Thinking of buying a fuel effecient little truck.

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh no, Jul 25, 2007.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My 250 Super Duty gives me about 12 - 14 mpg. Of course it weighs 6700 empty and has that 5.4 gas motor. I have been thinking of getting a second truck for my just run around stuff, going to auctions, etc.

A few years ago I had a little 1/2 ton Dodge short bed with that 3.9 V6 and a 5 speed stick. That truck was fun to drive and got 22mpg on the highway, as long as you stayed about 65 mph or so. At 80mph it would drop to about 19mpg as I suppose that little V6 was starting to work at 80mph.

I sold that truck because it did not have air conditioning and bought a 1/2 ton Ford with that 300 6, 5 speed stick, and ac. Well on it's best day it might have gotten 17 mpg.

I have always had 2 trucks, but when I went on disability, I decided to drop to one, and gave my boy the Ford, parked my Dodge 3/4 ton and got this SuperDuty Ford. Now don't get me wrong, I love this Ford, but the gas mileage sucks. So I figure I could use something more fuel effecient for small runs.

My question is, what are the drivers of S10s, Ford Rangers , Dodge Dakotas getting for mileage. I'm wanting a 2 wheel drive, V6, 5 or 6 speed manual trans little truck. I know some of you folks own something like I'm wanting to get, so I would appereciate your input.

I just hate to get a snow job by some car salesman. You folks know what the truth is.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    I don't know how you feel about foreign trucks but you won't beat a little Toyota for gas mileage, reliability and longevity. J.M.H.O...W

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My little toyota gets around 28 highway, and not much lower in the city.

16 years old and no AC, no power anything and 4 cylinder 5 speed.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a Ford Ranger short bed, loaded 4x4 V6. It gets 20mpg in town with air on. Its a 4.0 liter enging. I also pull a boat with it and the gas mileage stays the same. Auto trans.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not a great fan of small trucks. I feel more like I'm wearing them than driving them, and I'm not all that big. I can't comment on gas mileage as my trucks have been 4wd.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had this 93 Dodge Dakota V8, got around 20 MPG at 65 MPH.
    My Avalanche gets 22 at 65. Sometimes smaller ain't better. :wink:

The picture of the Dakota was taken in 05, daughter was selling it.

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    the old mazdas and toyotas get superb gas milage especially when you find a stick, the only bad things is the miles might be ranked up and might have to worry about fixing a few things...

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I'm wanting a little pickup with a stick, so I'm having to watch ebay. Most dealers up here in Indiana have automatics. You have to order a stick. lol I'm watching several on ebay, looking at a 05 Dakota with 28,000 miles. I failed to mention in my question that I am looking at used trucks.

I need something that can haul a few bales of hay or a little load of firewood. If I wanted a car/truck combination, I would have to go with that Honda Ridgeline, as Consumer Reportes has nothing but good to say about it. No offense made at GM products, I just like that Honda. If it is made with anything like the quality they put in small engines, it's a winner.

Anybody have a v6/stick Dakota out there?

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jim,
    If gas milage is The motivating factor for a compact truck purchase, you had better look at this first.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef55e1d/0

I highly doubt that dakota will get all that much better milage then Your F250. dodge trucks are notorious for being gas hogs.

I'm a big ford guy, and if you were after a full size truck thats what I would recomend. But only after checking out the new Toyota Tundra. I'm also sure that the Honda Ridgeline is a very Dependable truck But god is it UGLY

Anyhow back to little trucks. If you want gas milage, reliablity, and longevity you would Be a fool not to buy a Toyota. Toyota has built the best compact truck for years. Ford, GM, or Dodge can't touch Toyota in the compact truck segment!

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I certainly agree Toyota the way to go, but man you gonna pay for it heh.. Their resale prices/value is incredible (which is a good (seller) and bad (buyer)thing I guess :roll_eyes:)...Been eyeing them up for quite a while now.. ALOT of Guys getting over 300K miles on them no problem.....

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Pay for it now or pay for it later....

those darned little Toyota Trucks don't break....Everything else does.

12. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brad, thanks for that link. I knew the Dakotas with the 318s were rough on gas. When they first came out, I ran into someone that had a new one in TN when I was on vacation years ago.

I did not realise the weight of those Dakotas, looking threw that link someone said they weighed 5500 or so. Thats a lot of weight to push. Thats why my F250 is lousy on gas, as it weighs 6700 with me and my dog empty.

Toyotos have two trucks as I understand. The Big Tundra and the Tacoma. On Ebay they run about the same in price [ both high]. But that Tundra only has a V8 or the ones on Ebay only have V8s. I don't want to feed another V8. We have a Toyoto dealer here in town and I am going to go talk to those folks and sit in both of their models. Then I'll know if my butt fits in one. Hey this old man is about 235 lbs and my my Lab weighs about 60 lbs. Don't laugh but the truck has to fit both of us.

I have been thinking of trying to juice my 2000 4X4 250 into better mileage. Maybe I just should change the exaust and get one of those BullyDog set ups. More HP and better mileage.

I agree with you Subnetzero as the price of those Toyotos are high. I started out thinking I could get a cheap little truck for about 3k. Looking on Ebay I'm thinking I'm going to have at least 8k in one. I did not want a car payment. When I buy one, I like to make one payment and let me put the title in the drawer.

Thats why I have not gotten a new Truck since 1991 as I'm tired of car payments. When I bought my 250 last October off of Ebay, they got one check in NJ and it covered the truck and shipping. Send me the title with the truck.

I have failed to mention that I am extreemely cheap. If Kelly Blue book sayes the Private Party Value of a vechile is 10,000 I won't give over 7500. And hopefully less than that. That way if I don't like the vechicle, I can dump it threw the newspaper, and get my money back. Thats why the last 3 trucks I have bought came from Ebay and I finally talked my wife into that way of thinking. Her Cad she drives booked for 12,500 when we got it. I gave 7777 for it on Ebay and about 700 to ship it feom Deerfield Beach , FL to Indiana. Nice car- no rust-no salt.

I think I gave 8400 for my Ford 250, it was booking at about 12k. I can't help I'm cheap, it's in my bones, I think. I have always loved auctions as you set your own price that you will give. It is not like there is only one left. Ebay has at least 100 vechiles of any model you want.

But those Toyotos are high on Ebay tooooo.

I'm rambling, so thanks for the input. I still would like to know what a 2 wheel drive Dakota, with a V6 stick gives for mileage. On that link Brad everyone was talking about that new V8 they Dodge has.

:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Good luck stealing a toyota. I just went to Jersey to pick up a 2001 tacoma auto with 30k on it. I just spent a pile on it to make it right and I've got near 10k in it. If you want to "steal" an import, mazda's go cheap, but they are Fords w/ different badging. For the money, Nissans are good trucks.... IMHO
    www.coshoctoncars.net

14. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    My 99 3/4 ton dodge diesel makes a solid 20.5 MPG running to and from town and a lot of errand running around town all day long.
    22-23 mpg on the highway, I run the AC all the time and it has a 5 speed.
    I use synthetic oil and change it every 25,000 miles- have 310,000 on it and plan on running a couple hundred thousand more.
    Drive train will outlast the cab.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I had a Dakota and the milage on it stunk. ( V6, auto. trans 4X4) It had a much better ride than the small trucks tho.
    Bill

16. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Trade that gas burner in on a 250 powerstroke. Get 18 to 20 mpg. It'll out last any gas engine and pull 3 times as hard.:big_smile: