Things found

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by ole whiskers, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

What are some of the things you have found metal detecting?

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got my metal detector last Christmas and havent had much time to use it, I live in a town that was there before the land run in Oklahoma. I took my daughter who wanted to do some "Treasure Hunting" as she calls it and we were messing around in the alley or I should say alley right away (no Alley) behind my house, and I found a rowel off of some old spurs, then found a old file/rasp used on horses.

I just bought another place, it is out in the country and has an old house that has been there probably since the land run time, or maybe a little after, I am anxious to do some detecting there.

I enjoy the metal detector, my daughter loves going with me, I think she likes the digging and searching for the treasure mostly, I let her use the detector every once in awhile and she really gets a kick out of it. Good way to spend some time with your kids! What kid doesnt like treasure hunting, lol look at us grown men and we still like "treasure hunting"

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I haven't been in quite awhile because of my knees and back but my best find is a 1853 two and a half dollar gold piece I found about 3 miles from the house. Also found a half-dime the same day. It was 1853 also. They were about 10 feet apart.

4. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I bet when you found that you thought you were going to get rich in no time.Ha:smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alan that was a great find. I don't know the present value but anyone would like to have them in their collections.

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Haven't checked in a while but the book said about two hundred a few years ago.They were called quarter eagles and were about the size of a nickle.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks,
    I have a little metal detector and was going to use it to look for gold, Then I was told by national park leo it was 50 years to get caught using it.
    Anyway my son has a friend who went for walk in the woods. His wife lost her ring, He came and got it and they found the ring in like 10 minutes.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I would love it if you guys could post some pics of the coins you've found in the special interest coin collecting thread. Seems like since they moved us there we got lost in the shuffle, maybe you guys could breath a little life back into with your treasures. We were going pretty good for
    a while, I'm sure we'll pick up again. I will certainly be watching these threads, and, hope join the ranks soon with a mid-level detector.

Thanks,
    Richard

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Congrats on the gold, depending on condition the price jumps dramatically as your grades get better. I will ask you to check at the base of the eagles claws, where the fletchings of the arrows would be. If by chance you have an 1853 D you are looking at a much higher price tag. (not the D after the 2 1/2,but just at the end of the arrows). It starts out at $1,700 as apposed to $180 for VF-20. Irregardless I'd say that's a monster find!

Richard

10. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    Ive found some old civil war relics. Couple of horse shoes and even parts to a boot, and some little metal parts to wagons and stuff like that.

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    This is some of the rings I have found over the years that I have been detecting. I still have ever thing that I ever found, just never found a good reason to part with it, until now. But with gold at 800 hundred an ounce, it's looking more tempting then ever.

Attached Files:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Slick thats impressive...wow dude guss calofornieey is the place to be....!

13. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice haul........thanks for the pics, gives me hopes......

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Kenny, But California is not the only state that looses things.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I knows that but you there with all OF THAT:wink:

16. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My great uncle and grandfather were trappers back when they first move into Oklahoma. My great uncle had probably 3-4000 indian artifacts that he had collected over the years, after his death he gave them to one of the Universities that use to bring their students down to view his collection, and listen to what he had to say about the indians in the area. But my Grandfather told me he had found some old Spanish gold coins, in the area. I know the exact area he found them in, I believe he did find coins there, my Grandfather was not a big story teller. Me and my brother is planning a trip back up to the area. The only problem is he found them in a stream, and I dont know if my metal detector would pick them up, any thought on how to search the area?

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Boomer, they make water detectors. I owned one at one time and that is where the most of my rings came from, out of swimming lakes. if I were you and didn't want to invest a lot. I would go to a coin and detector store and try and rent one for the trip you and your brother are planning on taking. Most of them do have rentals, and the water will not hurt one of them even if you dropped it in the water.

18. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would like to go up there and give it a shot, my grandfather, was always truthful with me, no jokes, just matter of fact. The place in question, is about a 3 mile walk into the mountains, hunted there before. The stream come out of an underground cave at the point where he as suppose to have found them. Might be worth looking into the cave also. My grandfather never told me what happened to the coins, but my great uncle wandered those hills trapping for years. That are was considered bad land territory also, so it very well could be someone stashed coins there.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary it sounds like you have a very promising location to hunt. You could be one trip from a millionaire. There is a web site called Kellyco.com where you can look up metal detectors, new and used. I would definitely give that cave a good check also. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Just got a little shot of adrenalin there.........how have you held off so long?

Richard