thinking about fishing the colorado river this coming week . . .

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by dhines, Oct 8, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    as a kid i fished it up by blythe several times, but that is it. i will be heading to the yuma area and i am wondering if there is any good bank fishing around there. one last thing, the colorado river stamp is only required if i fish from a boat right? if that is the case, i would need to fish it from the CA side (and on the bank), unless i get the sticker?

many thanks fellas.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I don't know anything about the Yuma area,, but, I'm sure others will be able to help..
    But, you're correct about the stamp.. if you are licensed in CA, and stay on that side...

Good luck,,G

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Doug, i know a few places to fish from shore. just have to be careful and make sure you're not on the reservation.
    i'm gonna be out of town all next week, but PM me a number and i can call you tonight or tomorrow. i've lived in yuma since 06, so maybe can help out.
    gary

4. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    many thanks buddy. i have sent the PM.

if i have a valid CA license and buy the colorado river stamp, can i bank fish from the AZ side?

(i included this question in the PM, but thought i would also post it here)

many thanks,

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    answer is yes you can fish both sides of river. cannot fish any of the canals on az side though. by yuma is lake called lake mittry. that is considered part of river water so are allowed to fish is with river stamp.
    what time can i call? i'm home now
    gary

6. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    hey doug,we met at the canal expeditions
    i am headin out the 16-17 too, if you are in the area let me know
    i probably fish the outfall south of palo verde
    i may even run down to the alamo sat nite
    good luck
    im sure gary can put you on somthin

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'm gonna be out of town, but talked to Doug on phone. gave him directions to 3 spots he can find easy, and starting spots to look himself where he'll stay off reservation. now if fish will agree, he should do good.
    gary

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the help Gary.... you have been more than helpfull to me and Tom when we have been there..... Tom lived there for many years and together with the "new stuff" that you know.... I'm sure that Doug will be placed in good areas to see what's catching....

You off to see the Uncle?

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    no, grandson has week long EEG in hospital. i get day shift with him while his mom goes to school.
    gary

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I'm in Yuma also and will help anyway I can. Have been here since 83. Sent ya a pm.

:cool2:

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    guys i am sorry for the late response . . . last week was such a disaster. on top of my truck having issues and needing to get it worked on (took a day or so away from fishing time), i had two acquaintences (from the mexicali area) die from the swine flu.

needless to say, i didn't even wet a line last week . . . but that wasn't the worst of it. my buddy that i was to go fishing with, one of the people that died was his brother in law. the guy was 31 and had two kids under the age of 7.

talk about a major bummer of a week.

anyhoo . . . i am going to to try to get down there this weekend. anyone gonna be wetting a line?

12. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    you are a good man gary, and i want to say thanks for the help. i am definitely going to give those places a shot either this weekend or the following one.

just can't wait to get the bait in the water, kick back and relax.

13. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    yeah buddy, i remember you . . . we definitely need to hook up and go after some cats. i would love to fish the alamo with you sometime. do you have any plans for when you will be heading down?

14. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    halloween weekend
    supposed to hook w jaime, janzaldo

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    dhines, just tried to call you. find your phone instead of working. be a real fisherman. :wink:
    give me a call.
    gary

16. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My son and I are going cat fishing in the Yuma area tomorrow. Name a place and time, and we'll be there.

17. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
  18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    OMG!!!! that map. where do you live? where do you plan on fishing? is it near yuma? if so, let me know. that map is worthless.
    gary

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Worthless map you say?...... I recognize some of it... but its been too long since I've been there..... Aug?

So.... Sorry I did not get back to you Gary.... I know we will talk when I come down that way..... the weekend before xgiving. and after... just have to come back for Turkey and family....

20. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Gary,
    Name a place and time, and let's go fishing.