Things you've seen while fishing or hunting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ladyfish50, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Last week my husband & I were once again on Dorcheat Bayou doing some bream fishing. We'd just started going there this spring, & realized that this place is incredibly beautiful. While there, we've seen a pair of Canada Geese, we see the white egrets & great gray herons. We've seen & heard wood ducks & mallards. One trip, we happened up on a beaver hut! Some friends of ours saw a huge swarm of bees up the side of a Cypress tree. Another one made a beautiful picture of an owl. And, of course, all the turtles & snakes, etc. that you usually see. I've seen some of the most breathtaking sunrises & sunsets while deer hunting. I've seen bobcats, foxes, coyotes, a wolf, & all types of birds.
    He finally made the comment,"We've seen more things while fishing & hunting than alot of people will never see in a lifetime". I think he's right.
    What are some of the "wonders" you've seen?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went to school in Magnolia and use to hunt dorcheat bottoms. It's a nice bayou, and your apt to see most anything.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    one word... bigfoot

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always see weird stuff while fishing, two years ago i watched a guy let his truck roll backwards into the lake, last year i saw a conservation agent sneaking along the bank and decided he wanted to fall into neck deep snake infested water, also last year i had 6 blue angels come over the lake at tree top level, didnt hear them till they roared over, i was right in the middle of a cast too, talking about causing a huge birdsnest:smile2:

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You always see something different and interesting out on the water or in the woods, a couple of the best things I've seen is a baby bobcat came running up to us crying when we were taking a break on the river bank one time, it had lost it's momma I guess. One time in the woods I had just shot a small buck but had not moved from my spot on the ground yet. I hear something running through the woods, then i see it's another deer, he comes from all the way across a hard wood bottom and up the other side right to the deer I just shot and then just stands there 3 feet from it looking at it...as to say, holy crap...you been shot...lol :smile2:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I see Bald Eagles and Lots of wild life while fishing in the Land Between The Lakes in Western Kentucky. One time however while fishing at the Gallatin Steamplant in Tennessee....I watched the Famous Striper Guide Ralph Dallas step into a frozen icy culvert and he slipped and fell and took a quick slide down the culvert and landed into the turbulent Rolling waters in -2 degrees. He went completely under and came up and continued to fish in 20 mph winds. He layed down in his boat to get out of the wind and fished on to catch 2 beautiful stripers that day....each weighing over 25 lbs. One heck of a man!!!:crazy:

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well this year alone I have seen flocks of loons heading north, geese and ducks of all sorts, three river otters playing together, white tails swimming across the river, a full rainbow, a 37" channel cat brought to the boat as well as many others. Many, many eagles, turkey vulchers, hawks, owls and bats. Not to mention all the different bug species, I swear every year I see a new bug or two that I have never seen before.

8. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    i always see wildlife everytime i go out,recently seen a few eagles, and a clutch of baby possuims and their mama walking across a clear cut area about 5 ft from me.i always see alot of reptiles, and of course deer,and wild hoggs. some turkey ,this is all down approx less than 70 yards from my front door, i guess i was lucky when i bought this place here in the cypress bayou, never a dull moment here,this morning there where candians in pond 1,3 as well as some nice marrards.anyways just thought i would post what ive come acrossed lately.

9. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    i seen a naked lady before while fishing with my grandpa. i was around 10 or 11:smile2:

10. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Besides the regulars such as deer, coon,owls, otters, etc, I guess the strangest thing my wife and I have ever seen is the time we saw three deer chasing a full grown bobcat down the riverbank. Not real fast but just herding it down the bank. The bobcat would stop and the deer would walk up to about 7 or 8 feet from it and it would move a little further on while just watching us float by. Love being on the river.

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    lol... you are the winner!!!! :smile2:

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ivs seen some weirdo's once light some misquito repeler thing. it burst into flames and they guy holding it threw it in the lake from the old boat. then they fished it out and light it again. they got it to a dull 6" tall flame finally.:smile2:

later they lost a rod some zebco 33 type combo to a fish. then broke a line. they said wow thats 10lb test. i :smile2: and said buddie i use 30 and they test that. other than human fools ive seen some cool things too.

last season in a deer stand i saw 5 jake turkeys and they almost walked right under me. and thats rare around here. they are now with conservation efforts making a come back.

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Oh yeh, another great thing I've seen is being out fishing in prince william sound in alaska in an 19 ft boat and all of the sudden being surrounded by a pod of killer whales. Uhhh they where alot bigger then the boat.... I just curled up in the bottom of the boat and cried for my mommy...lol :smile2:

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was deer hunting a few years back,watching a squirel in a tree doing whatever squirels do.All of the sudden this hawk went busting thru this tree like someone had dropped a bowling ball out of a airplane.He hit that poor squirel knocking it out of the tree.The hawk snagged that tree rat befor he could hit the ground.The whole thing took maybe 3sec.and the hawk and squirel were gone.Now that was cool.
    smokey

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the replies so far. The mention of turkeys reminded me; last year while deer hunting I had a whole flock, probably 20 birds, come out on the pipeline & feed from right under my stand, all the way down to my husband's stand! And me without the camera.
    Also, this year while on the Red River bream fishing one day, we saw a mink scampering along the bank going from log to log. Then later that morning we saw a big gator. He was swimming around, then climbed up on a pile of brush & just watched us. That was really cool! He was probably just over 6ft long, and fat!

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I arrived in the woods well before light but as usual here comes a lazy deer hunter past me twenty minutes before light, I wasn`t to happy about that but what can you do. Well around 8:30 this same hunter comes walking past me again with the back of his blaze orange jumpsuit shredded in the back, it looked like he and a bear had a disagreement. About an hour later another hunter came by and asked me if I saw the guy with the ripped up clothes and I told him yes and asked him what happened. He told me the guy with the ripped jumpsuit had to take a dump and did so in the back of his suit and had to cut the back out of it, that kept me smiling the rest of the day.

17. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Well lets see the best thing ive seen lately was a younger couple about 18 or so doing "it" oh the sorrow of not having my camera

18. Wudman

Wudman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was fishing a small pond one day and heard a big commotion up in the cat tails. I eased over there in my boat and saw a big water snake locked in mortal combat with a small catfish. The catfish was probably 7-8 inches long. The snake had swallowed him head first and gotten about half of the fish into his mouth. The fish had managed to raise its pectoral spines and they had exited the snake's body 3 or 4 inches behind the hinge of his jaw. Looked like a bad day for all involved.

Wudman

19. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I have seen some things out while fishing that will sound like lie's,a crowd of collage kids running around nekid in the woods,a bunch of people skinny dippin at gravel pit (bare azz beach)lol,a couple "doing it"at another gravel pit and they thought nothing of stopping me to say hello,some guy sitting on lk. erie completly naked covered in blood where it looked like he had ran through briar's.

20. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Reading all the posts, I`d say we collectively are the luckiest group of people in the country, to be exposed to the REAL things in nature as much as we are.

We recently had a close encounter with a large manatee. Was trotlining with Matt, a BOC bro I met here, in the river. This 9 ft animal came up to the boat and let us rub and scratch her head and back for over 20 minutes. Very cool!

One of the funniest things I ever saw is when the Amish tourists come to Sarasota, which is one of the few approved communities for them in Florida. (That`s why I grew up here, of course) They love to fish and get precious little chance to do it, so when they get someone with a small boat who will take them out in Sarasota bay, they pile in. We would see a boat full of beards and suspenders running just as hard as it could go, and every one of the guys has his hook in his hand, baited and ready to go. When the boat slows it is like someone threw a cast net over the whole operation, every one of those guys wants to be the first one in the water and the first one fishing! The lines go out on all sides at once. It is a riot!:smile2: