Things to watch out for when teaching people how to catfish

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by Ketch, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    About 15 years ago, I worked at a small fiberglass shop in central minnesota. We had a total of 12 employees and boy and every one of them was a fisherman. I was the only one who had ever catfished.

One day we decided that I should take them all catfishing. I tried to think of areas where I could take 8 guys shore fishing, but I also wanted to take them to somewhere where I knew they would catch fish. I called a fishing buddy of mine and asked if he could take us out that night on his pontoon. He agreed.

So, there are 9 of us on a very old, cable-tied-together pontoon heading out at about 7 pm to look for channel cats. I grabbed a bunch of worms and even more frogs. Someone else grabbed a few coolers which were fully loaded as well. I showed each person individually how to rig their lines (they brought rods, I supplied weights and hooks) and then which way to bait their frogs. Pat (my buddy who owned the pontoon) was also helping guys get rigged up.

Pat and I were just helping the last 2 guys get rigged, when one of the other guys started yelling. His rod doubled over and it looked like he had a dandy on. We quickly instructed everyone else to reel in as Pat and I got ready to land the fish.

Did anyone notice I forgot to mention a landing net....

Pat and I each straddled a pontoon on the front of the boat, and told Kenny (the guy with the fish) to reel it up between us. Either one of us was used to landing cats by hand. We sat legs dangling in the water for some time before Kenny got the fish to us. I started to reach for the really nice channel cat as soon as Kenny got it up to me. That's when I started to get really wet.

I guess, when you have 9 guys in a boat, and most are about 200 pounds or better coming to the front of the boat to see the very first catfish any of them had ever caught, it sent the front of the boat down quite a bit. Needless to say, I had my wallet, money, and everything else in the pockets of my jeans (as did Pat) and about the time the water got up to my belly button, the other guys heard Pat and I yelling for them to get back to the boat. After all that, I slung the channel over the rail and crawled back into the boat.

Kenny got a beautiful 14 pound channel cat for his first catfish. Pat and I got soaked. I got the most out of this deal since Kenny had become my fishing partner after that night for the next 5 years.

All said and done, we brought home a big mess of cats that night ranging from 1.5 pounds to the 14 pounder that Kenny caught. The next night, we finished off what was in the 2 coolers full of beer and had quite a fish fry.

All but one of those guys catfished with me several more times, and a few of them would now tell you that catfish are now their preferred fish.

Moral of the story, either bring a net or be prepared to get wet when fishing from a pontoon with all rookie catfisherman.:big_smile:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    way to take one for the team!!

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Great story thanks for shareing!:big_smile:

4. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think of that story every time someone wants to go catfishing their very first time. Doesn't stop me, but I prepare better.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like a great time, wet or dry.:big_smile:

6. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for the story. It still sounds like everyone had a great time eventhough you had a premature bath for the day. :smile2: