Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was putting on new fishing line on eight of my rigs yesterday and it dawned on me that some fishermen might not know certain things about such a simple task. Fishing line comes on a spool and paying attention to some simple things can eliminate curls (twist) in your fishing line. Note: read the instructions that came with the reel as it relates to how much line the fishing reel spool will handle and work properly.
Circle Electronic device Data storage device Electric blue Gramophone record
Automotive tire Rim Font Gas Circle

The top of the spool gives information about the fishing line and the bottom the bar code.

For best results turn the spool upside down with the bottom being on top. Run the line thru the guides on the rod and tie the line to the reel spool using a simple double knot. Try to get the rod tip directly above the spool. After you have done this, this would be a good time to lube the level wind gear, then start turning the handle to respool, I use two fingers holding the line above the reel spool to keep tensions on the line. Now it's time to add the terminal stuff. I tie a swivel to the fishing line. Then I cut me a piece of leader line, I use 50-pound test. I take the leader and snell the line to an off-circle hook, the I use a Palomar knot to attach the leader to the swivel.

Here is a little trick I use to cut down on hang-ups while drifting and using the Carolina rig.
Hood Light Yellow Automotive lighting Tom-tom drum

Most people put the peg in their cork at the top and you will notice I put it in the rear pointing toward the hook. If the peg is in the front, the likely hood of it hanging up on debris is greater than just the round head of the cork.

A little side suggestion on preparing your mooring lines. I use nylon rope for this. I measure how much rope I need to secure my boat to my dock. In my case it's nine feet. I pull the rope off its spoon and measure nine feet. Then I wrap electrical tape at that spot and leave a space of an inch or so and put another piece of electrical tape on the rope. Then I cut between the taped area and then I heat the nylon rope until it melts a bit.
Light Gesture Wood Rope Knot

If you need more information or clarification, please feel free to ask and I will try to comment further.

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great tips. I have a heck of a time with spooling spinning reels. I've gotten to where I stand the spool on one end or the other, reel a bit, check for twist by letting the line go slack, reel a bit more, repeat. If I start seeing any sign of twisting, I flip the spool of line over and reel from that side for a bit, checking for twist all the while.

Used to be , you could count on line coming off spool without twist in it, but seems like any more , it is twisted sometimes right on the spool. Could just be that I'm a cheapskate and buy cheap line a lot lol!
Spinning reels are different from bait casters. Try putting your fishing line spool in water and then load up the reel or let someone stick a pencil in the spool, hold the spool horizonal, while you load up the spinning reel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts