lighter and from what I understand a little more peppy than the 4 strokes. the 4 strokes are quieter and don't mind idling like a 2 stroke.

I also hear the 4 strokes smell better.