Thinking About Updating????

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by catfish1969, Nov 13, 2007.

1. catfish1969

catfish1969 New Member

State:
    ILL.
    Thinking about updating My currant Depth Finder (Lowrance X135) I have had it for over two years now. During this time it as worked fine. With all this new high tech stuff thought I might upgrade some 1st off GPS on my next one, and what about color does it really make that much differance??? and what about the hummingbirds 997 SI models with Side image and GPS do they work as well as they say for the price they should (over $2000.00) Can anyone give me some real sound input... Thanks for any advice given....:confused2:

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a lowrance LCX 111cHD its a very nice unit and color screen is definatly the way to go IMO

all that said I have a friend that has a hummingbird 997 and its so sweet, I'll be getting one in another season or so, the side view is freakin awesome!

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    one bad thing on the 997 is i havent been able to get a bottom reading on depth at higher speeds. its looses bottom at 28-30 mph. i have talked with several folks and none of them have said it worked for them either. it may not bother you but i like to know what im running over. my lowrnace worked fine at top speeds of 53mph. wouldnt even blink. the tranducers on the humminbird are like a plow in the water. im still playing with mine since i just bought it so i might be able to work this out. in my opinion humminbird could do some advances on the transducer mounting bracket and transducer. its a floppy mount compared to lowrance. other than that they are nice units. gps has loaded maps in from the factory and it seems to mark fish quiet well. it has 3 button to preset what screen you like to use which is nice. just push a button. side image is nice too but i havent perfected that yet. it will take time to learn these units but thats nothing. more time on the water.:wink:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    moved the transducer and still having probelms running at speeds over 25-30 mph. this is the only thing i see wrong from these humminbird side image units. lot of money to not be able to do what a cheap depth finder can. will try something else.

5. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Brad how does 997 mark fish compared to the 111 I have a 111 also

6. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have you tried increasing your ping speed

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I lose bottom pretty easy also on my 797 side imaging unit. I have had it adjusted all over the place.

A fix for the gigantic rooster tail (it is because of the mount).....Humminbird says to tape up that hole in the bracket, I did that and it helped considerably, filling it with silicone will be a better option though. Try it!:big_smile:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i saw it on another site where a fellow took a pice of plastic bowl and made a flapper that runs from the transome back to the transducer and he said it fixed his problem. hummingbird is lacking in the transducer dept. compared to lowrance but it marks fish fine at slow speeds. the 997 has the biggest transducer that i have seen from any of the side imaging units. high speed bottom reading is the only trouble im having. some say they dont need it but i fish santee and its shallow water in a lot of places 2,3,4 miles out. big water and summer storms get me in a hurry sometimes. that place can get bad in a matter of minutes so i like a bottom reading at higher speeds. ive been told you can run another transducer(smaller) with a switch for bottom reading but still we talking about a $2000.00 unit here.:confused2: