thinking of converting 5 speed trolling motor to variable?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by nevets91, Sep 20, 2009.

1. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    im thinking of converting my 5 speed foot control trolling motor to a variable speed trolling motor. my idea was to wire in some type of variable resister in the the speed one wire, either a Rheostat or a potentiometer and mounting it top the foot contol so i can get those slower speeds.

what are yalls thoughts?
    has anyone on here done this? i know some one has had to do this before and i think it should work. any input would be great

2. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I was talking today to my buddy about doing the same thing... I'am a electrician so I was thinking if you do that on a regular motor you would be cutting off the needed power for the motor to run...... So in my thinking it would burn the motor out rather quick. The motor you buy that has that option built in has a computer that controls the speed of the rotation of the motor not the voltage like a eddie current board on industrail machine in a factory so on that you would have 480v or 277 ect which mean you just draw less amps per voltage wiring....So any time you under power a motor it will burn the armature up(thats the inside of an electric motor).... But you can try it and tell me if it works:wink:

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Theres a place in Kannapolis NC called Fishermans Friend. They are a factory repair place for Minnkota. If anyone would know how to do this, or have an idea of what to do these guys would be the first place to call. Sorry I dont have the # at home, but look on yellowpages.com to find it. I had them add the auto pilot feature to my old motor and they saved me alot of money over buying a new one with it already on.

Another thing to try is using a driftsock to slow the boat. During the winter months I have to always use 1 to keep the speed slow enough and have the motor up enough to kep the boat straight in the normal winter winds.

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would think you would want some sort of digital speed control versus a pot or rheostat. If you are modding it you may as well. It would definitely save some battery life due to contact resistance. If you get her going post up what you did, I may be interested in doing mine too! Good luck!:wink:

5. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    what kind of digital speed control would yall suggest? i cant find anything that is exactly what i want. i want to to have it work like its made that way not just havin to deal with it having some problems

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The variable speed trolling motors typically use a PWM circuit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation With either a PWM or a rheostat, I think it's gonna be hard to come up with something affordable that will handle currents in the 30-50 amp range required for a trolling motor.