Thinking of building a jon boat..

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tomcat85, Jan 1, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Im thinking about building a job boat i was wondering are these things sturdy enough to stand in?

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 16' 6' wide alumicraft and have had 4 people in it at one time with room to walk around in . i wouldnt know how to go about building one but you could do a search on here i think stonemaster built some outa wood and markj builds boats not sure if he has plans for what what yer seeking . good luck in what ever you do

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Charles nailed it. MarkJ and Stonemaster both build boats. Stonemaster even posted plans on here once.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just make sure that it is condusive to the areas ya will be fishin in. I really don't recomend a JON for large fast movein rivers with tug and ship traffic. JMO

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I built one many years ago and used it a lot! - built it out of 1"x12" with a 1"x 4" glued onto it to give it 16" tall sides. Copied the alm. flat bottom boat design - tapering the front end narrower than the sides. Used 1" x 4" laid flat on about 16" or 24" centers (don't remember) the short way on the bottom of the boat.
    The seats and front end were all made out of 1" thick lumber and I had a 2" thick piece for the transom. I used a live rubber tape and screws to attach the galvanized tin to the bottom of the boat.
    I used a 10 horse motor on it and used it many years, sold it when I got a 18' flat bottom to built a airboat.

I used all #1 lumber, wonder if you can't buy a used alm. boat cheaper than building one?

If I can help you more please PM me.

Mark

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark unless you are looking for a challenge on the building part, I would suggest you buy an alumnium boat. Choose the size that is best suited to the waters you fish. Also note: You never said anything about safety or weight capacity. This must be taken into consideration. Manufactored boats already has this figured and listed on a plate inside . Good Luck choosing but remember safety first.:lol: :smile2: