Thinking about getting a ATV

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, May 4, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've searched on here for any posts about ATV's and found none. Maybe I over looked it.
    Question is: I'm wanting to get an ATV for trail riding. I've talked to several people that own one trying to narrow down the one I feel I need to get. What I want is 4wd, automatic and probably a 300 or 400. Most people are saying that Honda and Artic Cat's are the best.
    Anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Arctic cats are great. During duck season we use them to get into the duck pit. The pit is in a flooded corn field and those things will run in 3 feet of water and not miss a beat. They also start in really cold weather. If they do that They should be good enough to ride on trails with.

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I personally have a 2004 Suzuki 400 4X4. If I were you I would at least get a 400 or bigger. You will want something with enough power to be able to pull itself and you up a hill with ease. My 400 sometimes seems to stuggle. Artic Cat is alright although I have heard some negitive things about them, but you will probably hear something bad about everything. Plan on trading mine in on a Honda 500, or a twin peaks 700. Good luck and have fun.

4. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I'm hearing more and more good things about Artic Cat and Honda. I'll probably go with one of them. I think I heard that Artic Cat has a better warranty.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
  6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I own a 450 foreman Honda. i would suggest the 500 Rubicon there auto or Manuel lock in or out four wheel drive. Its Honda all the way for me.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I have a '96 honda 300 4x4 that has been nothing but great for me.

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Think I'll go with Honda for sure. No one ever buy a Suzuki. Nothing but problems. Got a broke brake cable, Speedometer quit working, Bearings have wore out, got a gear oil leak, and to top it off I ordered and paid for the parts at a suzuki dealership and they went out of buisness befor I got my parts. Corperate Suzuki says its not they're problem and that I'm out of luck. So for anyone in the market for a ATV don't go with Suzuki!!!!

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
  10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I put lots of 3 and then 4 wheelers through the worst possible test for 30 years, a dairy farm. I've had most major brands and the Hondas were the toughest and most dependable of all of them. We usually had 3 or 4 on the farm at a time, used them all the time, herd'n cows, feeding, building fence, hunt'n , fish'n and play'n. A constant diet of cow manure for the life of the machines, along with stress tests applied by 2200 pound bulls,1700 pound cows and lots of teenage drivers are a pretty good ways to find out which is toughest. Honda by far #1, Yamaha #2, Suzuki a distant #3 and Polaris last, lots of troube, never had an Artic Cat but have heard some good things about them from friends.

11. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i think a cycle trader is the best place to find good atvs for a descent price.

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use one to trap from. Used a 350 Rancher (2WD) that would go through about anything. Bought a new 4WD Rubicon last year.....best money I ever spent! IMHO...but Honda :wink:

Whatever you buy, just be sure & maintain it properly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/IM001070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/IM001071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/1-06ATV1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/223smitty/junk/1-06ATV3.jpg

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Polaris, Kawasaki and artic cat build excellent quads.

14. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mark, I have akways and currently do have Polaris, They , like most others, are good ATVs. I currently own a 2003 700 Sportsman, and I like it alot. It is very heavy in the front as far as steering. I am pretty sure my next ATV will be a Kawasaki. I am very comfortable with the dealer and service he provides. Keep that in mind too.

No matter what kind you decide on, find a dealer you are comfortable with and if you are buying it for trail riding I would recommend at least a 400. This is just my 2 cents hope I was helpful. Stan