Thinking about getting a 185 targa

Discussion in 'Boating' started by farmer, Dec 10, 2007.

1. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I want to get a new boat and i was thinking about getting the tracker targa 185 wt. I was just wanting to get some feedback on what u guys think.

2. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Josh, we have a 04 Targa WT 17 and love the boat. Do not under pwer the boat. Only problems we have encountered were self induced.

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I agree with Mike (UPSMechanic) I too have a Deep V 17 and the only regret I have about the boat is that I wish I would of upgraded the motor instead of staying with the 60horse that it came with. They are definatly comfortable to fish in and ride pretty smooth.

4. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thanks for the info. Do you think the 115 is motor enough?

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    That should do it, the 60 that I have will get me going about 30mph if I'm not loaded real heavy and only have one other person with me in the boat. It's just slow to plane and with any additional weight (i.e. the family and all that gear) it only goes maybe 22mph and is real slow to plane. I'm no speed demon by any means and 30mph is fast enough for me, but it's pushing the motor to it's max when I run it like that.

6. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Sorry Josh I should have told you that we "powered up" to a 90 horse. Usually Tracker has attractive power up packages through Mercury that make good sense. A 115 horse should be great for your new boat.

7. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thanks guys. Is there anything you dont like about your boat?

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Not really, there is a lot I'd like to do to my boat. But it works pretty good the way it is. Oh, and just so you know as soon as you buy it you'll wish you would of got the next size bigger.....lol

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For the money, I believe that is one of the best buys for that type boat available right now. If I were in the market for a new boat, that would probably be my choice. I really like the deep-v walk through windshield boats. A few other brands that carry a comparable boat but are a little more expensive are G-3, Starcraft, Smokercraft, Sylvan, Alumacraft and of course the almighty LUND line of boats. But, like I said for the money, the Tracker Targa 185 W/T would be my choice. BTW, I would put no less than a 115 on that boat. Good luck with your choice!

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 17WT Targa ('01 Model). I only have a 75 HP, but usually top out @ 31-34 MPH. I think mine is plenty fast enough. What I find odd is that other folks are running the 115 HP's and like you topping out around 35-40. I would think that it would be faster than that. Since your a Mechanic, can you shed any light here? Also, is it bad to run the motor at the top speed for say 30 minutes or so at a time?

Thanks

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Once you get to a certain point, you would have to throw gobs of horsepower at it to see a huge difference. In most cases you would far exceed the horsepower rating before you got there.

There are alot of hulls out there that there is nothing to be gained by adding 50 horsepower other then 3-4 MPH.
    I've got alot of boat plans, when you get to into the power requirements its usually spelled out as to what speed to expect for XXX horsepower and what to expect from YYYY. Usually they'll cover from the minimum to the maximum horsepower.
    The advantage to larger motors is in power to plane, and pushing a loaded boat.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Mark! :0a31:

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mellon don't for get to throw the prop into the equation. Prop diameter and pitch is a science. You can gain or lose mph's with them.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Weight has just as much or more bearing on speed then horsepower.
    When you increase engine size you add weight and fuel consumption.
    To keep the range your vessel had with 75 horse engine with your new 115 horse engine you also have to increase fuel capacity.
    Once you reach the magical point of utilizing the hull design to its optimum level to gain more speed with a larger engine you'll need to trim the fat.

You can chase your tail with increasing engine size looking for speed.

An example.
    This particular 21 foot center console loaded with 4 people and rigged with a 90 Horse engine will do 30 MPH. With a 125 37MPH can be achieved.

Another example.

A 19 foot offshore with a 70 Horse will go 30 and with a 115 will do 36.

Weight and balance will do more for speed then horsepower.
    A 115 weighs considerably more then a 70 and uses considerably more fuel.
    Fuel weighs 6 pounds a gallon.
    Where you gain the advantage with the 115 is if you go to putting alot of extra weight in the boat like 30 gallon baitwells and 100 gallon livewells.

As far as the props, they are a science.
    There are speed props but they are dogs when it comes to weight.
    There are pulling props but they are a speed killer.
    There are props to trim the attitude of a boat like a raker style prop.
    No matter the prop , you cant prop but so much within the confines of maximum RPM.

Some hulls are more inclined to be speedy then others.
    Hulls are a compromise.
    Bass boats are built for speed. They handle at speed better then they do at a slow troll. There is a compromise there.
    The Targa for example is not a speed hull.
    Every boat hull has a point when reached that the benefit of larger engines becomes smaller and smaller considering the cost of buying the enigne, maintaining the engine, and its fuel consumption.