things are not looking good here guys for the ol Riverbud

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by riverbud55, Jan 10, 2010.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Got told by the Boss (my 81 year old Dad) Thursday that we got to cut the overhead labor (me) and I get another 23% pay cut after having getting a 17% one this time last year or about $600.00 per week from this time last year. Just don't how I'm going to make this one work. No more play money

What really does SUCK big time, guess I'm going to have to give up my place down on the river and going to be lucky enough to be able to visit and I think ya all know how I love that ol river

I just hope I can find the $'s in the budget to keep my North River boat paid for ,but just don't know,
    Think I'm going to try and sell the new VW I got back in July when I turned in my 93 Chevy Blazer as a "cash for clunker" got my truck and its payed for

It may get lot worse before it (IF) get's any better,

Our Company (metal fab / Structural steel fab shop) that my Dad and Mom started 46 years ago may not make it past a few more months, got Informed by our bank of 30 years that they will not be extending our line of credit past March and there are no other willing to help. Got to come up with $80,000., by march. Hell can't even get a lone against our property/shop that we own $90,000 on but should be worth more then $500,000. What makes it bad is that there is hardly any work on the work order board and not much we can see coming in, and with 20 people on the clock its not a good thing. The 14 guys out in the shop are lucky to make 24hr weeks and are who are the ones I feel sorry for.

To see our shop fold would be like having family die. I grew up with it literally in my back yard and it's the only thing I have ever known for work , Been working out in the shop since I was 10 years old when it was just family getting the work done

Hey folk's thanks for listening and Hope to be able to see ya all out in Blythe for the gathering and god willing the Nat'l gathering In KY

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Brother I am sorry to hear of your troubles, but I can tell you that I'm right there with you. Last year of rough on everyone. It's even harder when you have employees that depend on you.

I'm self-emloyed (I distribute Snyder's of Hanover products) and the last half of the year was horrible. I'm in no danger of losing my livelihood, but I'm down about $40,000 on my income in 2009 VS 2008, and I've been trying to do some re-finacing and the banks just will NOT lend money. Credit Unions seem to be a much better option to attain any kind of loan or line of credit right now. Look up the American Consumer Council on the web and join it. Most credit unions will allow you to join when you belong to the ACC. I'm working with one right now that's probably going to let me finance quite a bit of debt into an unsecured loan that's going to save me some bucks each month. Not ONE of the local bank branches around here would work with me.

I hope you can make everything work out for the best!

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Man sorry to hear that Times are Tough all over I sure hope something "gives" for you and your family and all the employee's as well, and you all pull through the tough times and keep profiting. Best of Luck from KY.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Sorry to hear about that Dale. I remember you saying last year you had to make cut backs in the company when Richard was interested in looking for work there. This is becoming such a told story in todays economy and a lot of us gots to feel fortunate that we even are able to have a job much less being able to wet a line in todays stressful times and needs. I hope everything works out ok I know way too many people out of work or hours and pay was cut. They are talking about cutting the teachers pay 12% next school term plus 4 furlough days, if the union does not agree it could be a massive lay off again at Los Angeles Unified and increased child to teacher ratio. We already had a lay off last school year and it could happen again after the end of this school year. Pay is tight as it is and furloughs and percent cuts will make it worse.

I know you will keeps us informed and hope the best works out.

B

5. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    Man sorry to hear that about your job in all but keep your head up I"ll sure you find a way

6. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    A what going on brother how you being doing while a another year and a lot of fishing to do

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Man"!!! :sad:
    I had no idea it was that bad Bud. I very sorry to hear about all of the bad news. I wish that there were someway I could help you on this - because I look at you as a friend that I've knowed for years - I still remember the frist night that I met you & Billy Jo down at the river when Phil (Deltalover) & I pulled up to you guys on the dark road, in that Geo Metro full of $hit.
    (Smile)
    I just hope that the main man upstairs look down on you and find some way to fix this for you Buddy. :pray:
    :fingers-crossed:

8. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    WHAT UP MY BROTHER HOW YOU BEING DOING

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Just fine Big Rob - Just waiting on my fishing season to kick in.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Doing fine watching football eating some Lousiana fried chicken and drinking some budweiser.
    Yep another year a lot of fishing to do.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sorry to hear of your situation, my brother in the same situation, works for Tampa Bay steel, laid off a bunch, and told him he was goin from maintenance to machine operator, took a big cut in pay but managed to keep his job. Now he is still there for maintenance if needed. He used to get big bonuses. Another brother had a huge pay cut last year, wasn't told about it, it just happened and they told him he could accept it or find other work. I haven't had any work since end of Nov, and that wasn't much. I've had years where I made more than I have grossed this year. Hang in there, it will get better.

12. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Dale, I'm sorry to hear your family business is trying to crash.
    Losing the place at the river is disappointing but you can always do as the rest of do and trek back and forth with all our stuff as long as you can have a job to support it.
    I wish I could say something that would help.
    If you've been turned down for credit at two regular banks, doesn't that make you eligible for a SBA loan?

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Good Luck and I hope you don't lose that beautiful boat or your family business.

14. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Sorry to hear about ur company bro all u can do is pray about it and u family will find a way to keep the family company going. I know it hurts alot of people when people is not buying thing or some company not buying too but the money is out there keep ur spirits up and pray pray ur family won't lose it.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dale... So Sorry to hear of the work conditions....

You spoke about the Hidden Beaches cituation...and the slow down at work but we/I had no idea it was so bad.....

Maybe Plumbertom1 idea would work... but that does not bring in jobs and work....

Good luck to you riverbud and Dad's business

16. Badfinger

Badfinger Guest

Sorry to here about your situation Dale. At least you can go and work in the shop if need be. Jobs are hard to find all over. Hopefully the economy will pick up a bit quicker and all of us can get back to the work we love. I've been out since April of 08, the company I was working for was in full production, I got back from a 1 week vacation and was handed a pink slip and was told good luck. The company shut down two weeks later and then less than 1 week later was a vacant building. Then about 1 1/2 to 2 months later,"SUPPRISE" it is a vacant lot. The people that I worked with and myself have not been able to find anything about the company as far where it is or moved to. We hired a private dective to investigate the situation and basiclly the owner fell off the face of the earth. After 3 weeks there were no traces of the owner or his wife. Some think that his wife and him are no longer in the USA. Bastard!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Damn brother! Know how much you love the river. I just hope it all works out for you. Times are tough and I just hope the economy turns around real soon. Hate to read your post. Thought and prayers for you and your family buisness brother.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sorry to hear that Dale,,

I lost my business Sept. 2008. Like you, No work was coming in.. Had to let the boys go, and sell all the equipment for whatever I could get..and, felt fortunate to get those pennies on the dollar. If it happened today, I doubt anyone could even buy the tools, equipment, etc.
    Since then, It's been REAL skinny on the money..The work I always fall back on to keep the wolves away from the door is about done as well...

I sure prefer fishing the river as well, and, since the $$ shrunk up,, I've been hitting the local lakes, not as ,,,,Satisfying,,,,, but, it is fishing.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  19. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Sorry to hear about your situation Dale. Thoughts and prayers out to you and your family. Hope everything turns around for ya. Take it easy and keep your head up.

20. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Dale, that sucks big time. I wish ya all the luck.

Jaime