Thinking of a new fishing rod...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by vegasryder, Aug 17, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I just wanted to get some opinions form you guys to see which one i to buy...

1.Ugly Stick Stripper 7ft rod(white) or 9 ft Ugly stick surf rod?
    2.Does the length really matter?
    3.whats the big difference between a 1 or 2 piece other than you can break one down and not the other?

Sportmart has the Stripper rod for $29 and the surf for $39

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

strength and sensativity is the difference IMO. I think with the two piece rod both are decreased. The extra foot on a rod helps with distance casting and the ability to "work a fish", it also helps decrese the strain on your drag. But use what you are comfortable with. I know it took me about four straight days of fishing with my 12 footers to get used to them(surf fishing).

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I love the 7ft Ugly Stik "Ugly Cat" rod. They are the best rods made in my opinion.

4. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Have to agree with Zakk, Picked up two today at Walley World for $29.99 each. These are two are casting and I have been using two spinning that worked very well for the price. Look for the little cats on the rods !

5. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Kenny, which particular stripper rod are you looking at?

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes the length does matter alot. If shore fishing the longer heavy rods help you decide where and how you can land that big cat vs a lighter shorter rod.

Match the rod (Lure Weight) to the weights & baits you will be using.

If you go with a longer butt on a longer rod you will not give up much leverage or may even gain over a short rod with no butt to speak of.

:0a26:

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was looking at the Ugly Stick Striper rod that looks exactly like the Ugly Cat rod.Dont really know the model number.It was 7ft and Medium/light rod.Seemed like a decent rod for the price.

I ended up getting a Ugly Cat Rod from Ugly Stick for $28 at Dicks Sporting Goods.I really wanted the Tiger rod but i cant see paying $59 as i`m in a tight budget rite now.I guess you can say i`m a "budget baller":lol:
    Going to try it out tonight to see if it holds up well to big cats as they say...thats if i ever catch one:roll_eyes: Thanks guys for the info!!!

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Most Common Stripper Rods Used Around Here For Ocean Fishing Are Very Similiar To What You Were Looking For. They Are Of various Different Manufactures But They All Usually Go For About $20.00 Used & In Good Shape. There's One Thing For Sure, The Cats Won't Destroy It :wink: :tounge_out:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You wont be dissapointed they arent as strong as a tiger but they will do. My uc brought in a fourty five pounder last year.

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i have good luck on the uglycat and uglystick bwc well made rod in the med hvy range but other rods are good to maybe kinda try them sometimes i do a bend test to determin the backbone but be careful i brock some good rods like this but not the ugly stick.good luck