Things to think about

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The Ark. Blue will eat almost anything that they come in contact with, that does not move out of it's way. When I catch some eater size cats, usually those under ten pounds, I alway take a look see at their stomach contents. I have found something like grass, T bone steak bones, golf balls, acorns, grapes, persimmons, fish remains, mussel shells, etc. in their stomachs. The reason I bring this up is, if you know of a persimmon tree that has branches that hang over the water or a tree that has grape vines growing up or on it, you can bet that the fruit from each falls into the water. This is an excellent place to fish for blues if you can time it just right.

Also, if you know where Loons and Cormorants are nesting, this would be an excellent place to fish, because channels and blues with be there eating the pudding (dropping from the nesting birds). While on the subject of diving birds, a lot of people do not like to fish around them, because they think that the scare the fish away. I do not agree with this premise and fish in the general area with them all the time. The Loon and the Cormorant are not there to just swim around and enjoy themselves. They are there to eat so they can survive. Both will eat more than their stomachs can hold and will regurgitate their food. Thus offering a free meal to the catfish in the area, plus small fish and sea gulls.

The next thing I am going to discuss in something that I do not do, but have seen people do it with success. When you are cat fishing and you see your rod tip bouncing a tad from action down at the far end of the line, what do you do? Some of us wait until the rod tip bends downward toward the water and then give a good hookset or if they are using circle hooks, they just raise the rod up slightly and begin to crank the fish in. Then there are others that try to set the hook at every bounce they see. Their reasoning is that catfish don't have fingers to grab hold of the bait and thus they have it somewhere in their mouth. I would suggest that you play with this technique when you are just fun fishing and then decide which is the best approach.

Big bait or small bait during cold weather fishing, that is the question. During the summer months when the water is warm, the metabolism of the catfish is greater than it is in the colder water. So, in warm water conditions I would suggest that you use larger baits if you so desire, but in the winter time under colder water conditions, I would suggest very small baits. The catfish is sluggish in the winter time and it's metabolism slows way down. Also, if you are drift fishing, slow your drift speed way down to as slow as you can go. You can accomplish this with drift socks, five gallon buckets or turning your trolling motor where it is pushing against the boat, rather than pulling it. If you anchor down to fish, maybe you should consider extending your time on selected spots. Whether you drift or anchor down, remember that in colder waters the scent of your bait will not dissipate as quickly as it would in warmer waters, thus your coverage area is lessen.

If any of the readers of 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' ever has a question about what I have written or maybe on something I have never discuss, please feel free to visit the Carolina Catfish Club section and make a post with your question and I or someone else with the Club will try to get right back to you.

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the great info Mac. Keep it coming....

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I experienced the rod tip bounce quite a bit. I attributed it to the fish pinnin the bait to the bottom to get a grip on it. As we know channels and blues have a severe overbite. Meanin their bottom jaw is back further than the top part. This makes pickin a bait up off the bottom difficult. I added an oval shaped pin float to my leader. This susspends the bait up off the bottom and allows a good clean gulp so to speak of the offerin. No more bouncy bounce and good clean take downs and runs. Addin the float to the leader has improved my hook ups immensely. :wink:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will say as the water cools way down the Blue catfish bite gets hot BUT it will be a slower bite maybe seem like the fish is just pecking at the bait. Just because you are getting a slight peck doesnt mean its a small fish alot of times you will be suprised at whats on the other end of the line when you tighten down on him. Is say get out and enjoy the winter time bite.

5. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i agree with you rivercatsc it was late last year and we had caught several nice fish and then the peckerheads had moved in and we started catching a bunch of bull heads , well long story short i noticed that my rod was bouncing so i planed on pulling the lips off the next bullhead that hit ,so i picked it up and i could feel the little rascal tugging at the line, it was at nite and i had it thrown up in the mouth of a feeder creek, well i said he will pull it and i am going to teach him a lesson, the line bounced i jerked and all hell broke loose he wasn't a pecker head it was a 58lb wateree blue who was swimming off with my bait:eek:oooh: when i finally got my line tight he had been swimming with my bait from the right side all the way to the main channel on the left side directly under the boat and never really made the rod bend :big_smile:well it was funny facing the right jerking and having a fish spin you completely around and teach you a lesson :wink: but i got the fish and the lesson. he was cpr so i can get him this fall.