Thinking about getting a new bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Katfish Kern, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have an older, well much older PSE now. Everything still works pretty well. And this is the first year that I am going to hunt with it. But if I were to to say "upgrade" anyone have any ideas for something that I wont have to sell my daughter to buy? The new model seem to make mine look like Fred Flintstones ride.

2. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm wanting to get rid of my antique too, but the 1000 dollars for the Reezen or Monster keeps me from it.

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    What are you shooting?

4. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Seth, I'm still shooting my Hoyt Defiant that I bought in 2000. Still shoots great. I've changed strings and cables a couple times and keep it in good working order. I've looked at the new bows and their prices. It's pretty scary. As long as my old hoyt is still drilling holes and it's not broke, I'm gonna keep shooting it. When the day comes to buy a newer bow I'm going to buy one that is a couple years old. It'll be cheaper and still shoot faster then the old one.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I hunt with an OLD PSE Carroll Intruder and will shoot it as long as i'm able to climb up in a stand. Also have a Hoyt thats ok i guess but i like my old bow.

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I upgraded last season. The old bow shot well and killed deer, but it was time for me to get a new one. I went with the Redhead Kryptic from Bass Pro Shops. I has a super smooth draw and 80% let off (if my memory serves correctly) so its pretty effortless at full draw. And when you release it, the bow doesn't hardly move at all and you don't even feel the shot. Real fast and real quiet, I was very impressed with this one. It doesn't say matthews or hoyt on the limbs, but its a good bow and a deer killing machine. I think its actually made by bowtech. I can shoot pretty tight groups with it, its fast, and its quiet so I'm pretty happy with it. If there is a Bass Pro near you, ask them to let you shoot it and you might be impressed.

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I finally upgraded last year also, old bow was a PSE Fireflight 33, loved it but it was also my first ever bow so I didnt know the difference in cheaper vs big bucks. I ended up going off the deep end and buying a new Mathews DXT, have about $1400 in it total after I put everthing I wanted on it. I actually think it was worth the money and it shoots super smooth, but definately not necessary by any means. A few friends of mine are shooting the Redhead and Cabela's brand bows, and like them alot so check there before buying. I think Cabela's house brand are actually made by PSE, they look like PSE anyway. I made a 70 yard shot last week, not that I would ever shoot a deer that far but it was fun to do. Chris

8. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I believe in buying something once and be done. Let their be no regets when you are done because you don't want to skimp a few hundred when compared to the 10 + years you will own it.

Are all bows created equal = No.

Just shoot as many bows as you can before you buy. Mathews, AR, Bear, Hoyt, PSE, Browning, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Diamond, etc.

Just have no regrets, just my rambling thoughts.

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I shoot a Ross Cardiac. I love that bow, super fast and quiet too. Deadly accurate. It sure will sling them sticks. I shot all the top bows before making my decision.

10. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Take a look at the new athens bows, very nice, great customer service, the new Hoyt Turbohawk is a great bow too, its a lil cheaper than most of the other hoyts, but an awesome bow, but you cant go wrong with Athens either

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shot an ancient bear whitetail for the first two seasons, and killed deer. then i got a browning because it had a good price tag on it. i was in heaven when i set that one up, till a friend said i should upgrade. i love my browning bow and i have been losing sleep over the upcoming deer season since i got it. i'm sure that compared to the old bear, anything made after the 1800s would be awesome. :smile2: shoot a bunch of bows and pick the one you like best.

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if i were in the business of upgrading i would goto the local bow shop and look at some of their used bows. for example today a buddy of mine and i were looking for him an upgrade and found a MATHEW'S (best bows on the market btw) SWITCHBACK with sights, stablizer, arrows, quiver and broadheads for $600. still a lot of money but he got $1000 or more bow and set up for %50 off basically. I've bought a couple of bows like that over the years and i think i may upgrade my self after this season. I'm probly going to get a MONSTER.

13. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I heard that is a really good set up.

14. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    when i got my bow i had to have a cheap one so i got the fred bear at wal mart and its great mu uncle shoots a matthews and wen he shot my bow he says man that bow packs a punch im pulling 65ibs on it and can hit dead opn at 50yds its light cheap and its a great bow

15. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Bowtech all the way here, I switched over from Mathews and not looked back since.

16. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hoyt

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I love my Drenalin and Mathews bows in general. They are pricy though and everybody has different tastes in a bow. Your best bet is to pick out several bows in your price range and then go test shoot them and let the bow decide for you. Good luck on your decision. You'll really fall in love with new bows these days compared to the old bows that were slow and hard to draw.