Thinking about a canoe. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by boswifedeb, Jul 29, 2008.

1. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    My husband and I would like to get a canoe. Probably next spring. We thought we would start our search by asking y'all if you have any advice. We don't want anything too fancy, just something to paddle out a ways, fish and enjoy the scenery. Thanks for your help.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Deb, i think Old Town makes the best, second choice would be an Osage. Both are good boats. I carried a nice buck and another man in an old town a year or so ago and it handled like it was empty. Very stable and not real heavy

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Go to a canoe/kayak store. They can tell you what kind of canoe you need for the type of water/fishing you will be using it for. They also have some really good sales during the fall and winter when they are trying to get rid of old inventory. Good luck, let us know what you get.

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've bought a few from canoe rental outfits at the end of the season.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    check out sawyers cavalars they are lightest i know of.

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i always liked and used coleman canoes that was a few years ago not sure if they still make them no longer use a canoe due to back problems

7. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It'll probably be next spring before we can afford to do it ( hope we can!:embarassed:). But we'll spend the time in between scouting them out. Thanks again!

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I just bought an Old Town Whitewater canoe a couple weeks ago. I haven't canoed since boy scouts. It is alot better than those aluminum canoes we used back then. Mine is 17' long and has a carrying capacity of 1500 pounds. There is room for 1 friend,or 2 or 3,a cooler,tackle boxes,multiple rods,and my bait box. I can still throw my net with all that stuff in it. I love it and think you will too.

9. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Thanks, I'll put that on my "to check on" list!:big_smile:

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If your not used to being in a canoe much just don't forget the life vests:eek:oooh:

11. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    That's for sure. I'm a good swimmer, but my husband never really learned how to swim. So we would definitely be using life jackets!!:wink:

12. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    My advice....Look at sit on top Kayaks instead. I fished from a canoe for years and sense I tryed a Yak I will never go back. There are many different types and styles. They handle much better that a canoe. I have nothing aginst canoes as I said I used one for years but I can not think of anything that a canoe can do as well as a Kayak. Unless it is haul LOTS of gear. My 2 cents.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 17ft gruman and we love it-its stable and we can pack alot of gear for camping on a sand bar....weight and carring are a factor look at a aluminum canoe-buddy had a fiberglass and he was always getting out to drag........We take a river weekend trip once or twice a year.....ITS A BLAST!

14. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'll throw in a good word for Native Watercraft's Ultimate Tandem 14.5: http://www.nativewatercraft.com. I know it's "cadillac" class but, as a hybrid canoe it is very stable and handles extremely well. It is worth the investment.

You'll always need life jackets, but get one of those angler kinds like I have and you can use it to store some tackle; my lifejacket hasn't gotten wet yet (I have a Heritage Redfish 12' SOT)!

Heritage and Native are all part of the same company. The company is getting big through many acquisitions, but they provide great service and nice people. They also sell boats only, not boats and playtoys, or boats and storage boxes. They also focus on well-designed boats, not boats that you see for rent on the play beach (no "diss" intended!).

16. MissouriMudbug

MissouriMudbug New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can never have too many boats - right?

I prefer my kayak (Tarpon 12 sit on top) for summer solo fishing and my Mainstream 11'6" sit inside for cooler weather (it's dryer).

When I go with my wife we take the canoe. It has a lot more room and she likes to sit higher.

My son has decided he likes an Old Town Pack canoe best for solo river trips. It handles very well and has more room for overnight trips. I use a double bladed paddle on the pack canoe. Canoe seats are a must for us. The back support is crucial for longer trips. Both my kayaks have solid backs on the seats.

17. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If your husband doesn't swim much, then I wouldn't advise fishing for catfish in a canoe to begin with. If you hook up with a large cat from the side it can be mighty unsettling. Some canoes are more tippy than others. Mine, a 16 foot square-back Pelican Bayou, is very stable, but it is pretty heavy to push around with paddles. I love the amount of stuff I can carry, but I wouldn't put it in the water without a large trolling motor. I've outfitted mine with everything but the livewell, have way more battery power than I usually use, and can sneak up on just about anything.

18. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

I have a old 15' aluminum canoe that I have had and used for more than 30yrs. It works well for me in that I can set in it backward and use it solo, or use it regular when my wife and I are out. We started going canoing together when we got married and it is one of the few things we do well together in 32yrs of marriage....she has a listening to husband problem that has not got better over the yrs. I was lighter back then and now I would seriously consider a 17' if my wife and I were getting to start using it regularly. I have a trailer for mine now so I(old man) don't have to lift it on top of car. IF weight of boat is a issue might consider a Soris River brand.

19. pebblepoint

pebblepoint New Member

State:
    Marion
    We've had canoes for our 43 years of marriage. The quickest way to a divorce is using a canoe. Over the last 7 years, we have discovered short, rotomolded, individual recreational kayaks. Now, we Never use our canoes.
    don
    illinois

20. boswifedeb

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We ended up getting a 14" Rogue River (Old Towne) canoe. It works great. We ran jugs in it back in April, when "The Great Flood" started. Not tipsy at all, and worth every penny. There are a lot of folks that claim they are awkward, heavy, or tipsy, but we didn't find this to be the case.