THIEVES!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by armyfisher, Aug 27, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    you wont believe this crap. 2 days ago my buddy and i go down to his boat slip and rig up some trot lines/ limb lines off his pontoon boat or however you spell it. well we set up 20 lines all together, baited um up and left um till the next day. well went down yesturday and we had 6 small cats biggest 1 weighed 2.3lbs, 2 gar, and 4 shell cracker, well we decided hell we got a good catch lets try it again, so we baited up and left for the night. well we went down early this morning to find all our lines cut,:angry: there were some carcasses from whoever cut um and took out fish. this really pissed my buddy and i off, that there is people(s) that are so darn lazy they dont want to even put forth the effort to fish they'd rather steal someone elses catch. the boat slip was paid in full by my buddy and technically thats his property, mind you there are about 15 other boat slips as well. has anyone else ever had this problem? i mean this is common courtesy i wouldn't go up to anyones lines or jugs and steal your fish, and i know you wouldn't do it to mine. i'm going to be setting up some video cameras i got to see if this person(s) comes back again. would this be considered poaching or just plain theft, anyone got any advice, thanks brothers.:big_smile:

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    There are plenty of threads on this and its probably going to start a quarrel but you should inform the ranger or dnr whoever do not take it into your own hands there is a thread on it SERIOUSLY GUYS! it will give you all the information you need...and some you dont lol...welcome to the BOC also bro

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I may have misread something but were ya'll on a public or marina dock?

4. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    i wont take it into my hands to the extent that i wont go down with a shotgun i just wanna know if its a couple of kids or some serious poachers, i know a few game wardens that i brought it up to, but with limited funding and everything else the state game wardens cant handle every case, and i'm sure there are plenty of bigger cases going on right now. for me i hope its just a bunch of kids, but from my knowledge i know there is a history of things dissapearing from the boat slips there were a couple of people who had rods taken and a few nets but nothing big. i mean if a kid walked up to me and asked if he could have one of my fish i would be glad to give it to em, thats the kinda guy i am.

5. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    we were on a private boat slip over at the miltary rec area. on clarks hill lake

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I guess there are low down, scum sucking thieves over there too. I've had stuff stolen off my dock. I know how you feel. Don't shoot anybody! It ain't worth it. A really good butt kickin' might be worth it though! Hope you catch them!!!

7. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    trust me i aint gonna shoot no one, it sure aint worth it, i might have um sit out there all night catching me some fish they owe my buddy and i, and mabey a good butt kicking but thats it. :smile2: heck i might just put out a reward poster. reward a huge home cooked meal a case of your favorite beer, and a complete rod and reel set with some gear included. thanks brothers, good luck fishing

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Being it's at a govt rec area why does the M P 's take over,Just wondering

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    My thought's exactly over here if you reported that the MP'S would be on the hunt for ANYONE poaching on goverment land!!!!!!!!!

10. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    heres the funny thing both my buddy and i are MP's stationed at Fort Gordon we do rotations out at the army rec. area. the thing is the local police dept. (columbia county) has control of that area, and the DNR/ game wardens rarely come onto the army rec area. As MP's we do have somewhat authority over the area but any violators we catch we detain and sign them over to columbia county police dept. granted the army rec area isn't very big but on the weekends we have a lot of soldiers that come down and party and there are only 2 of us MP's. On the week days the camping area caretakers keep the law and order to the best of their abilities. But you can't catch um all.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Get a cheapo game cam and surprise them. Put up reward posters up with there pics all over.

12. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I am currently in Afghanistan and I have a slip on the same dock you are talking about. I have the last slip on the left. My pontoon is taken care of by my inlaws who live across the street in the Waters edge neighborhood. We have never had anything taken but there is allot of free access to that boat dock. I think the Rec. Department should issue keys to the owners who have a slip there and that would eliminate access to all the others. I believe that if you do not own a boat there you should not be able to access the dock. Since you are both MP's you should be able to monitor the slips. I know that there is not allot of police presence there. I grew up on that lake. If you have access to a boat there is some really good catfishing there. The rip rap over by the little river bridge and the dam is a good place to catch cats. There are also some good fishing going towards Russell Dam. Hope you catch the thieves and get back to catching some good fish.

13. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Do the Game Cam thing !!!! Just try to use one of the infrareds, the flash from a regular one will alert them and they might steal the camera also... If the slip has a cover (roof) you might be able to rig a regular camera up high at an angle in a hard to get to spot...I hate a thief, I hope they have a boat and it sinks...

14. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    Thank you all for your imput we got a cam and another couple that has a boat out there got one for the other side of the dock. So hopfully by the end of the week we will have someone. Keep up the good fishing brothers
    -dave-

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont think it would be considered poaching, but at the very least it is stealing. The only problem with that is when you tell the police that someone took some of your fish or fishing equipment, it doesn't seem to get the attention that is needed to stop it from happening again. If I were you, I would open up a big ole can of whoop a$$. If it turns out to be kids......A trip to their house to talk to parents might be just the ticket. Most parents would be ashamed or at least should be. Good Luck and I hope you catch them red-handed!!!!!:crazy:

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you catch them post the pics here too.

17. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    if we catch um well take some mug shots and throw um up :smile2: thanks brother

18. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    you might be suprised if or when you catch them . we had one of those here on the river . he fished and hunted . he would keep anything that bit his hook . and would shoot a deer or wild hog no matter what size he was . most hunting clubs didn`t want hem in their club.
    he was cought by a limb linner one night . he just spotlighted hem and turned and went back up river . he knew who was doing it . just wanted to proove it .he had his 2 girls with hem or he might have made that big man swim . he probabley weighed over 400 lbs.

19. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I say setum up, figure out which boats theres and pull the drain plug:0a6:. You gotta leave a little note as well. I know its not the right thing to do, but I've found myself returning the favor to some folks ten fold.

Matt

20. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    well boss heres the thing we aint sure yet who is was or if they are adults or kids. and all the people who have boats down at the dock we know and trust. there are a lot of folks that come into our little cove and hook up to our dock illegally and there are a bunch of kids during the day and early evening that fish off the dock, trust me when i find the person(s) they are gonna wish they never stole our fish in the first place. thanks brother for the idea, :big_smile: