Thinking of moving south

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Mar 7, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    My wife and i have been considering moving south but before we can make any decisions we have a lot of research to do. The four states we have been considering are Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina. What i would like to be able to do is get statics's from each state concerning cost of living, housing both rental and home ownership, average winter and summer temps., proximinity to rivers and lakes. If someone from each state knows of a web site where i can get some solid info from, or you have any good advice i would appreciate a reply to this thread or a pm. I am on social security disability and will be untill i can go into full retirement. I will need a part time job,but am restricted to how much i can earn, so i will also need to know about job oppertunities. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck if you decide to move brother.

We will always welcome ya in Ohio also. But you must wear the Scarlet and Grey.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Geez Steve - You move to any of those states and your ice fishing career is over!:eek:oooh: :wink: :big_smile:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have you ever considered Missouri? It's a wonderful place to live. Cost of living is reasonable, low unemployment rate, and tons of good fishin'. Just a thought.

5. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You need to give North Carolina A try .I live in New Bern and love it Rivers that you can catch every thang you wont from salt water fish to fresh water.Not far from the beach

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You should consider Missouri! It's a wonderful place to live.JMHO:big_smile:

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve, I've had those same thoughts every time I scoop the snow out of the driveway or bounce a hook on top of the water. I've always thought I would like to go Mountain Home Ark. but I found out I can't sell my home and buy something equal.:smile2:

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Steve, AOL is free so look at their weather. you can see any town or city and click on averages to get monthly highs and lows. I am disabled and live in Tennessee. I go to the doctors at the VA hospital in nasville and FT. campbell KY and TN. I am 30 miles from Clarksville TN and 10 miles from land between the lakes. I am just 2 miles from the Kentucky state line. There is no tax on food in Kentucky. Lake barkley or the cumberland river is here at home, 12 miles away is Kentucky lake and the Tennessee river. I am also within 100 miles of the Ohio river and not much more than that from the Mississippi, Many of the TVA lakes are close. We have rolling hills and valleys but no really big mountains. Our sales tax is 9.5 or about but kentucky for groceries is tax free. We pay 49.00 for car license plate. Our proptery taxes are low and tennessee is trying to freeze taxes for retired and disabled. If your income is social security you may get discounted property taxes now. You would be hard pressed to find so many rivers with big cats so close to one spot. My town is Bumpus Mills, Tennessee and we have a local campground and marina with many boat slips. There is no charge for loading and unloading boats. Our town is on the back side of Ft. Campbell and we have great hunting. This is truly a place to consider for retirement.
    The same house where you live may sell for 2 to 4 times more than here.
    We have one stop light in our county and this is one of the last places I know of where you can get a hammer and build your own home without permits. If I can answer anything else just ask.

Happy Home Hunting

Danny

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    One more thing, It is my belief that downsizing is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. It has kind of set me free in some ways.

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Dang---guess id have to fish for cats year round, maybe id better re-think this.:big_smile: ---------Naw!!!

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Steve, while I didn't see Eastern Oklahoma listed, I'll toss it into the pot for ya. Nothin like being in the middle of the US and surrounded by lakes to fish. I hope that you and your wife find a place that will make the two of you happy, and help ya to stay warm and fish year round!!!

12. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Oooppps!! I forgot to put North Carolina on the list.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If I were considering moving it would be somewhere close to the James. Couldn't imagine living somewhere where you don't even get the scales out for 20 lb. fish.

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Danny that is one thing my wife and i have been discussing, we have way to much stuff, with the exception of my fishing and hunting stuff.:big_smile:

15. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I moved from Phoenix,AZ back to Portland OR. with 2-24 FT U-haul trucks and a pick up, when I left Portland 3 years later and came to Oklahoma I came with a motorhome and the smallest covered u-haul they had and so glad I did.
    I am single and so glad I got rid all that stuff.

16. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    good luck in whatever you decide.

17. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Come on down. Populations getting a little out of control in the atlanta area, but 30 miles in any direction away from atlanta is still good. Prices are a littrle steep in my town but is the same the further from atlanta the better. Up in Roam georgia you got cheap prices and the coosa river for flats. Good luck in your endevures(spelling).

18. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Well I didn't see Arkansas on the list.:big_smile: Steve I hope you two find the perfect place. Good luck.

19. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I'd say cantral Indiana, but I don't even want to retire here. I"d like to retire in Alabama for the winter months, then return to Indiana for spring and summer.

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Steve, I can't really offer you any info on the states that you inquired about, but I can sure wish you good luck in your decision. I sincerely hope you enjoy your retirement. I hope you find you a wonderful place to live and enjoy the rest of your days with the sweet sounds of rippling rivers and screaming drags!:tounge_out:

BTW, NE Oklahoma is a beautiful place and the housing is pretty darn affordable most anywhere in Oklahoma. There's some great lakes to catfish up there and the rivers are pretty snazzy as well. Just a thought.