Thinking about moving to Jefferson City Mo.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Jan 27, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    The wife and I have been kicking it around for a while and we may have made the conclusion that we are going to be moving to The Jefferson City Mo. area, actually Folk Mo.
    the wife has 2 uncles that have 135 acres up there and need some help running the farm, so we are going to talk to them about purchasing 5 acres from them and helping them run the farm. Their house is about 300 yards from the Missouri river. If all works out, we will build a house out there.
    I have lived in Texas for 26 years and I think we need a change in our lives and that would be the best thing for us.
    We aren't sure when this will all take place yet but maybe as early as this late summer.
    It is prime hunting and fishing area up there. First we have to fix our house up and put it on the market to sell. The only thing that I don't like about it is I have a hard time in the winter getting around so I guess I'll be buying a snowmobile if we move up there.
    This is most likely where will go.
    Are there any other brothers or sisters that live close to there ?
    Are the schools pretty good up there for my daughter ?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't tell U about the schools but I'm sure someone from that area willbe chiming in. I know of a couple members from around that area and your not that far from Truman Lake. I live approx 90 miles North East of Jeff City.6 miles from the Mighty Mississippi.Looks like some darn good fishing up in that area.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Beautiful country. You won't be disappointed! Yeah, winter sux here but not as bad as other places. It only lasts 8 or 10 weeks. Once you get to hunt some full sized deer, you will begin to look forward to some snow imo. You got the Osage river, Missouri river, Gasconade river within a short drive, and a bunch of good tributaries. Moreau river, Maries river, tons of streams. The hills are kinda treacherous when frozen, but a good SUV will conquer them east enough. I drove a Chevy Nova, and a Mazda 626 when I lived in that area, and got around alright. Yeah, you'll love it! Pack yer bags!:big_smile:

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    As a rule we normally don't have that much snow anymore. Not like we used too. Get you a 4- wheeler and you'll get around just fine.You can get Lic to run on the roads now.At least county Rds anyway.

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Absolutely! Lake of the Ozarks, and Truman Lake are close by too! The hardest decision to make living there would be deciding where to go fishing first. So many choices, so little time.:smile2:

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I went to college and Jeff. City and did a alot of running around there, it's a great place to raise kids and live. You'll Love the River.

7. midmocat

midmocat New Member

State:
    MO
    It is a wonderful place to live i am about 35min from Folk your kids will go to Westphalia School called Fatima it is very good school. You are real close to the Osage river and not far from the Missouri River they are both good fishing

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've been up that way several times...it's beautiful country.

The Ozarks are an amazing place...you'll be alot closer to Branson as well. It's a great family vacation/fishing destination. Good food...excellent down home mountain music...lots of shopping for the wife and your girl... world class brown and rainbow trout fishing at Lake Taneycomo...as well as catfish and bass in nearby Tablerock lake....or walleye in Bull Shoals.

Don't forget Silver Dollar City...man I love that place!

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I was talking with the wifes uncles this morning and It's the Osage river that is right behind their house not the Missouri. Jeff City is where most of the wife's relative live.
    I'm no stranger to the snow, I used to live in Minnesota and Colorado when I was a younger.
    The only thing is, I don't know much about farming but I'm sure the uncles will see to it that I learn pretty fast.
    The wife and I made a trip out there last June and it was so beautiful in the neck of the woods. We had a good time while we were there but didn't get the chance to do any fishing.
    I hope things work out and we can get to move up there this summer.
    Thanks brothers for the great info in that area. I will stay in touch on this subject as time gets closer.

:big_smile:

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    You would be right close to my neck of the woods.
    I live south east of JC, and have lived in the area all my life.

Fatima is a good school, my daughter has several friends that go to school there.

You are also very close to Painted Rock state forest for hunting and they have a nice lake for fishing and a good hiking trail with a couple look-outs built on the bluff over looking the Osage river.

There are no public access points on the Osage County side of the Osage river, but you are not far from the Mari-Osa access or St.Thomas.

Good luck on your move.

11. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OH NO !!!

lawnman61
    Thats only 315.53 miles from me thats one tank of Gas Please don't do it thats too close to me..LMAO

Then I would have to put you on the list with the rest of them MO. folks over there.. Oh My !! this is not good at all.. I think I am moving to ALaska next !! :eek:oooh:

12. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Dang man, I was trying to move closer so I could come steal your fishing hole man...lol Don't move to Alaska yet....lol
    ! thing is for sure, I will be closer to the national gatherings.
    Who knows, I might get my PB in Mo.

13. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Al: you got a few people out there to watch out for, one is that dougc guy lingering around at the bottom of the page.. you got to watch out for them they will turn you into a MOsiriou eeerrr person , and thats not good ...LMAO

Your all good, just watch they will tell you a sweet story to get out in your boat..LMAO :eek:oooh:

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks brother, they will have one problem with that cause right now, I aint got a boat, I'll be buying another one when I get up there but that will still be a while cause most of my $$ will be going into building the new house first.
    I may be moving to Mo. but I'm still a Texan.....lol
    Would love to go fishing with you sometime though.

15. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    AL: I am coming out to MO. in April or May sometime, I got a few people to see out there and fish with, I will start in Kansas and wrok my way back about a week trip is what I am planing here. So if your out there then I will stop by and take you fishing .. We can even bank fish if that will make you feel any better.. lol or you can come over to my house anytime you want and spend a few days here on the mighty Ohio river and fish with me here in my home waters.. If you need any help moving please call Cuz he has an airplane, LMAO :crazy:

If I could brother I would be there to help you move in but with my back I would be all but done for..:eek:oooh:

16. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Awe DH. Show some love. We ain't ALL bad. I mean...I am, but not everybody. Real good people we got here in Mo.:big_smile:

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Are you sure you want to do this????
    Look at Cuz, He moved there from Kentucky and has been transformed into a full blown show-me type guy, LOL!!! He has forgotten his roots and has turned his back on his Kentucky bretheren and hasn't looked back. Although it has worked out well for those Muzzurreeeuns (Gateway Catfishing Club) it took an outsider to make things happen. Maybe you can lead a few of them into something great as well, LOL!!!

18. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Thanks brother, if I'm out in Mo, at that time, I will look you up and take you up on that offer and I will be taking you up on the offer to come visit your home and go fishing also.
    My back isn't any better than yours, I have to get some of the family members in Mo. to come help. We will most likely have an Estate sale here and buy all new stuff up there. We still have a lot of planning to do before the move.
    When I'm all settled in up there and comfortable, I will be looking into buying that new Sea Ark Pro Cat and then when you come up to Mo. we can go out in it..
    Thanks Eric

19. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Maybe I can show them how things are done the Texas way, maybe even get them to eat some Texas Chilli...:eek:oooh:

:smile2:

20. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds good brother, I have a couple of spots to fish in Jefferson City, but I had to swear in blood to never tell..LMAO

Can you buy me a boat too ?? lmao