Thinkin of building a 12ft flat bottem wooden boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by whiskerchaser, Aug 4, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Im gonna build a 12ft flat bottem wooden jon boat. What I need is a list of materials that im gonna need. What kinda wood should i use? what kinda glue? Do i need to put somekind of water sealer so it dont leak what all do i need to know o and maybe someone has some plans that i can use that are easy to understand i just want something that will float and that will fit 3 adults thanks a lot guys i appreiate the help.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is no way that I would trust a 12' flat bottom boat with three adults. It is an invitation to bad things. Your probably going to spend close to $100 to $150.00 to build this right. Probably can find an aluminium boat for that price. But three adults - plus tackle, motor, fuel, bait. Man, don't do it.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If it were me. I would build it a full 4ft in the bottom. And 14ft long. but 12 will work if its 4ft in the bottom/
    All we used was Yellow Wood glue. And strips of cloth out of old T-Shirts. Plenty of nails and glue.
    But then again we used 1/2" marine plywood, And 2"x2" for ribs every 16" and the transom was a 2"x12" then a strip pf cloth and glue and then 2 x 6" then cut out the spot for the motor.
    Also the sides had lots of flair. Or the sides were laying out. 48" in the bottom and abound 70" across the top.
    These boats ran great and held up to commercial fishing for years.
    I need to hunt up a picture of one and post it.
    Also the sides stuck down below the bottom then there was a piece that was as thick as the over hang. And that was nailed and glued to the sides and bottom. There was 5 pieces on the bottom one on each side three in the middle. That was to allow it to turn and also protect the bottom if you ran into a long. It would skip over it.
    Pete

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If a woman can do it right, you can too.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7r8zf/id7.html

Thats how easy building is with good plans and a good design.
    She showed up alot of men when she built this 21 footer.
    The story behind building this boat is a tear jerker.
    A girl's love for her father.

I just wonder if she needs another daddy cause I need a boat.

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

How about a 14fter then? also I cant find an aluminum here for that no way not even close all the dealers and people here sell them for at least $600 for a really lousey one that will barely float the good ones are around $1200.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got a bite on a 12 footer extra wide two days ago for $150.00 I already have a 12 out here. I have just been keeping my eye open for two of my friends whom are looking for something cheap to get around small waters with.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    James, in the library is an article on how the US Coast Guard determines how much weight can safely go into a boat, and how much HP can be used to propel the boat. Use the formulas they provide and see if the weight of 3 adults, tackle, bait, anchors - basically anything in the boat except the wood, screws etc. could weigh. A 12' boat probably would handle two adults, but when you start putting an extra hundred of pounds in a small boat, everything starts changing drastically. It is your safety, and that of your friends. Do the calculations the right way and then make an informed decision. Always err on the side of caution. You will live to have gray hairs that way. LOL

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I can't find the post but Stonemaster has plans already up in a thread.

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Yeah i saw it but i need a materials list and he cant accept pms anymore so i cant ask and i wanted to check the thread again but i dont know where he put it i think he put it in one of the states.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    When I was a kid my granddaddy built an 8ft.plywood boat to use on a pond.I fished out of that little boat with my daddy and granddaddy that's 3(2men and a kid) in a very small boat and I was in it a bunch of times on up into my teens we never had any problems.It was flat bottomed and dubble ended and it was wide and deep sided with a seat on each end and a bench seat in the middle.It was not ment to be used with a motor but paddles only and it was only moved one time after he built it when just took it to the pond and left it.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

[​IMG] Homemade Wooden Flat Boat ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    stonemaster

thats the name of the thread try a search. I don't know how to copy a thread, well looky what I did click on the homemade wooden boat.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Do a search on Google for wooden jon boats. You'll get a hit or two where you can get cheap plans, complete with materials list, maybe from uncle john.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I keep telling yall there aint but one place to get plans and all these boats are stitch and glue.
    The easiest boats to build. Building these framed boats are a pain. A real pain if you want something that looks nice. The average person has no clue what lofting is and how to go about it but you can build a boat without lofting with the right plan.

I would highly rcomend the first boat you build be stitch and glue no matter the size or type. There is a reason that 75% of all boats that go into the construction phase by the amateur builder are never completed.

you can spend a dime on plans and make it a costly endeavor and a major headache.
    Or you can pay the professional designer/builder a fair price for his plans and have fun building without hidden surprises cropping up in the build where you have to shrug your shoulders and say, Oh well , there goes another 60 dollar sheet of plywood, I wish this was more clear in the plans.

When you build off good plans the nesting alone will save you a ton of money over alot of the amateur plans and you'll still wind up with alot better boat.
    what seems to be more expensive up front is 99% of the time saving you money in the end when it comes to boat building, plans, and material.