Thinking of cleaning my abu 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by anakin, Sep 11, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    This was my first serious catfishing reel, Ive had it for quite some time & think it is more then due for a cleaning. Im very paranoid about doing this though, & definety dont want to mess it up. Other then what is on the board as far as cleaning instructions anyone know of any other locations/websites with pics/instructions on doing this? Which reel oil do you guys suggest. Any tips from veterans would be appreicated. Thinking about tackling the job this weekend.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dwaine I took both of mine apart and you have to watch putting them back together. When I put them together you have to make sure the little brakes (little white things) go inside the housing if not then it will not work right. Also I dont know if I messed mine up but now my drag doesnt work real well I cleaned them off but they dont take much to pull out even with it as tight as I can get it. I probably have oil on them so I have to take them apart again LOL. Just take your time put all the parts on a white towel or paper cloth in the order you took them off that helped alot. One more thing is if you have kids have them stay away and just watch LOL it can get nerve racking.

4. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    the first timer pay real close attention maybe take picture with a digital camara.but its really not to bad watch the little spring clip thing when your taking it of from the handle shaft it likes to fly away and its small hard to see .good luck and maybe refer to the shamatics.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    First off Don't lose any springs or moon clips, Some come off ( or on) under pressure. The reel is not as complex as it first seems. Just lay out the pieces as they should go back on. After you do it a couple times its simple. The first time just go slow and study where every thing is as you take it apart. Find the schematic that came in the box to see how things lay. Strip off all that excess grease with a toothbrush, DAWN and hot water, replace with a light coating of oil and your reel will feel smother and faster. The only thing I grease is the brass gears, and sparingly. Clean and lube twice a year. Worm gear on spool, oil every three trips

6. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Its easy once ya do it a time or two,use the search and you'll find what yer lookin for

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make sure you have the reel schematic to go by. Watch for the little e clip on the crank handle, it can fly away. I use my digital camera to take pictures so I don't have to rely on my memory. I really like Reel Saver oil and grease. They are no very complicated reels.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i built a three sided box out of some old trim pieces i pulled off my wall to help make sure none of the little pieces hit the floor because there is nothing worse than looking for a little piece of metal on carpet other than that just follow what everyone else has said

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    About the drag -
    DO NOT GET ANY OIL OR GREASE ON THE DRAG WASHER AT ALL!

Abu drags are meant to be "dry" and if you get oil or grease on them it will screw them up.