Things that make you go hmmm

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MSgtCatfish, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ever wonder why the theory behind "bleeding" red hooks is it makes bait appear wounded and triggering fish to feed or supposed to resemble a gill flash yet the theory behind the red Cajun Line is that red is the first color to be filtered in water making it "virtually" invisible? I know this has probably been discussed, I just find it amuzing and wonder ...

Who's cheating who LOL!

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Thought about that one myself. All I can say is hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

3. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've thought about that also, i dont use the line or those hooks anymore anywho. It does make ya think though...

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    never thought about that one, but now that you got me thinkin bout it.....hmmmmmmm

5. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Pull up a chair boys, especially you there Master Sargent.
    I'll give uns a few minutes to do so

Alright ya'll comfy?

Red line is somewhat transparent, therefore light will pass through it making it dissapear.
    Red hooks are non-transparent, being solid, light can not go through it so there for they appear red.

Now to make you go hmmmmmmmmmm
    Blood is transparent(light will shine through it) so does the blood disappear?:confused2:

Now that is solved, who knows what a post turtle is

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you r right and i know what a post turtle is :wink::smile2:

7. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Joe,

Good to talk to you again brother. Oh yeah and about your post ... man I sure am glad you let me get comfortable before you broke that down for me. My way of thinking was that blood should let shine throught it the easiest since it is a liquid and not a solid. I reckon we are just tricking the fish. Now, can you tell me how come I can't catch 5 70 pounders each day during a two day tournament.

Hold on, let me get comfortable ...

Ok, I'm ready - let'r rip.

Thanks Joe.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    It might not make any difference to the fish, but that red color sure catches a lot of fishermen!!

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    think thats about the sum of it. i dont buy for color. ive caught hundreds of cats on black gamakatzu hooks. and i dont use red line either.

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

Its a marketing gimmick for red fishing line. red disappears in deep water which is why alot of salt water fish are red. but the depths we catfish in, all wave lengths of light are still present so the red line wont disappear. i'll believe the red hook theory more then the line. but the red hook I think is more of a curiosity thing or attention getter then a blood thing.

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I sincerely doubt catfish see color other than maybe distinguishing between light and dark. Id say movement, taste, and maybe even electrical current they can sense. Red hooks are like the silkscreen on bass lures, meant to entice fishermen. I never understood the colored line as I dont think in catfishing it makes a bit of difference as long as they cant break it or wrap it around my prop or anchor line.:angry:

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It's all a gimmick, I never bought it and I never will.

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang I am confused.........imagine what it is doing to the catfish. I am just goint to use the good old big game line and regular hooks. After reading these posts, I dont know what color I am suppose to use now.......

I hope good old green line works.........Maybe I need some camaflogue line?

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Another thought on the red hook......Imagine, this, a group of blue cats circling your hook, one turns to the other and says, Bill look at this one we got a bleeder here, didnt the last you ate like that constipate you?

I dont see a red hook making much of a differnce during a feeding frenzy.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Its all about marketing and sales pitch...anything to make a sale to the consumer. Myself, I believe when it comes to catfish its all about the sense of smell more so than sight. Just my opinion.

16. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well, maybe these things will work really well in the Red Sea!

I use the red hooks - got a bunch of them for Christmas one year and still have some and they are the easiest to find and buy in the style and size I use down at the local Bass Pro Shop. really don't think cats can see that well, everyone states they are blind and feed more by smell (all the biologists) I think I've caught just as many when I was fishing with nickel or black finished hooks as I do using the red ones.

Just something that made me go hmmmmmmm when I started thinking about it.

I do have a bait that I think draws more hits but that's classified - super G 14 classified!

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think that confidence is one of the top factors in any fishing. If red line, or red hooks make you feel more confident---by all means use it!!

18. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and a friend was having the same discussion the other day. Does make you wonder.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    dont you think if they made line & hooks give off blood scent, they would work better than just the red color they are made of..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:wink::eek:oooh::smile2: