Thinking of putting together a little baitcasting combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Mar 21, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Even thoe, as of now, I swear by spinning, but i want to have one just incase i need it, for the reel i was thinking the Bass Pro Shops megacast (I think thats what its called) it looks pretty much like an abu 6000, But anyways, would that be a good reel for cats upto about 12lb with some 12-15lb mono, i would put it on a ugly stick catfish rod???

Thanks for the help
    Marshall

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have a ambassadeur 5000 on one of those rods myself loaded with 17 lb. test and it's a great little pair. If I was you I would stay with a 6000 or 6500 if your after that big of a reel, also like I said the 5000 or 5500 would also be a good reel for that cat rod. You can probably find some great deals at EBAY.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've checked those reels out, and they seem to be just like the shakespere and roddy cheapos. They just don't look like they'd last very long or work as good as an abu. Check ebay, you can get an abu 5500 or 6000 as cheap as the BP reel and have it last alot longer

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i'd say if you're trying to save a lot of money and it's cheap, go for it. if money isn't an issue i'd go with a garcia.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    either a 5600 or 6000 will work well.

6. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I personally would think that the 6000 would be the wiser choice simply because of the ease of servicing these reels , one good thing about the 6000 i like is the bushings and im sure some of the old timers can agree bushing reels are a lot more tolerant of us that are less apt to reel maintenance and repairs.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All the new 6000s I've checked out have both a bushing and a bearing in the spool. The bearings theoretically will last longer, but I've found that the bearings I've been asked to replaced, only needed to be cleaned out of all the old lube, and have new lube put in. They weren't worn out or burned up at all. Putting in the newer ceramic bearings I believe would make them last a lifetime like the bushings. Any thoughts?