Thieves got me again!!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Dec 31, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was coming off a new mountain Saturday when I got a call from a hunting buddy. He was back at a place we've been hunting in the National Forest since October. We found a real good area about a mile walk in from the road. We put in a climbing stand and secured it to the tree with a 1/2 inch steel cable and a hardened lock. That still didn't prevent some S.O.B. from stealing it. That makes 8 or 9 stands I've had stolen over the years. This was the first time in the last 6 years I've left a stand in the woods and it didn't stay there a month. Now I have a new blind that cost $250. I'm scared to leave it in the woods long enough for the deer to get used to it being there. I wish there was some kind of tracking device that I could put on them to help catch thieves. I'd quit deer hunting and spend all my time baiting and hunting thieves!

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Get an infrared trail cam and set it somewhere out of sight. It'll tell ya who's doing the stealing. Course if they get that camera too, that's another 100 or so bucks down the drain. Bunch of idjits that would do that in my opinion.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Engrave your name and address-telephone # on the stands. This won't stop the theives but if they miss it being there when they try and sell it they might get caught.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't understand the people that would do such a thing. There are few things that tick me off more than liars and thieves. Well....... maybe ex-wives.:eek:oooh::angry: yes, that was plural.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Billie, You can't leave anything in the woods anymore and expect it to be there when you get back. I've got a few stands i leave year round but it's in places where someone would have to have permission to be there and they will earn them if they get them also. The best thing i've found to do on public land is to just build ground blinds from fallen tree limbs in the area and keep it up from year to year. The deer get used to it pretty quick and the only thing you have to worry about is someone else hunting it if they find it.

6. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I really like the Camara idea. Thats one reason I never leave my stand in the woods. It seems that some people just don't respect others porperty these days. I can get into the woods and once i find a tree I can be setup in less the five minutes.

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Maybe public humiliation is what we need to do to thieves.The courts aint doing anything.I say make them wear signs in public doing a public service.Maybe have the signs read " I am a thief and now I am paying back."
    I can think of plenty of other things to put on em.

8. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Can poles be engraved without messing them up?

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Flathead_Willie, sorry to hear that. I think you're on to something though, the tree stand will now be your bait, and the thieves will be your new kill. Sounds like a good idea for a new sport!

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that is a good idea. put up a couple cheap stands and wait out side timber. when they go in sugar thier tank flatten all 4 tires smash out thier windows and carve thief into the fenders with an ice pick.:angry:

11. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    That just sucks. People with absolutely no consideration at all.

12. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i like the idea with a no flash infrared trail cam. put it where they cant see it and point it so ittl be lookin right at their faces.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Willy, I can relate. I've lost a few over the years myself. I had some brilliant trespasser tear down a cable last week then when they got to the opposite end of the property they tore a gate up. Funny part was they took the hinges off a gate set on cedars a foot in diameter an took both sides down. Go figure? why not kick it over to one side and drive thru? The point i'm makin is folks of this calaber be it theifs, poachers or whatever: usually Ain't real bright.:eek:oooh:

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hate the losers that give us woodsman bad names. Ihats exactly why it's so hard to find really good hunting land. the owners dont want problems and liability. I didnt have anything stolen this year. but, someone was hunting out of a stand i had set up for my son. it had a lot of cover on one side to keep the deer from seeing him in the stand on his approach. Someone hunted it and cleared out all the brush. low and behold the next time he hunted that stand a big boy came down the path and looked right up at him before he had a shot. i looked at it when i met him at the stand. he was completely skylined !
    Point is, I like to hunt my way. and it's not just respect these people lack. it's intelligence. they ruined that spot for us, AND THEM!! i watched for them and hoped i would catch them in it to tell them exactly what i thought. I never seen them....

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that you eventually find the idiot.

16. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Sorry to hear that. Ain't noth'n makes me madder than stuff like that. My SIL had a Tree Lounge stolen a couple of years ago a 1/4 mile behind my house, who ever got it had to trespass at least a 1/2 mile from any direction to get to it. So it ain't just public land.

17. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    The camaria idea is the only thing I can think of too. And scrib your name and number. But thay would grind it off.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hate to hear about your stands. I've lost a couple to theifs as well. One time I shot a nice 8- pointer on public land. I found the deer not far from where I shot it. I went to get help getting him out. I was only gone 30 minutes. When I got back, I passed a man on the way to my deer. He said Wher you going? I said I shot a nice 8- pointer and I'm going to go get him. He said I thought that I shot the 8 pointer. I said , I shot the 8- pointer. He said ,but I've already feild dressed him out. I said gee thanks alot. But thats my deer and he's leaving with me now!!!!!!!! He actually thought that I would give him my deer because he dressed it out. What a dumb a#$%&:angry::angry::angry:

19. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    That just plain sucks. It's the main reason I use a tree climber now. It goes in and out with me.

20. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    IMO we should never leave stands on public land too many dishonest people.If you need a stand on public property I would go with a climber.Sad but true.