Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Thinkers

847 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveMcK 
#1 · (Edited)
This is something that I have been pondering for years. Always thinking I would figure it out. Always thinking I would prove it so. Keeping it to myself, as if the solution might increase tournament chances.... or possibly lead to some other catfish secrets. But, I'm bored. Trying to stay off my feet in order to give my knee pain a chance to go away. So, I'll put this out there for opinions, insight, etc.
First off, catfish are unlike scaled fish. They use their feelers to search out electrical impulses of baitfish. This is why a telephone, the old electroshockings only effect catfish. it takes a greater charge to effect scaled fish, like a generator. Electrical currents or charge to catfish is like yelling in a humans ear. Shark and catfish are more alike than catfish and scaled fish. They are highly sensitive to electrical field. Anyone ever been under a large multiline power line on a cold winter morning, maybe deer hunting, and you could almost swear you can feel an electrical field around you? Possibly hearing the static of it? I have many times. This is what I call an electric field. If, this were water, there would be no catfish here.
I have even noticed that on my river, right next to the power house was the worst place to be. 200 yds down was 95% better fishing. This verified by actually sight fishing, for years, the bulk of the fish were not right at the power house.... even though 98% of the bait was.
So, getting to my point. I have always anchored sideways across the current. This allows me 24 feet of boat to fish from, with no need to move rods when a fish is on. Contrary to 8 feet wide where you jugle rods and have to pull the fish up one side. However, after 20+ years of doing this, 100's of fish over 50lbs, I can say that 95% of the fish are caught on the corner rods. Why is that? Every outing, 10 rods out, I'll tell my guest, bites will only be only the corner rods. And that's the way it is... always. Rarely ever an exception, unless of course, in still water, slow water, or deep water, or fishing a very sharp underwater ledge.
But in fast current, it never fails. Experience has proven this, and I'm not a rookie, not by a long shot. Why is this? My theory, is that atoms in the water are building a charge as they cross the bottom of the boat. Just like sliding your foot on carpet. Or, another example, air molecules rubbing each other causing lighting to break out as the electric field in the air reaches a max point. The boat actually makes a noise, a distinct hum. I'm no scientist, but there is some distinct reason why only the corner rods catch fish.
So, I'm looking for insight, conversation as I ponder this. I have considered rubber coating the bottom of the boat, however, this adds 100's of lbs. And, I don't think it would slove the issue because the friction is still present. I think it could be proven by running a wire from the boat to a ground stake on the bank and use a multimeter to see the charge?
It sounds crazy, however, on all boat motors, you have what's called a sacrificial.... dang, I can't think of the name. In other words, manufacturers have known for years that the movement of the water, creates a charge, causes corrosion...,therefore a replaceable piece of softer metal is on the back of the motor. Downriggers used in trolling are known to put off a charge and have a marketed "black box" to increase this charge. Point is that it's not as crazy as it sounds.
Since I fish a lot by myself, I'm moving away from sideways anchoring because.... if more rods are not an advantage, assuming there not going to get a bite anyway, then why fight 2 anchors. One upstream is so much easier to pull if you use the engine to move forward rather than pulling. I'll still anchor sideways in slow water but going to try it the other way for awhile. This is not a boat repair issue, so mods feel free to move wherever.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well I have a all aluminum Polar Craft 16'7" bass boat with ice runners. My last boat was aluminum to and I noticed that if I had the depth finder on I would catch more catfish. Some of the grounds were made threw the aluminum hull. I had always wondered if was good or bad but as long as I had some eater fish I was happy.

#4 ·
I always turn mine off.... secretly thinking that this was a catfish repeller, however, I have nothing to back that claim and realize that a certain"charge" might indeed wake the fish like caffeine. I tried to study up on this years ago. Looking into the adjustable charge that you can get from trollers downrigging, the big ball, using a "black box" to add current or charge. Even studied how shark fishermen were using these coin batteries to catch shark. I have even experimented with the vibrators that go in phones. The issue was current, making it adjustable, to find the right setting. However, I eventually gave up those ventures, realizing that it stemed from boredom from fishing and took a break from it. However, I would love to see studies done on these topics, by someone wiser than me, with the variables removed, such as fish in a tank.

#5 ·
I wonder if boat fisherman have noticed any difference under High Tension lines crossing the water?[/QUOTE]

I dont think it makes a difference around me. We have 3 crossings on my river close to me. One of the best nights I have had running jugs was under a high powered line crossing. Some times not so good. I fish around 2 of them regularly. Its hit or miss. It seems to mostly center around the shad location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.