Thinking about a Lowe 2070 with center console? HELP!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have read where a few brothers on here have Lowe Roughneck boats. How do you that have them or have spent time fishing on them think of them as a cat boat? I have been looking at the SeaArk Big Daddy but due to some recent changes I won't be able to buy one of them for a while now. $$$
    I have found a used Lowe 2070 with a 115 Johnson and a center console. I made the guy an offer and he came back a little over NADA for the boat, motor, and trailer.
    I am sure that opinions on the 2070 have been asked for before. I need to move quick on this but I don't want to make another boat purchase mistake.:embarassed:
    How would the 2070 be for the James and other larger rivers. I lake fish every weekend but have never really used a boat on any river, always bank fished our small rivers.

What would you guys pay for an 05 with an 05 Johnson 2-stroke? Or what would you consider a good deal. I priced a 08 today with a Merc 115 optimax and the best they would do was $17200 plus all the fees.
    Thanks for any and all help. If I get it I will post pics ASAP.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a Roughneck 1960 with a 90 Merc. center console, bought it in 99. I love it. It handles so well in rough water, like 4-5 foot swells on KY Lake, my nephews will go out and play in rough water. Its like a motorized surf board.

A 2070 with that 115 would do even better. Don't know what it's worth. I have about 11k in mine, but I put it all together and built my own trailer in 99. Everything was new in 1999.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jim,
    Thanks for the reply. We have a Lowe 19 ft Deck boat that I would probably sale if I buy this boat. The deck boat is probably the only reason I am holding back. My wife likes the deck boat but I don't like it for fishing, hard to anchor in the wind.:angry: Also, it is a good reach down to the water.
    Here is a picture of our deck boat. Would you guys give it up for a Roughneck 2070?

Attached Files:

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Is it all-welded or riveted? I wouldnt bother if it is a riveted aluminum boat.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    It is all welded.

6. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    David-FWIW-I was quoted $16,565 today for a Grizzly 2072 Big Cat SC Package-Motor was a 90hp mercury 2-stroke. This was at Bass Pro in Clarksville, Indiana. I'm looking too, but not interested in the package deal

7. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey David,

I bought the Grizzly 2070 this year. I put an ETEC 50 Tiller Motor on it. I fish the James River in VA. I live on the Chesapeake Bay and it fishs OK there also, so far. I put a wooden floor in it my self. I have about $12K in this boat.

It is a great boat.

PROS:
    Nice comfortable ride at 17 - 20 MPH. Plenty of Room. Pleny of Power. Max speed with 4 people is 30 MPH. It consistently gets 10 MPG. (Honest). My wife loves it. Great Catfish Boat. Trailers easy.

CONS:
    Sometimes a little hard to turn at idle. The wind pushes it around. It won't troll under 3.0 mph without a bucket out the back. This is the biggest problem for me as I also crab using a trot line and I troll for Striped Bass. Striped Bass like a slow presentation. Float off trailer is a problem for me (salt water) and they don't recommend rollers. No true bilge.

Hope this helps. I couldn't find any of this out when I was buying.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info. I still have to talk myself into it. I would also be using this boat for Striper fishing sometimes. My biggest concerns are the composite transom and the rather thin .100 aluminum skin. Our Deck boat has thicker skin that .100 and it feels weak to me. Although it does not have the ribs (runners) for added strength like the Roughneck has.
    I also wish the Roughneck had a larger live well.:confused2:
    I also found out that Lowe will only back there warranty to the original purchaser of the boat. Once the boat is sold to the second owner there is no more "warranty".

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....the best they would do was $17200 plus all the fees....."

You can get into a 198DLV Carolina Skiff for less than that with a 90hp motor and a lot more room.

10. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The Grizzly 2072 has a .125 bottom and .100 sides. Their 1860 has .100 bottom.

11. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Big Dav,

Where are you located in VA? Send me a PM with your phone number.

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Russ,
    PM sent, I am in SW VA less than an hour from Bristol. On the wrong side of the state.:sad2:

Thanks everyone for the replies. If I were going to be paying over $17000 for the Lowe Roughneck 2070 and the Johnson 115 I would be buying something different. I was priced a Seaark rivercat SC with a Suzuki 90 for $17500 but that was not what I wanted. The dealer needed to sale that boat and priced it low. I can buy the 2005 Lowe that I posted about for between $11000 and $12000 but it has no warranty. The owner said he has not used the boat much and it still looks like new. I think it is a pretty good deal on the boat but it is not exactly what I wanted. It is in my current price range and I would not have to be in partners with the bank on it.
    I think I have talked myself out of this boat, at least for today. I may just wait and find something at a later date and use the boats I have for now. Tomorrow with probably bring a different way of thinking.:eek:oooh: I think I have until Monday on this boat, just in case I change my mind again.:smile2: I would still like to hear from someone that owns one of the 2070's.

Thanks again

13. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    David,
    The best advice that I can give you is do not settle for anything less than exactly what you want. I searched for a year and a half for my boat ('05 2072 SeaArk). If I had purchased something else I would probably be mad at myself for not holding out for what I really wanted. If looking for a new boat the Grizzly 2072 seems to be a good choice for the money. For the kind of fishing that you'll be doing a 2072 will do just fine. Good luck!