Things made in China

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SHARON FLEMING, Nov 10, 2007.

1. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I decided after the news about the rape drug being put into kids toys that I would not purchase anything that is made in China. Went Xmas shopping today and what a nightmare, every thing I picked up was marked made in China. Every baby doll or car or truck was MADE IN CHINA. Almost every garment was MADE IN CHINA.

I don't buy our grandkids or great grandkids a lot for Christmas but I do like to have a small gift for each of them under the tree Don't know what it will end up being this year but I can guarantee you it won't be MADE IN CHINA.

:angry: Doesn't the good ole USA make anything anymore? I was jusr wondering how every one else feels about this or am I just making to big deal out of nothing?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    WHERE IS JOHN (aka POSTBEETLE) just kidding but I feel the same way as you do ......and no your not makin a big deal out of it

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sharon I agree with you on this China mess. I would like to buy american made. But can't seem to find much that is not from China. There was an article on the news where the filler in medicine is being purchased from, no regulation China. What is one to do.If you read the fine print on items to be purchased, you will really be depressed.The news stated that China was the biggest producer of apple juice. Can you believe that. I'll shut up.:angry:

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    15 years ago if something said made in china i would not have it,:angry: but any more you dont have a choice. heres what im lookin at tho, take a good long look at that product and compare it to somethin made here.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Good luck, Sharon!

It may have to be something homemade by you, or research it on the net.

We've sold the country to China, (and other countries, but they have the biggest chunk, for now) they just haven't picked it up yet.

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Perhaps I shouldn't have said WE did, unless we are politicians.

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

State:
    Texas
    They will take us over without firing a shot.:sad2::sad2:

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    By the way, Hershey is moving to Mexico. Can't even trust chocolate.............:sad2:

8. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    No! It's not just you that feels this way. It makes me sick when I see 9 out of 10 trains double stacked with containers FILLED with CRAP coming from china.
    :angry: :angry:

Guess where most if it goes? Wal-Mart!
    I bet Sam Walton is rolling in his grave!
    :angry: :angry:

T.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you refuse to buy Chinese, you'll live the rest of your existence in a cardboard box with no windows because if you cut one it will be with a Chinese made razor knofe and razor blaze.

Although parts of computers are American made, the actual microchips and processor in all probability aren't.

To my knowledge there is only two CD-Rom makers worldwide one of which is lite-on and neither American. These Cd players go in everything from boom boxes to car stereos, to computers.

You may buy an American made GE refrigerator. It doesn't mean half the parts in it aren't made in China.

The Chinese are now getting into building jet engines.
    The upside is that those engines will be for Chinese airlines. They wont go on any Airlines based in the USA.:smile2:

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I feel the same as you all its a shame

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    its just because china is cheaper, and everythings gotta be cheaper.....
    oh and it's not the rape drug they put on the toy, its some sort of chemical that turns into the drug when ingested:crazy:

before buying something from china, do some research on the product and see if it might contain something bad...that's what I would do anyway

12. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We were discussing this in a class the other day and a guy said that we can still buy LEGOs. They aren't American made either, but he said they aren't made in China or a 3rd world country. Later I'll try to do some research to find out.
    Hand made gifts may be what we gotta do this year. Everything made outta wood. (I think we still have some of that here.)

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I was-am a union construction laborer. Bought USA products all my life. Now it is almost impossible to find them. Even the old standards are moving out. Carhart is an example. If you dont look at the labels you will wind up with foreign made Carharts. Our American made vehicles are assembled with mostly foreign made parts. My Chevy truck has parts made in Mexico or Canada. If the trend continues we will all be workin for minimum wage. Our forefathers must be turning over in their graves to see the way the American people of today just keep on taking and taking. One of these days we need to take this country back from big business. I am retired and so my income should be guaranteed. But I cannot be sure it will be enough to support me much longer the way prices are going up. Think about it. Cheaper made goods sold at higher prices.

14. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
  15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree with you Sharon. It is a real shame that America does not manufacture goods anymore. Most of the industry in the states have become services type of work. Big business has led the corporations to move everything out of the country since they can get cheap labor and make triple profits. It really bothered me when Wrangler left and went to Mexico along with Carhardt. It seems as though nothing is made in the USA anymore, not even car parts. I would vote for a high tariff tax on all imported goods and products so the corporations would feel such an impact they would have to bring it back to the states. I believe in Capitalism but I also believe when all manufacturing jobs are taken out of the country for the sake of a buck something needs to be done to interveine. THis is only hurting our own economy and is building up the rest of the worlds economy. On the flipslide, we consume more goods than anyone else so unless we are willing to stop buying these goods nothing will ever change. Supply and demand dictates what price is set (just like oil). If we buy, they sell, and to maximize the greatest profits. Thanks for starting this thread. It gives me an opportunity to gripe a bit.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its no fault of the big businesses. Lets lay the blame where it really is.
    The greedy American.
    The greedy American that demands a high wage, wants everything in the life even the little things but dont want to pay anymore then little or nothing for it.
    So the big businesses here paying someone 30 bucks an hour on an assembly line should just forget profits and sell their product at a loss so the Americans are happy?

No, He sends his business overseas to make Americans happy with his prices and still manages to make a profit.

I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat before I sat here and lost my butt and my investor's butts.

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The solution is to get unions in those countries. Drive up prices of cost of goods. Will eliminate sweat shops, raise taxes, create a social welfare system. I think the solution would be to send every Democrat in America to foreign soil and teach 'em how it is done. Vote Hillary, she will get you your ticket to Social Welfare Pieces Corp. at Mexican prices. Take your toothbrush.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :boss:I told ya see....WE NEEDED JOHN.....THANKS JOHN!!!!!!!!!

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "The Chinese are now getting into building jet engines.
    The upside is that those engines will be for Chinese airlines. They wont go on any Airlines based in the USA."

Sounds like a really great reason NOT to buy Chinese jet engines. If we don't buy them, they can't afford to build them just for their own airlines, so they won't have any airlines. If they won't ride any airlines but their own, and they don't have any, they'll stay home. Works for me! I remember being briefed when China first got the bomb, before it became general knowledge. They didn't have any aircraft capable of delivering a bomb from China to America, so the joke got started, "Watch out for Chinese building 50' high towers."