Thinking About Relocating, Have Questions!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ste6168, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey all, I just graduated from college in December '08 with a degree in Technology Education. I KNOW there are jobs open in the Richmond, VA area and am thinking about relocating for a few years (maybe longer if all goes well) if I can land a job. I would have no problem with the move as long as a few things can stay relatively the same... (Now onto my question to all of you) I was born & raised just outside of Pittsburgh, PA and have been fishing the 3 rivers all my life. I see that Richmond is just about right on the James river. I'm wondering, How is the fishing in this area? Do I need a boat, or can I shore fish? What species of cats are in there (I would assume that blues, flats, and channels are all there)? What other species of fish? How far is Richmond from other "prime" fishing locations? etc.

I have been trying to research the area on my own, but figured that the wealth of knowledge that my BOC brothers can provide would be great! Also, if you have any other suggestions/comments about the Richmond area, feel free to post them here. I would love to hear anything!

Thanks all, Mike (maybe a future regular in the VA forums :wink:)

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I grew up two hours west of Richmond and love my hometown dearly buttttttttttttttt.........when I moved to Richmond in 1989 I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

1. Rob a bank if you need to but get a small reliable trailerable boat,($2000)
    2. James river in Richmond is the best Trophy Blue Cat river in the World
    3. James river in Richmond has the best numbers fishery for Flatheads.
    4. James above Richmond one of the best trophy smallmouth rivers in USA
    5. James River has anual Spawning Striped Bass run in spring(Huge Ocean Fish
    6. James river in Richmond has one of the best in USA lite tackle Shad run.
    7. James river was two time final destination for Bass Masters Championship.
    8. Richmond is 6 hours from Pittsburgh so getting home to see family is easy.

Lastly,,,,,Richmond is dripping with good looking gals in the school system. I see the young teachers when I go to my son's middle school and my daughter's high school. They didn't have good looking teachers when I was in school. I think it was against the rules.

On second though, Ignore this post. I am greedy and don't want to share the river. Good luck

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Lol....Kenneth about summed it up. I am from his hometown but drive to Richmond almost every weekend to fish for blue cats. I won't be one to complain if I get transferred to Richmond one day.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So,
    You wouldn't really recommend it then eh Kenneth?:wink::wink::wink:

GO FOR IT Mike, live the dream...W
    ...W

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Oh yeah, I forgot, congratulations on graduating! Those are good times. Just don't spend all your newfound money too fast.:wink:

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I grew up here in Richmond and agree with everything Kenneth has said,and we have some of the best guides here too.,and not far from the bay either where you will find other great fishing oppertunities too.If you post before you head this way I'm sure someone here will take you out for a day on the james and you will be hooked..:wink:

7. biggknotts

biggknotts New Member

State:
    VA
    and on top of all that you can travel to hampton roads to fish the chesapeake bay for numerous fish

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the help and encouragement! I knew I could count on the BOC. I am going to call the "recruiter" for the Richmond area schools on Monday and see what he has to say. If I end up deciding to come down for a weekend, I may have to take up the offer of someone sporting me around for a day to do some fishing. If I go down to check out apartments, then its almost madatory to "check out the river too" (at least thats what the parents and lady friend will hear :wink:). I will keep you all posted on how the phone call goes and what my decisions/next couple months turn out to be.

Side note. You said for whats its worth to get a small trailered boat. I am in the process of purchasing a truck right now (2005 F-150) so I probably will not have the funds for a boat (unless an incredibly good deal comes along) for quite some time... Is it pretty much necessary to fish the James with a boat?

9. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    You can catch all the 1-7 pound cats you want off the different piers in the area but to catch the big ones, you will need a boat.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    There are boats, and there are boats.

When I first started, I cartopped a small jon, and used oars for power. Where there's a will, there's a way.:wink:

11. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    "There are boats, and there are boats.

When I first started, I cartopped a small jon, and used oars for power. Where there's a will, there's a way. "

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

I sold a 10 foot Sears semi V aluminum boat and a perfect running 6 hp johnson three years ago.:sad2: I bought both new in 1968 with paper route money when I was 13 years old. I sold that rig for $600 and have kicked myself since.

That old boat served me well. In 1980-81 that boat stayed in the back of my Chevy C 10 and the motor rode up front with me. I got off work at 7:00 AM from the railroad brakeman job I was working and straight to Hells Point Creek in Princess Anne county south of Va Beach where I launched my boat daily during trapping season. All subdivisions now but back in the day I pulled scores of otters, mink, coons, muskrats, and grey foxes off the bank of that creek. Fur prices were through the roof, Paid for my MBA at William & Mary with fur money. Up yours P.E.T.A.

I am back in the market for a small jon and motor for primarily killing ducks and geese on the upper James. I will find a cheap boat and motor, With this economy, I expect I will have my pick! Might even get one for the $600 I sold my other rig for.

12. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Richmond and the surrounding area has a great versitility for the fisherman. You got within an hours drive you got lakes, reservors, rivers streams and tha bay. And as kenneth stated the facts about the james we also got the Chickahominy. The lake side, (above the dam) is one of the best bream and sunfish fishing, Known to the u.s.a. people travel to there for the spawn season from all over to fish there. Also great for bass, cats, pickerel, and crappie. So good luck and tight lines my friend.:smile2: