Thinking of switching to a Fluoro leader

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by JPritch, Jan 25, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I currently use a Berkley Big Game Mono Leader, 60 lb test. I have no complaints. The stuff is very abrasion resistant and has never given me trouble. Maybe a little stiff, but I'm used to it now.

I keep reading about Fluorocarbon and its "invisible" properties. Was thinking of possibly switching over to a Fluoro leader. Looks like Seaguar is a popular brand. Fluoro is more expensive though.

Just wondering if anybody has tried both and can chime in. Looking to compare the abrasion resitance, diameters, knot strength, and flexibility between the two. And ultimately if it's worth the extra cost.

Appreciate the help guys!

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    its all i use now. i fish the surf a lot and it is a difference make where fish can see the leader. on the river guys using flouro catch more stripers compared to guys that don't. its slightly thinker and stiffer than leader material knot strength and abrason resistance are awesome!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Myself i will not switch to it. I use 50lb. premium salt water ande and it is like what you use very abrasion resistant and ties strong knots. If I striper fished I might consider it but a catfish is not hook or line shy so I don't see the need for the extra expense. I do use 50 lb. clear but that is just a mind thing:smile2:. JMHO.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The flouro is great, but so is the big game. I use both, but for catfish it doesn't seem to matter. Now for other game fish, it might matter, but since I don't fish for them too often, the big game does just fine at a reduced cost. Just my .02. :big_smile:

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    the best line out to use by far for any fish

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mario, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing web site on the net!. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.