Things that go bump in the night

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JimmyJonny, Sep 22, 2007.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ok folks, I'm always interested in asking people about themselves and different experiences they've had so here I go again. I would like to hear some stories about weird things you have heard or seen while night fishing. I fish alone all night a lot with a attack pitbull for protection. I will admit I hear things some times that freak me out, lol. I'm no chicken but hey I'm alone out there and with all the drug crazed people out there you just never know. Heck I was freaked out 3 weeks ago by a pack of wild cats, lol. Every time I turned around shinning my light I saw more cats eyes glowing. I wasn't afraid but I sure didn't want to read the Newspaper headlines saying " Catfisher attacked by wild cats over chicken liver",,,lol. Anyway I would love to hear some stories about " Things that go bump in the night "

2. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    was camping and fishing on lake keystone NE OK had two 16 year old boys with me one of them scared of every noise in the woods. It was a cold spring night mid 30's and we had a fire going under the bolder we had camped under when the scared kid says hay Will look at this snake. After yelling 3 times to get away from the snake under his arm I taught him what a copperhead looks like and that it would be BAD if it were to bite him. Upon inspection of the camp site I found another one that the fire had heated up enough to liven up. still a very enjoyable night of fishing.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was bank fishing at the lake one night and a heron flew over real low making the most gosh-awful squawking sound I've ever heard. Must've jumped 2 feet in the air before I realized what it was.

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Oh yea, I forgot. I was flipping a worm one night and while I was twitching my rod I wacked a bat, lol. I don't know if it was by chance I hit him or if he was going after my glow stick. Either way it was kind of weird and funny at the same time.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    One night I was fishin' a deserted crick bank; with Lonzo ( scrawny, excitable city boy) and Nero the Hero (a good ol' country boy). About 2:00 am the night exploded with a huge splash, followed by something large crashing through the bushes. As Lonzo was getting up close, and personal with the lantern, I followed Nero into the jungle (HEY he had the fillet knife). Turning to watch Lonzo , Nero observed "Poor Lonzo--he's just a dumb city boy, he don't know what makes noises like that, YEP--them's monster noises". I still live by those words today!
    PS we found out later that there were beaver there.

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Sounds like those horror movies when the girl runs to the woods yelling "who's out there." And your yelling, "what on earth is she doing". lol, not me man I stay put ; )

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when i was teenager, took friend fishing on shore at lake mead, nv. (he wasn't a outdoor kid) we set up on point of land and laid down on blankets to sleep. middle of night, he hears something. (been hearing things all night) a rock rolls down hill above us. i turn on flashlight and see eyes. they move, and we watch. it's a coyote trying to come down to get a drink i'm sure, but not john. (now gonna have fun.) i tell him (as coyote gets closer cause curious) this is strange. it should be afraid of us. comes closer, you run for water cause they hate water, and i'll throw the knife at it and be right behind you. (did i forget to mention he's a little fat?) the coyote moves closer so i yell, run and i'll throw! john took off for water, coyote took off for who know where, and i'm rolling on dirt laughing my tail off. when john hit the water, it sounded like a car went over the cliff it was so big. it took several hrs for him to cool down enough for me to feel safe to go back to sleep.
    gary

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    ONE NIGHT FISHING AT A LAKE BACK HOME I WAS SITTING IN MY CHAIR MINDING MY BUSINESS AND FELT SOMTHING ON MY FOOT. IT WAS ABOUT 4 IN THE MORNIN, I LOOKED DOWN AND THERE WAS CENTIPEDE ACROSS THE TOP OF MY BARE SKIN. SURE DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR ME TO GET UP.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    was out fishing by the colorado one night back in june. was by myself and it was pretty light cause of the full moon. light enought to see ok, but not light enough to really make anything out. i noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and when i looked there was nothing there. then i saw it again, looked again and nothing there. this happened 3 or 4 times and i would turn my head as fast as i could but still, nothing out there. about this time i started to ponder my sanity, when i realize a little spider dangling from the bill of my hat. the weird things i had been seeing out of the corner of my eye were this little spider making a web on my hat.

another time about 2 weeks ago i was out fishing with my son. it was about 2130 and we were catching a few channel cats. i cut one of the little ones up for bait for flatties and baited up my hooks and set em out. about this time, Blake (my son) asked what happened to the bait. i told him i cut it up and put it by the cooler. he went and looked and said it wasnt there. i told him yes it was, but he was adamant about it. after about 5 minutes of arguing with a 6yo i walked over and was going to show him where it was. i looked down and sure enough its gone. i asked him what he did with it and of course i go the standard "nothin" response. i heard something over to the left. i looked up and there is a little scrawny stray cat draggin off my cut bait. i was going to get it back but blake said we should let the little thing have it, that it looked like he was hungry. now how can you argue with that. we didnt catch to many that night, but it sure stick in my memory.

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Several years ago we had a family camping on obed wild river in tennessee. all had a great time. about 2:00 in the morning my young son started clowning. I took several pictures. it was a few weeks before we got the pictures developed. in one of the pictures there were two eyes about 4 inches apart and 2.5 feet off the ground. we went back to the spot but could not see anything that looked like the picture ie cans, bottles ect. we concluded they were eyes. probably a passing bear.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't know if I can relate this story well enough to have you understand, but will give it a try.

Seven years ago, my wife Nancy and her sister went for a walk in the timbered part of our property. They were on a downhill slope of a logging trail heading for the creek. This trail is bordered by lindens, oaks ,elms and scrub. It is basically was like walking in a high ceilinged tunnel. As they told the story, they could hear the sound of jet planes, military sounding planes, multiple ones, approaching and quite loud. They began to look up through the trees trying to see them, when about 4 feet over their heads 3 football sized jetlike planes went over in formation. Triangle shaped and quick, they went down the trail and followed the creek and it's twists and curves and disappeared out of sight. Never saw them again. These gals, unlike me, are a sober and sane bunch. They saw what they saw and I would give my left bad leg to have seen those things.

12. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :eek:oooh: I hope that was on a private pond or something. Still though. Catfish for bait? Pure Blaspheme........

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    There should be zoning laws against raising peacocks within earshot of a fishin' hole. Those things sound like someone is cutting up a woman with a dull knife. The first time I heard one, I set world record for "FAT BOY HANG TIME". Those things will give you goosbumps even after you know what they are!

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was sitting on the river bank one night. It was pretty cold, and I was wearing my winter coat, hood up, and about half asleep in my chair. Suddenly I heard a very close "whup whup whup" sound, and saw something in the air out of the corner of my eye. I ducked down a little, but only had a quarter second or so to react, and I felt it brush the top of my head. Looking in the direction it had gone, I spotted the biggest owl I've ever seen sitting on a pile of rocks next to one of my poles, about 10 feet away.

I watched it for about 30 seconds, then it flew off when I moved around. As best I can figure, it had intended to use the top of my head as a perch.

15. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Gary,that's pretty cool! Most owls stay as far away from man as possible. They're incredible birds & lethal hunters.

J

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i was walking in one morning in the brush to get a spot i like to fish its still dark had my lantern going well i got right ontop of a bunch of dam turkeys that where allready off the roost for some strange reason limbs and weeds crashing all around me loud as hell scarred the total shit out of me wow good thing was i didnt brake my lantern running in the air 3 feet off the ground lol didnt know where i was going BUT i was making dam good time i tell ya!!!!!!!!! i still cant figure out why they where off the roost allready to this day.

17. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    A spooky thing to me that happens quite often when I'm setting up throw lines out in the Platte river & I go out to check the lines & step in a 4 to 5' hole & end up stepping on a fish. Mind you I have nothing but a flash light to see with. It's a very un-easy experience. I hope and pray it's not a cat that will barb my foot as I'm usually barefoot. I end up jumping like a 3yr old girl who's just realized a spider has crawled across her leg.

J

18. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    One night up in Paris Texas, I talked my girlfriend into doing some night fishing with me while my dad, and bro in-law were playing cards.

So, we took the 4 wheeler down to a public lake in the area, and started fishing.
    It was pitch black outside, and all i had was a flashlight, and the headlight on the 4 wheeler.

So, as i was setting up my fish pole, I hear a truck going FAST down the dirt road we rode up on. I turned the lights off, and told my girl to duck (because it was so late, I thought it might be a good idea, not to be spotted by any drunk red necks driving around looking for trouble, which is somewhat common in that area).

Well, in Texas you are allowed to carry a fire arm in public if you have a permit, and I had one at the time. So I had a Walther PPK/S .380 in the saddlebag of my 4 wheeler. Well, when i ducked, i reached over to the saddlebag and pulled it out, for justin (just in case).

So, the scum sucker driving the truck, spotted us somehow, and slammed on his brakes, flies out of the truck, and all i heard was the slide to a 9 MM slide forward, CHINK (if you around guns enough, that sound is unforgettable).

So at this point i about shit myself, not knowing if i should shoot before being shot, or stand up and find out who it is. So, the guy flies out of his truck and points that 9mm right at me, so I decided to point my PPK/S right back at him. It was the classic stand off, and was really really scary!

Anyway, as soon as he realized i had a gun pointed at him, he puts his gun behind his back, and tells me to do the same thing, so i did.

Turns out, he was some renegade douche bag that was looking for poachers (people hunting at night with spot lights). He said there was a big problem with poaching in the area I was in..
    So him and I had some intense words, and things about got ugly. He asked me if he could search my stuff for hunting EQ. I told him he was more than welcome to (being that it was the best way to defuse the situation, he had obviously been drinking, and i had a few myself, but I'm not itching to kill anyone or get me or my girl friend killed).

So after he found out I was not hunting, he tried to act like he was my buddy, asking me about fishing and what not… I wasn't haven none of it.

He ended up leaving, and to this day I can't convince my woman to go anywhere in the woods with me at night, because of that idiot.

I never did find out if he was law, Game Warden or what.

To be honest I was so shook up over it, I didn't care.

I was happy myself and my girlfriend especially, didn’t get harmed.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was fishing down at a small lake by my house for bullheads for bait. I kept hearing something along the water in the weeds in front of me. Shined the headlight down and all I could see were small eyes. Got closer and it looked 3 or 4 big rats. Looked a little closer and it was 4 baby raccoons. The were still young enough not to be scared of me and so I spent the whole night trying to keep them out of my chicker livers:big_smile: They were pretty good company, actually, once I figured out what they were, so I quit trying to scare them off and just started tossing them a big chunk of liver every time I re-baited.

20. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    fishin jordan narrows one night with a couple buddies, good time.. we see a van pull up not far from us. we didnt have any lights on so they didnt know we were there. a few minutes later we hear this lady freakin out f' this f' that f' you, calm down the man says.. this keeps goin'...we could tell the lady( correction girl ) was out of hand, on somethin' maybe? this keeps goin on for a few and i remember whispering to my buddy , i'd probably just of thrown her in the drink by now*(she really wasnt being nice at all). next thing you know,SPLASH!!!!!!, headlights on , engine runnin', vans drivin away..wow..what to do?? well, said girl changed her whole disposition .. when the van the van came back 2 minutes later she was alot nicer. the whole time they didnt know we were less than 100 ft away... that beat any reallity tv out there.