thinkin about gettin a baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by indiana_fishin, Oct 22, 2005.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    I'm thinkin about gettin a baitcaster soon,i love hearin the baitclicker run when u got a nice fish runnin :) I'm thinkin about gettin a realtively cheap one just 2 try out.I was at Wally world today and was lookin at a Shakespeare SKP 2000 i think it was?Anybody got any opinions on this reel?

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bought one and after a year the baitclicker quit working.

3. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Spend the few extra dollars and get an Abu 6000.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya pretty much get what ya pay for in this world. If ya wanna get it for learnin purposes by all means do it. Once ya have mastered the use of a baitcaster I would definitely upgrade.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Get a Abu 6000! one of the best baitcasters u can buy.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Go with a Abu Garcia 6000, 7000 or a Penn if you want a reliable and quality reel. If you want one to try out or learn on, I would suggest a Shakespear Tidewater 30LA. I have used all the above and they all have performed well. Good luck.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am with Walter, the tidewater 30L is a good reel with a loud bait clicker.

8. indiana_fishin

State:
    Indiana Baby
    are these reels 40$ or under,like i said i kinda want just a decent one till i know wut im doin

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    if you want to keep it under $40 pick up a tidewater 30L they are great reels

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no. the ones there telling ya to get are $80 and up. the abus are great. i only have so many cause i got 2 6500's for $40 each on clearence (orig $76.95 each). a 6600d5 for $59 (orig $99.83) and a 5500 for $35 (orig $65.00). there top quality and great lifetime reels. for your budget the tidewater is a good deal too. try and find one without that clunky line counter. lol. i had a skp 200. $29. the clicker got weak fast. o removed the side plate and bent the spring steel mec to apply a bit more pressure to the star and the clicker was louder than the day i got it. i believe it was a defect in these cause lots of folks have said this. other than that it was a good lil reel for getting me started.

if it goes bad remember one thing. wally will take it back. guarenteed.

11. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sure an ABU, but I was stumped when I bought my Daiwa Millionaire, it cast 10 Percent farther, and reels in a lot faster....Good baitclicker, and holds a ton more line then the 6000......But you cant go wrong, its your choice...

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sorry. a typo in the last post of mine. i thing the 6000's are about $60.

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Was also thinking about baitcster do they make the 6000 in left handed model?

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yes, all their models come in left hand, might have to pay a extra buck or two though.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Save Your Money I Had Two 2000 And Didnt Make It Half The Season.
    Ambassadeur Has Been Great For Me Just Picked Up Three More 5600c4's For My Guide Service Light And Handles Very Well For Beginner's Around 60 Bucks .

16. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    If your lookin to get a baitcaster be sure and set that knob correctly.I hold the rod tip up let the weight fall andkeep tightening that knob until the weight no longer drops.Then back it off a halfturn.

Also use your thumb!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

to avoid backlashes press your thumb on that spool as soon as your bait/lure hits the water.

I like the Abu's 6500 and have 2
    Also agree you get what you pay for

17. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    If you ask me the best on the market is a Penn, they are well build strong as a ox and will last a life time. You just can not find a better reel than a Penn.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If your looking for one that works well and wont break the bank get a tide water 30L.That was the first one i got when i first started using baitcasters,i didnt want to spend a fortune an a baitcaster untill i found out if i was going too like them or not.Now i use nothing but baitcasters.But the 30L is a good reel for the money and holds a ton of line.

19. indiana_fishin

State:
    Indiana Baby
    thxs 4 the help bros,where can i get a tide water 30L?

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I would buy a garcia 6500c if i were you.......it was my first baitcaster, well my first big baitcaster, i had a small one , but it's a huge difference from casting the big boy..........it's a great one to learn on......