Thieves?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by low desert jonathan, May 14, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    With the economythe way it is has anyone noticed a rise in battery thefts from boats in there area? I can't believe the nerve of some people to steal parts off a parked boat in a protected driveway. I just spent $240.00 for a new battery went to start my boat this morning and found that someone had turned on the stereo with no volume and drained the battery. :angry:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I went out a couple or three weeks ago and found that some low-lifes had unbolted my outboard from my boat and made off with it.

3. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    some years ago fishing with my cousin in a NJ bay we got back to the launch only to find someone unbolted and made off with his electric winch... :sad2:

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea... Its getting to where you cant go out doors or even be at home and believe that the stuff in your yard or campsite is going to be safe....

Got to make others aware of these conditions and be our own vigilantiees.

bayrunner Ray

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just discovered, my jumper cables made from welding lead got stolen from the boat landing, out of my truck tool box that won't lock.

Bill in SC

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Last weekend while we were out in the boat, some low life stole all our food out of the cooler in the truck at the boat ramp. I have come to expect someone to steal beer if it is left in a cooler, but not a guys hamburger and hot links.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello!!! It sad to say this is the day and hour we now live in. If you don't double lock it up it will disappear. No scruples any more just needs to buy dope.

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Theirs nothing I hate more than a thief...

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I learned my lesson a few years back . I had left my poles and tackle in the boat while it was parked in the yard . Woke up to nothing left poles ,tackle , trolling motor and 2 baqtteries all gone . They tried taking the 9.9 suzuki but it was locked on so the couldnt . Aweek later probably the same idiots broke into the garage and stole 2 more tackle boxes with old junk in them . Also tried to make off with my cherry picker but it must have got heavy cause it was in the alley lol .

10. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well if they are stealin your food and stuff make em pay for it have the wife/gf or yourself bake some brownies or cookies of different flavors and put laxatives in em least they wont leave the crapper for a while

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    keep you stuff insured....i keep my insured by remington lol

12. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Trying to be proactive since I have friends that have lost something.. I've rigged up battery operated motion detectors with strope lights that works damn good in campgrounds. Caught one punk on the deck of my pontoon in the dark saying all he wanted to do is look at it. Riiiiiiight.

13. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Big thing in Louisiana is thieves stealing boat trailers at the launch.

14. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i my self fish from the bank, so i for the most part park were i can keep a eye on my truck, and i dont take stuff with me that im not going to use,and when i get home i put all my things in my fishing room in the house. i have been out fishing and seen folks leve rods,tac, boxes,just laying in the back of there truck or in the front of there car and i think to my self ( man one these times there going to be shit out of luck) i had to find out the hard way myself at one time.i have wrote them a note telling them to keep there stuff with them b/c of the thieves. its bad out there

15. takirb

takirb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    whats the best way to secure a boat trailer while at a campground when you're out on a boat? I'm thinking of just leaving it attached to my truck but even then, someone could just as easily cut the lock and make off with it :angry:

16. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Its sad that people are that way now. When I was a kid my dad never even took the keys out of the boat, just left it beached for the night. One time it was gone in the morning, but returned with a full tank half an hour later, it was used to tow a crippled boat in. You cant do that now

17. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    the only way i could think of is to back the trailer into a parking spot and bump it up against one of those wooden pillars that way even if the cut the lock and get the trailer off the truck they wont be able to move it since they wouldnt be able to swing the trailer in anyway

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I'm always a little worried when I leave my truck at the ramp lot. The one I need to use is way at the end of the lake and the rangers patrol but who knows how often. I've only seen them a couple times and that was during the day. The lake does have more secure and lighted ramps but they are at the unlimited area of the lake and my small boat and large waves don't mix. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay a fee at the No Wake ramp if there was security there all the time.
    I've never had anything stolen yet but others have.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's unfortunate but there's not much you can do about it. I fish all night almost all the time and have been lucky enough so far to not have anything stolen or vandalized (knocking on wood).

I don't leave a bunch of stuff in my truck and the trailer is insured. If they steal it, they steal it - I'm not going to change when I fish because of the dirtbags. Check your homeowner's policy and make sure your boat and motor are covered when they're in the driveway. Check on coverage for any gear in the boat as well.

20. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    One good thing about being poor. I have the oldest truck and the uglyest
    boat trailer in the lot at the landing. Nobody would want my stuff.LOL