Things in the Garage.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DryHole, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For about as long as I have been in my house I have always had a fish tank in the garage.
    About 8 years ago I got my hands on a used Acrilic 55 Gal. Tank from a Pet Smart that was closing down.
    Over the years we have had a bunch of things go in and out of the tank.
    The only domesticated fish is a nice size Jack Dempsy that my neighbor gave me about 3 years ago. All the others are from the Bayou down the street.
    My son Shane has a couple Catfish Channel and Black Bullhead that he stuck in there when they were less than an inch long.
    The Texas Cichlid's are 2nd generation from my tank. I have had many breed in this tank!
    They are heardy fish and it was cool for my kids to see the breading cycle and the Fry Ball that resulted.
    I released all that I could get in the net but a few were left behind to continue the cycle.
    We have a Cool Aligator Snapper that my son found a few weeks ago.. This lil sucker is already wearing out his welcome as he has attempted to take a hunk outa my hand today when I was cleaning the tank.
    Above the tank we have a cool baby Cotton Mouth.. I know I know.... Done get me started!
    Should have seen the size of the Coral Snake we had a few weeks ago!
    My son is truely an "Outdoorsman" as his Father and we just have a passion for all things!
    We feed the fish all kinds of things, From June Bugs to Worms from the garden to Minnows that Shane brings home on a daily basis from hanging out at the creek.
    Its made its way into the house here in Shane's 30 gal. tank he has set up in his room.
    He has Gar,Texas Ciclids,ahd a couple algie eaters.
    A few weeks ago he came home with about 10 lil Bass Fry.
    He had no idea what they were and figured they were just a new Minnow he had not seen.. Well it only took a week or so and the Gar had there way with the lil Bass.. Kinda feel bad about that:sad2:

Oh well I guess that I was just thinking of showing you all my tank and was hopeing that others do kinda the same thing..
    I kinda figure the next step is to take one of my 55 gallon blue plastic drum's and make a minnow tank for live bate reasons... Its been on my mind for a few weeks now.
    Thanks for takeing the time to read my read:006:

2. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    I got a sweet new didgi camera for Christmas..
    The stinkin photos are HUGE!
    I did not even take the time to see them in full size..

I will re size them and re post them here!

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for giving me the heads up on what my boys may be bringing home in a few years!

Aaron

TA2D

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks for sharing the pics , scotty

5. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Thanks for posting those pics. Very interesting set up you have there.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for sharing the pictures....I kinda like them big.....better on the eyes.

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    that is cool there.

I have wanted to have a baby gar as a pet - I only saw one once and I hope I will see one again soon. The big ones just won't fit in an aquarium.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Your boy has a great name to say the least.

SudDawg

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have a smaller aguarium, maybe 40 gallons, that I used for shad and chubs this past summer. Has a slow leak so I kept is outside. Shad didn't work well, but I can keep chubs alive for a long time.

10. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for sharing the pictures

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    That's cool. I may have to try something like that.