Thinking about fishing the flood

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Aug 28, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I am thinking about fishing the debris-filled waters at Alton tomorrow. I'm thinking I could manuever around the wood and trash, go find me a nice spot a little bit out of the current (and trash) to try for some Blues.

Am I crazy or delusional?

Do I need some sense talked into me?

Comments?

I'll do it, I will.:smile2:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You probably ought to go try it once and see for yourself what it's like.

I've been there.

Once.

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Crazy...........especially by yourself. Just my two cents. Good luck if you go. If you catch some fish, let us know.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    What time you thinking of going Darryl? I may just have to call in and join ya

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished the Missouri in those conditions, It's not the danger as much as the aggravation of keeping the stuff off my line that keeps me from going back during flooding conditions.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm starting to think the previous two guys might be talking me out if it. LOL

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The only time I get worried is if there are huge trees coming down river. I generally try to find a place where the current is pushing the debris away from me off to one side. Even then, never turn your back on the river. Things have a way of sneaking up on you out there in those conditions!!! I fish them like that all the time. I have fished the Ohio at times when it was 18' to 20' above pool stage, you just have to keep a close eye on things and Never go alone(four eyes are better than two). Keep a sharp knife handy at the anchor rope and wear a life jacket as well!

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I fished the Missouri River last weekend in the same conditions. There were plenty of spots to fish out of the debris, and that's where the catfish were. If you're fishing during the day, no problem. If you're fishing at night, just allow yourself plenty of daylight to scout out the river.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dunno about the Miss, bigger river more stuff maybe. The MO is not so bad to navigate when it's up high, just a hassle. Constantly dodging the big stuff and stopping every half a mile to clean the little stuff out of the motor. We were out at night the last big rise before this one and there was more wood than water coming down. I don't mind navigating the river so much as I do trying having to clean all the crap off my line every 20 minutes. Good Luck!

Branden

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I hear ya, I was just thinking about going on Friday night trying to get some fishing in before the crazies hit the rivers over the holiday weekend. Figured if you were gonna go I might get a look at what I'd be in store for on Friday. But, after reading some of the comments around here I think they may of talked me out of it too.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The crazies won't go out there for the most part so, you guys should have the river to yourselves, LOL!!! Only the real crazy ones will be there, LOL!!!

12. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl, don't get me wrong.........if you catch fish, I'm game. Don't let a couple nervous nelly's talk you out of it. Your on fire and could probably catch a pig in a pot hole at the boat ramp.

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LOL, I'm still confused. It might be worth a try during daylight (thats when I fish anyway).

Mike, your boat would be better than MINE!:smile2::eek:oooh:

We'd probably hit my honeyhole to see if the fish are still there.:wink: I have a strong feeling it is a really hot spot at the moment.:wink::wink::wink:

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I am also thinking we could fish my super secret honeyhole without any observers so to speak.

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I drove by the columbia bottoms ramp and the confluence look out today. The MO river at the bottoms ramp looked smooth as glass. This was about noonish. There was hardly any debris to speak of. I did see a few logs floating down the Mississippi. But it looked navigatable. (might of made that word up) All and all, I'm pretty sure I would've gone out today.
    I'm definitely going out this weekend. Worse comes to worse below the dam, I think i'll just move down river a bit and try.

Dan

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Yup, I think you made that word up! LOL:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Still can't decide if I am fishing tomorrow. I can't make plans at this point with anyone, then stand them up. Kinda wishy-washy on the whole thing at the moment but really want to fish!

The debris at Winfield Sunday was major! Massive trees, root-balls intact, etc..........

17. GASCONADEBOAT

GASCONADEBOAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN COULD BE A ROUGH ONE.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If it is that bad......Stay home, I would!!!!

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    hike up your skirt and go.......You'll be alright!

or maybe stay home and go buy Your self some abu 7000's as a birthday present to Yourself. 6500's are nice channel cat reels but just not quite big enough for big river blues. after You get some real reels pm me and I'll set you up with the guy who makes the finest catfishing rods on the planet.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Okay Brad, but those 6500 and 6600 reels have done me pretty well so far on some hawgs. Also the Tiger rods in Med. HVY have held up to the challenge. Always looking for better stuff though. I'll keep you in mind.