Thinking about hanging it up.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by vacatfish, Jul 9, 2006.

1. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Been doing alot of hurtful thinking lately. the last 2 or 3 years have been somewhat hard for me to get away out to the water. why drs not lettig me drive. money being tight. and just not able to get what i need to go.

Don't take it wrong i love my fishing it's getting to the water thats the trouble.

So i think my best bet is to stop even wanting to go. hard to look and your rod and not be able to use it. think it will be one for the wall.

Depressing cause i been a catfisherman over 28 years and am only 32 now. at this time it's about all i know to do without being able to get to the water.

Catfishing was not just catfishing to me it was a way of life something i loved doing and the type of fishing i did more then any other in life.

But i will always be a member and checking in and out and still at times reading post.

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Randy there are many ways to go catfishing. The rush for me starts when I start getting my tackle together, or catch some or make some bait or just reading about it. I have always been a loner but I wouldn't hesitate to ask a BOC brother to take me fishing because that is part of what this is all about. I have a few health isues that could incapacitate me but doctors give advice for their liabilty as well. What I am trying to say is don't give up your life passon without a knock down drag out fight. I f you need some specific tackle send me a PM if you ned help kicking your DR. but give me a ring.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Randy hang in there brother, you have been here for a long time. You will be back on the water in no time, keep your head up. Until you can make it out to fish you can fish through each of us on the board.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    hey man... i agree... it is your life's passion... you should never let anything get in the way of it... there are always other options, like asking a friend to drive to go fishing... and the brothers on here would go out of their way to help you out... i wouldn't hang it up just yet... this is just a milestone... everyone has them... once you figure out a way past it, you will be glad that you decided to keep on catfishing... you can't just hang up part of your life, cause there will always be the desire to go out and do some catfishing... this desire may be strong right now because you are having problems getting to the water, but if you just clear your mind for a few weeks, and not even think about it, then you will be able to come up with a solution to all your problems once you start thinking about how to get back out to the water... there is a little saying that my uncle always told me when i was young and encountered a problem... Adapt, React, and Overcome. its an old army saying, and many people on here have prolly heard it... it is a theory of life more than it is a saying...

i'd like to share a little story with you... my great grandpa, when i was younger, was stuck in a wheelchair... he had no use of what was left of his legs at all... he was the first one to ever take me fishing... i watched him as he hooked his truck up to his boat/trailer, get in his truck, lift his chair up and collapse it and put it behind the seat, drive to the water using a cane for the gas and brake pedals, and when we got to the lake, he backed the boat up, got his chair out, got out of the truck into his chair, launched the boat by himself, got back in the truck and parked it, got back in the boat, and then he told me, "no matter what comes in the way, if you love to fish, there is always a way to fish."... and i will never forget that day.

i hope this helps you make your decision, but i'm glad to see that you posted about it first... the brothers on here can really help you out... after all... we are pretty much family on here, most of us have just never met in person, but we might as well have.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I too hate to hear that coming from a longtime Brother. Just try to keep your chin up.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Randy... I have an idea... quit that dang hurtful thinking and do some helpful thinking. You say you've been catfishing for 28 of your 32 years? Then you must have gobs of expertise that can be passed on to Brothers less fortunate than you. It isn't easy for a lot of us to go fishing every day, but we don't stop altogether... C'mon man, step back, take a deep breath, and give 'er hell... shoot for a new goal... say, fishin' for 56 of 64 years:big_smile: Head up, shoulders back, chest out, now show us what you're made of.. We're depending on ya...

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    randy...i can come and take you about once a month....just pm me your address and will work something out

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Randy,I truly understand.Man do I understand! I am in pretty much the same situation as you are as far as getting to go out fishing or to go out anywhere.I cain;t even go out in the Sun because of medicine or heat as my body no longer controls my temperature correctly.I live in a world where nearly ever thing about my body is now weird and wants to hurt with the craziest kinds of pain.My leg has burst open again from swelling as they often do.I am the only patient my cardiologist has that he is not trying to save from congestive heart failure.All my doctors agree with me that heart failure is nominally a far easier death than lymphoma.All of my medication and treatment is to try to make my life a little easier when possible.Not to prolong it. I am way more fortunate than you as my body didn;t start falling apart until I was about 44.I am 61 now.Depression is our biggest enemy.I just refuse it.I put my mind on good things.Yea,I backslide.I go in the bathroom and cry sometimes when the pain or the helplessness seems to get more than I can bear.I then think about all the people that have it so much worse than me,and I am ashamed of myself.Many right here on the BOC have and have had tragedies that I don;t know if I could handle.Stress or excitement good or bad interferes with all types of my body control,from breathing to heart beat.I have a lot of trouble with choking.That is why I no longer respond to threads of agony or joy on here.A tragedy or a child's joy can cause me problems if I get excited about it.I just keep praying for us all and I just cain;t give up.If I give up,I am letting down all the people that love and care about me.People like you.I know it is hard on you,but I need you.We need you.What ever you see me post on here just comes to me.I CAN NOT set down and think it out and write normal like I use to.It is there or it is not.I might not go fishing much,or maybe never.But,I still keep my gear up and ready.I may wear all the threads off of the screws,I check and clean it all so much.I enjoy it and it gives me something to do.Most all of the gear that I have gotten in the last few years is because the people that cared about me and loved me saw that I had it to keep me occupied.I do understand the money situation.It takes all of my retirement and part of my Social Security to pay my insurance premiums.I fish every day right here on the BOC with the finest fishermen in the world.The last two days I walked away from TV fishing programs to fish right here with my family.Randy,you have a lot of knowledge about many things.You have used it to help many since I have been on here.There is a lot more where that came from,and new and old members needing your help.Try to hang in there.I care.We care.I need you.We need you.I love you man.Thank you,peewee-williams

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, don't give up! Where there's a will, there is a way, ya know. I have to deal with chronic lung disease, myself, and there are lots of days that I'm just not able to get out and fish or much of anything else, and I've considered giving it up, too, but I have a 13 y/o grandson that lives for fishing (in fact, he's outside right now installing a new depth finder on one of our boats), and a younger one that's getting into it, too, so if I quit, then they may not get the opportunity to fish either. That, and the fact that I know I would be miserable, keeps me going. I don't know your circumstances, but there has to be a way to get out, at least occasionally. Put you mind to it, friend, and good luck. The world is what you make of it....:big_smile: There are a lot of good people here, and some of them are probably close enough to help you with a fishing trip.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

That's what I'm talking about!!!! Helping out another Brother in need. I wish I lived closer. Tried to send you some rep but it said I need to spread the love first. You da man dreamer34

11. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    did a mapquest and you are only a hour and a half away...so just get in touch with me

12. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Randy you never give up on your lifes passion...never:confused2: These guys are telling you like it is...many would be willing to help you get out there. You have a ton of info in your head due to your passion for fishing...when your not out there with a brother...be on here sharing it with others.:wink: Maybe you would be better thinking about another post Bro "Fishing Partner Wanted".:big_smile: Hang in there Brother!:cool2:

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Peewee, nobody could of said it any better than you did, great post. You must be one hell of a guy, it would be a great honor to meet you some day.

Randy keep your head up, you'll get to go fishing one way or another.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hang in there Brother..I have had problems in the past where I have felt like giving up catfishing, but then decided nothing will get in my way..We all have our ups and downs, and I hope you change your mind.

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hang in there RAndy, more than one person will probably be happy to take you out fishing, who knows maybe learn a bit from you. I'm just to far away or I would be happy to go fishing with you. With the price of gas I am getting my bicycle out and am going to fix up a little cart I can pull behind it. Only a mile out to a pond, not the best fishing hole but better than none. I'll give it up when I can't hold a rod any longer.

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    It's rare that I get emotional, but this thread gave me a lot to think about... I have this posted anywhere I look and I wanted to share it with you all...

Don't Quit
    when things go wrong as they sometimes will
    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill
    when the funds are low and the debts are high
    and you want to smile but you have to sigh
    When care is pressing you down a bit
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit

Life is queer with its twists and turns
    as everyone of us sometimes learns
    and many a failure turns about
    when we might have won had we stuck it out
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow
    You might succeed with another blow

Often the goal is nearer than
    it seems to a faint and faltering man
    often the struggler has given up
    when he might have captured the victors cup
    and he learned too late when the night slipped down
    how close he was to the golden crown!

SUccees is failure turned inside out
    the silver tint of the clouds of doubt
    and you never can tell how close you are
    it may be near when it seems afar
    So stick to the fight when you are hardest hit
    it's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit!

~Unknown~

You all mean the world to me, I appreciate your shared knowledge and stories... Stick it out and keep fighting the good fight...

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Randy, don't give up. Between me and Dreamer34, we can get you to the water. If I had known, I could have picked you up last night. I went right by your place on the way to Smith Mountain Lake where I had to bank fish because I didn't have anyone to help me with the boat. I was out there until 3:00am this morning and would have enjoyed the company. We have a big camping weekend planned next month with the family and will have two boats out there. You're welcome to join us if you want. I have enough tackle for 6 catfishermen so you won't need anything but what you're wearing.
    You need to use this great resource we have in the BOC and stay in touch with your brothers here. We'll get you to the water. You already have my email and phone number. Read PeeWee's post again, print it out and hang it on the wall! We all need each other! "Where there is a will, there is a way."
    My brother-in-law has been in Intensive Care 3 times in the last 18 months and wasn't expected to live past last Oct. but he still goes fishing with me. He has only 8% of his heart function left, he lost most his colon, he was wounded several times in 4 years of Viet Nam and has diabetes so bad they wanted to take off his legs but knew his heart couldn't take the operation. He has depression real bad because of all this and still, the only thing that gets him out of bed is catfishing. If he can do it, you can,too.
    You've got alot of people who care about you. Don't let them down! Don't let yourself down! We're here to help each other. That's what brothers do!

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just want to say that I really appreciate all of you,and I'm fairly new,so PLEASE don't any one of ya give up! I've never met any of you personally,but you all strike me as being decent people. My family and I are really struggeling with health issues,me personally,I'm doing ok health wise but between my husband and my girls,and their health things get pretty intense at times. My husband was injured on his railroad job back in july 2004 and were still fighting both the railroad and the doctors so we can get clear cut answers. Depression! Yes,big time,He is 50 and, I'm 47 too young to have to go thru this stuff,but we must all keep fighting the "Good Fight of Faith" and know it will all work out. The Boc is the best thing that has happened to my computer I have learned so much and consider you all to be valuable people so PLEASE no one give up! Romans * verse 28 "And we know all things work together for good to those who love God,to those who are called according to His purpose. Thank You to each of you and all your wonderful posts they are treasured!-----------PK Powell:big_smile_2:

19. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hang in threre buddy

20. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    keep your head up brother it will work out for you